Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods to do while engine is out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Here are some pictures of the setup. I have added three gauges to my truck. An oil pressure gauge (hardest to do), water temp gauge (not too bad to do), and a voltmeter (easy). I have routed the wires through the hood release cable grommet, so no need to drill holes in the firewall. One of the pictures shows which oil port I used for the pressure gauge. It is right above the oil filter on its housing. But since you have a pre-facelift model, that port is used by the oil cooler. 03/04s don't have an oil cooler . I wouldn't delete the oil cooler for this mod, but use the second port on the timing cover right above the stock sensor.

One of the pictures shows where I put the temp sensor. As you can see from that, I am really paranoid about leaks which is why I used a lot of RTV on that .

Also, here is a link to the thread I started about a month ago reagarding the oil pressure gauge and coolant temp gauge: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e-78079/page8/

Attached Thumbnails Mods to do while engine is out?-img_0503.jpg   Mods to do while engine is out?-img_0511.jpg   Mods to do while engine is out?-img_0568.jpg   Mods to do while engine is out?-img_0571.jpg  
Old 03-24-2016, 02:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acamato
The stock temp sensor is OK. This issues is the way LR programmed the gauge. The needle stays at the midpoint to way too long of a temp range.

I would install a Ultragauge or other OBDII based gauge vs installing another temp sensor and gauge. The ultragauge gives you a lot of additional info with a lot less effort to install vs. another coolant temp gauge.

Just went to their website, that gauge is awesome! I have an obd reader that can see those values, but the alarms and mpg features alone are worth it.

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2016, 02:21 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
Here are some pictures of the setup. I have added three gauges to my truck. An oil pressure gauge (hardest to do), water temp gauge (not too bad to do), and a voltmeter (easy). I have routed the wires through the hood release cable grommet, so no need to drill holes in the firewall. One of the pictures shows which oil port I used for the pressure gauge. It is right above the oil filter on its housing. But since you have a pre-facelift model, that port is used by the oil cooler. 03/04s don't have an oil cooler . I wouldn't delete the oil cooler for this mod, but use the second port on the timing cover right above the stock sensor.

One of the pictures shows where I put the temp sensor. As you can see from that, I am really paranoid about leaks which is why I used a lot of RTV on that .

Also, here is a link to the thread I started about a month ago reagarding the oil pressure gauge and coolant temp gauge: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e-78079/page8/

Thanks for the reply and links! now its tough to choose between ultragauge vs normal gauges. I was planning on getting mechanical gauges and don't know if they will fit through the cable latch hole but for wires only, looks perfect. In your link I saw you made a custom adapter for the oil pressure sender and I think that's a great idea. I really don't want to spend $20 on some adapter from summit racing....

Old 03-25-2016, 11:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

One gauge the Ultragauge doesn't have is an oil pressure gauge.

Eventually I will install one.