Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire ... See diagnostic report

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:20 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire ... See diagnostic report

Hello guys. 2003 Discovery II SE 7 is running really rough. Will not accerlerate. See diagnostic report attached. Do you think it is a gasket and will require an engine tear down or if changing all plugs and wires myself (beginner) might get her done.

Thanks, Eugene

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rover Discovery Diag.pdf (984.2 KB, 437 views)
Old 09-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

How did you get the report? Was it a shop?

I'd pull #8 plug first of all and see what it's like. Examine the wire and the coil.

That'd be the easiest first step. Simply pulling the plug and checking out the element could tell you a lot more.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:05 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 99Discovery
How did you get the report? Was it a shop?

I'd pull #8 plug first of all and see what it's like. Examine the wire and the coil.

That'd be the easiest first step. Simply pulling the plug and checking out the element could tell you a lot more.
Yes sir. I got the report from an Automotive shop. Thank you.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by EugeneMathis
Yes sir. I got the report from an Automotive shop. Thank you.
Check your plug wires and plugs. Are they original plugs and wires? How many miles miles on the truck?

I just replaced all my plug wires and found cyl 8 wire damaged at the ignition coil while performing the swap. It was literally fused to the coil pack. I ended up replacing the both coils and all spark plug wires. It must be said that I did not have any codes. However, I got rid of what I thought was a bad exhaust leak. Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick... It was the faulty wire arcing at the coil.

Last edited by coors; 09-09-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
Check your plug wires and plugs. Are they original plugs and wires? How many miles miles on the truck?

I just replaced all my plug wires and found cyl 8 wire damaged at the ignition coil while performing the swap. It was literally fused to the coil pack. I ended up replacing the both coils and all spark plug wires. It must be said that I did not have any codes. However, I got rid of what I thought was a bad exhaust leak. Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick... It was the faulty wire arcing at the coil.

Interesting. I have a slight ticking sound, I attributed it to fuel injector pulsing, but it reminded me more of an exhaust leak. Sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine, so I may just pull my #8 and see. Discovery is smooth as silk though, 16MPG combined, so maybe I'm just fine. *knock on wood*.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:59 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 99Discovery
Interesting. I have a slight ticking sound, I attributed it to fuel injector pulsing, but it reminded me more of an exhaust leak. Sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine, so I may just pull my #8 and see. Discovery is smooth as silk though, 16MPG combined, so maybe I'm just fine. *knock on wood*.
The catalytic converter was stolen off the vehicle and the shop replaced it and the oxygen sensors, which is how we discovered the problem. How can you tell if is an exhaust leak.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Exhaust leaks are fun to look for, as the leak is sometimes on the side of pipe or flange where you can't see it. There is a parts store product called SeaFoam, you use a vac line to suck half a can into the intake manifold. It makes a lot of oil smoke, and in theory melts some of the crud on the walls of the intake, for smoother running. Did I say lot of smoke? We're talking crazy neighbors will call the fire department. Don't do inside or even close to the house. The smoke only lasts a few minutes, and you can usually see it squirting out the offending exhaust joint.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First, how many miles on the engine, when was it last tuned along with new 8 mm silicone wires and what octane gas are you using ?