Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Massive offroader... defeated by carwash!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I think I know what I'll be doing this Fri!

Dave

Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Super I went from a XK8 to the Disco. Dave it died again after getting wet? Looks like your weekend will be filled with grease.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
No the foam strips wont get caught in the ARB, I take mine with the ARB AND SD roof rack through the automatic carwash all the time.

You got the underbody wash to right?
Went crank sensor, thats the DII's Achilles heel.
I wish I could find a wash that would fit my truck..I drove to 5 different ones in North Dallas this morning, all had a height limit of 7'. With the SD mine is sitting about 7'2"... They would let me pass.

I guess 7' is the standard height for the wash vendors?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by primussucks
I wish I could find a wash that would fit my truck..I drove to 5 different ones in North Dallas this morning, all had a height limit of 7'. With the SD mine is sitting about 7'2"... They would let me pass.

I guess 7' is the standard height for the wash vendors?
This is the only downside to the rover. It's so damn tall. ~2" of lift and 32"ish tires and it's within an inch or so of my garage bay... so now I've got to redo the garage. /sigh

Dave

Old 03-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7'2"? Thats all you guys have? I am sitting right at 7'10" with nothing thats usually on the rack up there. With the cans (they are locked up there 98% of the time) I am right at 8'2" haha. I cant even fit it into my local do it yourself wash place!

Old 03-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
So, assuming this is the crank sensor - What should I do? Replace it or clean connections and dielectric grease the plug connectors? or both? Do these have a tendancy to dry and crack or anything?

Dave
Seems to be batch of CPS that are dying...mine died this past weekend and this is probably the 3rd thread i have seen in the past week with possible CPS problems...

I dont know what is the cause of the CPS failure but like with any electronics after a while they build up crud and start to act funny. If it was a wiper switch or even a headlight switch i would dismantle, clean and put back together and hope for the best... intermittent wipers and lights wont leave you stranded on the side of the road...a CPS that is going in and out will...

I would replace...its a common problem and i wouldnt want to be worrying that it is going to drop out and leave me stranded...The replacement isnt too expensive, I picked up mine locally at Napa for $70 (i was in a pinch...shop around).

Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Anybody ever attempt to seal the CKPS to make it and the connection water tight?

Old 03-20-2013, 06:40 AM
Rock Crawling

I assure you I will be. Truck still wouldn't restart yesterday when I got home from work. It's in ~7" of snow, and it really never stopped with some sort of precipitation all afternoon. Its supposed to be up to 40 for the next couple of days - so I'll let it sit n' dry out a bit. Hopefully it'll restart and be able to be driven into my garage... I can pull it with another truck but getting it up that last little bit into the garage is always a pain.

When I do it, I'll take pictures to whatever I find / do to fix the issue.

Dave

Old 03-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
I assure you I will be. Truck still wouldn't restart yesterday when I got home from work. It's in ~7" of snow, and it really never stopped with some sort of precipitation all afternoon. Its supposed to be up to 40 for the next couple of days - so I'll let it sit n' dry out a bit. Hopefully it'll restart and be able to be driven into my garage... I can pull it with another truck but getting it up that last little bit into the garage is always a pain.

When I do it, I'll take pictures to whatever I find / do to fix the issue.

Dave
I haven't needed or done this yet, so pics/tips would be great for my future. Yeah pulling a 2 Ton Brick up a driveway covered in snow may be a pain, to say the least.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Rock Crawling

I've got a crank sensor on order and it'll be in first thing in the morning, just gotta go pick it up. Today, for laughs hoping that it might work after drying another day I went out and gave her another crank. No dice, looks like I'll be working in the snowbank tomorrow morn.

I figured I'd look at any codes it may have too, just for laughs. Plugged the scan gauge back in and while I was waiting, I noticed some oddity...

The temp gauge had moved, then fell to the floor and the light went on. I also noticed some buzzing from the cluster, sounded like the back left side of it... sounded like a relay... Also, the HDC light was on, and M & S were flashing...

This much nonsense strikes me like a bad ground... which may be involving why my obd2 port was on the fritz too? Perhaps all of this is just coincidental after my carwash experience?

Here's the codes that it spit up. One stored, one pending:
P1884 Stored
P1843 Pending

Any other thoughts with this new found information?

Dave

Quick Reply: Massive offroader... defeated by carwash!