Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Massive offroader... defeated by carwash!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I towed it into position and made a break for it into the garage. I got'er successfully into the garage at high speed. I popped the hood, gave it another chance to start, no dice.

I cleaned the grounds and wiring near the battery, and I found the main ground going from the battery to the fender where the 3 ground points are in line -- was loose. Not bad, but it definitely would wiggle. I cleaned them all, most were actually really pretty clean already.

I put it all back together and threw the key in - started right up, no lights, no nonsense...

At this point I went under to look at this crank sensor. Wow is that a pita to get to. Do you folks pull the exhaust to get to it? Or do you try to get to it from the top of the engine by the steering shaft going to the gearbox?

I still don't trust the truck yet, but I'd like to know how others do the crank sensor work. Specifically, how would you ever reach up there to unplug the other end?!

Dave

Old 03-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...000-dii-25610/

"The connector also has to be removed from slot securing it to the engine block. Once removed it may be separated from the rest of the engine harness."

Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Rock Crawling

Excellent. This post specifically:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e2/#post294772

Originally Posted by vchoq
I found this thread to be very helpful and wanted to offer a few suggestions to future readers. This is not a technically complex project, but it does take some resolve. I did not believe it would take an hour to do this until I tried to get my hands up in there. Access is very limited. Here are my suggestions:
  1. If you are doing this project on jack stands, position your body parallel to the frame with your head up near the oil pan. This body position will allow you to use two hands on the socket wrench, and see (kind of) what you are doing.
  2. If you need extra access space, you can undo the three bolts on the exhaust manifold and pull it down about an inch. I couldn't get my wrists past the exhaust pipe without doing this.
  3. I found that is was easier to access the connector from the topside of the engine. I pushed it out of the bracket with a screwdriver and fished the wire up with a coathanger.
I'm no monster by any stretch of the imagination, but there was no way I'd get my hands up in there without moving that exhaust... oh and do I ever like exhaust bolts...

At least it's above freezing today! Almost up to 40! whooo!

Dave

Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

good luck, its a real PITA job

Old 03-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Rock Crawling

Resolved! Truck runs again! Turns out my grounds of course were not the true solution, just another finding. I backed it out of the garage and it died out again. Luckily, I got it started a couple more times to get it into the garage. Only took about 2hrs of trying now and again. :P

In any event, as promised, I took some more pics and details and added them to the other thread:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e3/#post387270

However, I did leave out one part to my repair on that other thread. I did some more preventative maintenance so that it won't take on water again...

Thanks for the thoughts folks!

Dave

Old 03-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
However, I did leave out one part to my repair on that other thread. I did some more preventative maintenance so that it won't take on water again...
What exactly did you do? After reading all of this, I thought to Silicone it up after installation. Just cover the heck out of it. Would that cause some sort of heat issue? Or, maybe Grease?

EDIT: Just read your thread. Nice job, and I hope to never be under there doing that.

Last edited by SuperSport; 03-24-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Part two!

Well, it's a nice day out. finished a manual low range sensor switch in the cabin this am, truck needed a bath. brought it to the carwash, manually sprayed it this time. Dead, again. pushed out of bay while the guy behind me pulled in his Jeep.

OK. I'll bite. Am I just real lucky? How the hell could one of these ever go through a river like I see on YouTube? Are they all diesels?

Good thing I have another brandy new crank sensor at home!

Dave

Old 04-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now your scaring me!What will you do if it rains hard where you live?... on the other hand I have another excuse for not washing my Disco!

Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welllll.

been driving them for over 15 years and the only time ive been stranded is in the D2 when i burnt out my cables. Yeah I've gotten temporarily stuck for a few odd minutes here and there but that was the only tow.

I think both trucks are very reliable but require maintenance. I've done relatively little and I focked up a bunch of things and they both still run pretty well.

Just had my D1 engine bay powerwashed by covering the distributor (?) and a little care. They made me sign a waiver. They'll do the D2 no problem. I'm following the rec's here on that for both trucks.

I hit tons of water regularly - no rivering- with no problems. It rains on the outside and inside.

Both roofs are scratched. The D1 doesn't really go into multiplexes anymore and I almost never wash them.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:38 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

After reading this I now believe that "I" ruined my former crankshaft position sensor! Shortly before the sensor **** the bed I took my Disco to a shop and I detailed it. Took a water hose and sprayed the **** out of the underbody for a good 5 minutes. Got in real good in all the wheel wells, under the front and rear bumper and even hosed the drive train.... Sigh some lessons are best learned the hard way. Not taking any chances with the new sensor, gonna saturate all the connectors and harness with dielectric grease. I recommend you all do the same.

Quick Reply: Massive offroader... defeated by carwash!