Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the market for a used discovery

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 04:27 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: On the market for a used discovery

Yeah. I'm afraid the Disco is going to have to wait... I tried to make the case to my parents but with what everyone has said here it looks like its going to be a no-go. It doesn't help that we have a Range Rover at our lakehouse that has all but fallen apart. And yeah I check the crash ratings on the older CR-Vs and they were less than satisfactory. Looks like its gunna be a '99 Chevy Tahoe for me. Screw gas mileage.

Thanks so much guys. Sucks it won't work out now but once I'm out of school or have a little more cash I might stop by again (:

Joey

Old 09-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

wish i would have saw this before... i would go for it.. only find a better disco, learn the history. sure you'll turn into a bit of a mechanic (and a LRF junkie), but the experience is great (if you like this kind of thing). my parents were generous enough to give me $5k for my car, but i decided to go to work and get a better car, i spent a little over $9k on a 2003 discovery with 87,000 miles. i found the truck at a local used car place, after researching the history it turned out to be my uncles secretary's car, and they took meticulous care of it. i turn 17 in November, and plan on keeping my disco (even if i buy another car) at lest until i buy another land rover. you can find a good disco I for about 5,000. i would do it over a Tahoe.make sure they used 91+ octane, and did regular oil changes. don't buy over 175k miles.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A Tahoe? Really? Come on, get real. You dont need a Tahoe, a Rav 4 or CRV is all you need.
You say screw gas mileage, what are you, rich?There is no need for a 17 year old kid to drive a Tahoe. Non. Be smart about this. Unless your dadownes stock in the oil companies get a car that gets better MPG. 12 MPG for just you and your buddies to go cruising around in is just stupid.
This is why the rest of the world hates Americans. Because we are wasteful and we dont care about anybody but ourselves. Watch the BBC sometime, the Aisian World News, something other thanyour local news.
Do more with less and the world will be a better place.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:06 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you already have the Thaoe do tons of research and find something you and your parents like. Thats what i did and I found my disco and payed for it, and since then its been great. Unfrotunatly it doesnt work that way for everyone but whoever had mine before me did a great job taking care of it. Go onto autotrader.com and run some searches on cars you like and see what you can find. If you already have the tahoe just use it and SAVE SAVE SAVE! Good luck with finding a car and withcollege, im doing the college application thing right now actually.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

you couldn't give me a c-rv, or rav 4 = boring, useless, middle aged, tree hugger cars. spike we can no longer cruise around until were 20 in most states. 1 non relative per car is the limit now, if you go over its a huge fine, and a point on your license. i would try to find a good disco, but make sure your parents know the reliabilty isnt the best, dont lye to them. only thing i like about tahoes is the name, lake tahoe ftw.

I watch the BBC all the time, and all it dose is want me to be more wastfull, because i can. im not hurting anything but my pocket book.