Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods to do while engine is out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 06:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods to do while engine is out?

Hello,

I am in the middle of an engine overhaul on a 1999 D2 and want to really do it right and just once. I am not new to engine rebuilds, however I am new to Land Rover.

What mods should I do while the engine is out? I am looking for advice like what unnecessary parts to remove, what to bypass, what to smooth out with a dremel etc.

What I am doing/ have purchased already:

Top Hat Liners, refurbished heads, new crank and rod bearings (4.0 liter), all new gaskets, new oil pump gears, timing gear and chain kit, water pump, camshaft (4.0 Liter), lifters, cam bearings, thermostat, and input shaft seal on trans(just because its easy now).

Big thanks in advance!

Old 03-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Hope you went with an aftermarket cam, or at least a stock 4.6 cam. I also always recommend a good port and polish on the heads and intake manifold, really wakes it up. I'm a fan of my headers too, but that requires replacing the whole exhaust system and making a better intake like what I've done to see any gains from the headers.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Add an oil pressure sensor on the spare port on the timing cover. Not a bad idea for these motors and on your '99, that is the only place it can be done because it has an oil cooler that takes up the other two ports. Also, this is really only possible to do with the fan, belt, and pulleys out of the way so you have a great opportunity now. Just did it on my '04.

Not really a mod, but not a bad idea either: change out your water pump with a brass impeller unit.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:15 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Hope you went with an aftermarket cam, or at least a stock 4.6 cam. I also always recommend a good port and polish on the heads and intake manifold, really wakes it up. I'm a fan of my headers too, but that requires replacing the whole exhaust system and making a better intake like what I've done to see any gains from the headers.
I have purchased a stock 4.0 cam because i have read that even a K&N filter can cause check engine lights. I figured a different cam / porting would be the same case. Is there a recorded gain anywhere? Searching around i have found just butt dyno results.

With all of your modifications, do you have the ECU re-calibrated?

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2016, 10:20 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
Add an oil pressure sensor on the spare port on the timing cover. Not a bad idea for these motors and on your '99, that is the only place it can be done because it has an oil cooler that takes up the other two ports. Also, this is really only possible to do with the fan, belt, and pulleys out of the way so you have a great opportunity now. Just did it on my '04.

Not really a mod, but not a bad idea either: change out your water pump with a brass impeller unit.
Ok i will add the oil press. gauge for sure. Do you know if its true that the original coolant temp gauge cant be trusted?

I have purchased a pump with a brass impeler but didnt know its good what is the advantage? btw the brand is Airtex and atlantic brittish sold it to me as land rover oem. I was expecting Land Rover logos all over it but now i dont know what to think.

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2016, 12:47 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the older models (I have a 2003), but I'd recommend looking into relocating the coil packs. I had one go bad on me, and realized I'd have to pull the whole SAI system and intake manifold to get access to them on mine. I didn't think of relocating them until after I had someone replace them (daily driver).

If that's applicable, do. it.

Are you planning on putting in a lift or new shock towers? That would be a good candidate with the engine removed. Much more space to work.

Replace both sets of oxygen sensors? The front sets would be easier to reach without having to work around a whole engine(especially the driver side).

Planning on penetrating the firewall for lighting, lockers, and the like? Again, no engine in the way.

I can't think of anything else offhand, but I'm sure people more familiar with the 4.0 can.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LandRoveris
Ok i will add the oil press. gauge for sure. Do you know if its true that the original coolant temp gauge cant be trusted?

I have purchased a pump with a brass impeler but didnt know its good what is the advantage? btw the brand is Airtex and atlantic brittish sold it to me as land rover oem. I was expecting Land Rover logos all over it but now i dont know what to think.

Thanks!
Brass impeller pumps tend to last longer than the other pumps. IDK why. This is considered the way to go for water pumps on this forum. Also, Airtex has a great 2 year warranty.

Coolant gauge cannot be trusted. It just simply will not do. However, adding a temp gauge is much easier than the oil pressure gauge. Motor can be in for this one. Alex_M did a good write-up on how to install a gauge on the top cooling hose as close to the plastic tee as possible. Look for his small modification thread on this forum. I ended up installing one as well so if you'd like, I can upload pictures.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:58 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jwigum
I don't know about the older models (I have a 2003), but I'd recommend looking into relocating the coil packs. I had one go bad on me, and realized I'd have to pull the whole SAI system and intake manifold to get access to them on mine. I didn't think of relocating them until after I had someone replace them (daily driver).

If that's applicable, do. it.

Are you planning on putting in a lift or new shock towers? That would be a good candidate with the engine removed. Much more space to work.

Replace both sets of oxygen sensors? The front sets would be easier to reach without having to work around a whole engine(especially the driver side).

Planning on penetrating the firewall for lighting, lockers, and the like? Again, no engine in the way.

I can't think of anything else offhand, but I'm sure people more familiar with the 4.0 can.

Awesome. I will do all of these. Thanks! The lift is already on the car but the other items are great. Would you happen to know where is the best place to drill holes in the firewall for ease of access on the interior side? I would put grommets and plugs in there until I need them, or to put in gauges as mentioned by DiscoCam.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:00 AM
Overlanding

Brass impeller pumps tend to last longer than the other pumps. IDK why. This is considered the way to go for water pumps on this forum. Also, Airtex has a great 2 year warranty.

Coolant gauge cannot be trusted. It just simply will not do. However, adding a temp gauge is much easier than the oil pressure gauge. Motor can be in for this one. Alex_M did a good write-up on how to install a gauge on the top cooling hose as close to the plastic tee as possible. Look for his small modification thread on this forum. I ended up installing one as well so if you'd like, I can upload pictures.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know the pump is a nice one. Seeing pictures of your setup would be great! Thanks!

Old 03-24-2016, 11:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The stock temp sensor is OK. This issues is the way LR programmed the gauge. The needle stays at the midpoint to way too long of a temp range.

I would install a Ultragauge or other OBDII based gauge vs installing another temp sensor and gauge. The ultragauge gives you a lot of additional info with a lot less effort to install vs. another coolant temp gauge.

Quick Reply: Mods to do while engine is out?