Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass air flow sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 01:58 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass air flow sensor?

So recently installed new valve cover gaskets, kingsborne 8mm wires and bosch platinum 4+ plugs. Running rotella 15w40 with new k&n oil filter and factory air filter. Cleaned everything really well on the re-install. Now when i fire the vehicle up (2003 disco II SE with 158,000) It runs perfect for about a minute or so then the idle drops way low and wants to stall the vehicle. Has engine light on with codes i'm sure but live in a tiny town and don't have access to reader. could purchase one but on a budget. any recomendations? just ordered some mass air flow cleaner and am going to try and clean it.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you start spraying stuff in the MAF, think, did it run this way before you worked on it? If no, then recheck what you just did. The chances that it's a coincidence that the MAF went bad are slim. Did you remove the intake to install the plug wires? Unplug the Idle Air Valve and not get it plugged back in completely? Just a couple of thoughts.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Leave the MAF alone till you get the codes read. There is always someone with a scanner, be it a parts store or automotive mechanic.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM
7th Gear

Any thoughts on a good code reader that wont break the bank. Thanks for the reply guys!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:39 PM
7th Gear

It had done this to me once before but it was when i was driving and lost almost all power. Luckily was close to home and pulled it into the garage to start the above mentioned fixes. when i disassembled the upper intake i noticed a few things. the red retainer clip for the brake servo into the intake plenum was broken. (BIG DEAL????) not sure. I also cleaned the IAC valve with carb cleaner. Hope that was okay. Have triple checked everything under hood and cant figure out the loss of idle. will get ahold of scanner and get back with codes. thanks. Oh also days before went through Huge puddle engulfing vehicle in muddy water. Possible issues?????

Old 04-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you haven't checked the wiring connector on the MAF yet, do so. Sometimes in takes some force to get it plugged back in after you un-plug it.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would guess vaccum leak. Coming off fast idle then low manifold press at idle. Spray starting fluid around all tubes/hoses to chk for leaks.Eng RPM will change.Get fluid under upper intake manifold to get spray at injectors.Plug wires reinstalled on the proper plugs? Boots snapped tightly on plugs? $60 OBT tester from autozone works wonders.......Little orange one.....

Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

An Ultra Gauge is a decent scanner, code reader, and will display sensors you want to monitor, plus you program alarm points . $70.

Attached Thumbnails Mass air flow sensor?-ultra-gauge.jpg  
Old 06-19-2013, 03:47 PM
4wd Low
Default Code Reader

I know this thread is several weeks old, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in regarding code readers.

I have two code readers:

1. Memoscan U581 that gives code data, ability to clear codes, and shows live data, etc. ($50 - $70). Good tool, sometimes a little slow, but does what it is supposed to do.

MY FAVORITE
2. Torque Pro ODB2 app ($4.95 on Google Play) on my android phone and an ELM327 Bluetooth adaptor from e bay and a mazon ($10 to $15). Note that there are some reviews of ELM327 adapters being dead on arrival, but for the price it is hard to beat. If you are going to use it with an Android phone, make sure to get the Bluetooth version and not USB. To me, this offers an amazing set of features for very little money! I use this almost all the time and rarely use the Memoscan. I have three of these adaptors (keep one in each car), and they have worked flawlessly. My only complaint is I don't like handling my phone with greasy hands when working on my car.

Regardless, my recommendation is the Torque Pro app with an ELM327 Bluetooth adaptor!!!

I have no connections with any of the companies mentioned above, just passing on my experience.

Hope this is of use.

Lee
2000 Discovery