Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods to improve MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default fuel cleaner

Great comprehensive list of ideas. One thing I did was just use a simple fuel line/injector cleaner. ($10) I saw a small increase in MPG. But I will say that the next weekend I went on an inter-state trip and got 21 mpg on the highway. And that was going from Reno to Sacramento which is mostly very high altitude and going over the large donner pass.

I wasn't that surprised at my highway mpg until I saw some other posts on here! I guess that is pretty good! I always change my oil on time, full synthetic, and premium fuel only.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
Thank You for breaking it down! I have done this before as well and got similar results to yours. If were going to worry about the environment, shouldn't we mention the fact that electricity doesn't just create itself in our power outlets?!?!?! We would have to use coal, natural gas, oil, hydro, solar, wind, etc to create the power... most of the environmentalists are against all of the above for some reason.. ex: wind- now thought to change bird migration patterns and kills migrating birds. Your telling me that the birds don't fly higher than 200 feet?? I have seen them higher than that... Just something to think about!
All that clean coal that charges the elective vehicles is green; right?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Why not only is the coal "green" from "mountain topping" and slicing off the green trees to go with it; it is conveyed to the power plant via diesel trains which are (if you believe the ads) the most wonderful things on the planet. And the steam generating plants use lots of water, return it warmer to the rivers, and provide a winter sanctuary in some states for the manatee. And the acid rain changes the pH of the ocean, the food chain alters, Al Gore makes a new movie, etc.

As for nuclear power, more people have died in the back seat of Ted Kennedy's car than in US nuclear power generating plants (from radiation - several have died of electrocution from industrial accidents, three died in a government research reactor when control rods were pulled out and in 4 milliseconds it blew). But one engineering oversight, or skipped critcal element on a test or maintenance procedure, and you have a large problem that can be fatal to thousands.

In short, all energy sources have plus and minus features. All have some ethical issues involved. But even the Mormon Church owns wind farms in Hawaii.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
Spike555
Super Moderator

As a side note, any one else laugh at the price of gas back in '06 that we were complaining about?
It's over $4/gal for premium here.
It's $4.18 IN MIAMI AND DIESEL IS $4.00... DIESEL HAVENT SEEN THAT IN A FEW YEARS...[/QUOTE]

Yup! its 4.16 at chevron here in West palm Beach ,FL .... Ive seen as much as 4.19

fortunately how this place is laid out, I drive 7 miles on A1A ( for anyone who doesnt know it follows the ocean) and speed limit here is 25-35mph and they DO ticket here by Palm Beach... so that is my gas savings.. lol I take it out on highway every week on day off and scoot to Ft. Lauderdale just to get some highway time ... so I think I average around 16... oh and I bought a 1965 Vespa 50 Special for going to my computer clients so I dont count that gas at all! lol
HEY I think I will get a bumper sticker... " My other Vehicle is a LAND ROVER DISCOVERY" hahaha maybe theyll all get it.. ;-) lol

Old 03-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Winching
Cool

Originally Posted by FightOnUSC79
All that clean coal that charges the elective vehicles is green; right?
not to mention all the little green cars that hold 3 people... what if you have a family of 4? how many little green cars do you need to get to your outing? hmmm also at least they will all run on little green oilless bearings... lol

Old 03-26-2012, 06:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

cleanenergyfuels.com

ewsews.com

I've got some parts on the way for my '03 DII.

I'll have a thread written up as progress continues.

$2.03/gallon for propane here (120 octane)

$2.37/GGE for natgas, and going down. In some states (i.e. Utah), its about $1/gge.

Both DOMESTIC fuels, I might add......

And my F-350 will run veggie oil all day long. Towing 10K lbs. About $0.70/gallon for fuel, if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

I figure you can whine, bitch and moan about the status quo, or use your head, pick up a wrench and do something about it.

I went with option b....

Just my $0.02

Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SolbergFanBoi
Not done by me:

. . snip
I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16
per kwh.

16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the
Volt using the battery.

. . .
$1.16 per KWh. Try again. Hawaii pays about $.27 per KWh and they are some of highest in the nation. I pay $.08 per KWh here in Iowa.

Here's a good link to national prices 2010. Electricity Prices by State | Compare Electric Rates by state in Your Area Nation wide

Old 03-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdevr
These numbers are all well & good, but what's going to happen to the cost of electicity when the demand goes up? Or more importantly, when the tax revenue from gasoline goes down?
If we all gave in and just road bicycles everywhere the clowns in Washington would find a way to create a "carbon tax" for the exhaust coming out your a$$...
You just watch. They will find a way to charge you for each breath taken.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
$1.16 per KWh. Try again. Hawaii pays about $.27 per KWh and they are some of highest in the nation. I pay $.08 per KWh here in Iowa.

Here's a good link to national prices 2010. Electricity Prices by State | Compare Electric Rates by state in Your Area Nation wide
Like I said, I didn't do the write up myself.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ATLDisco
cleanenergyfuels.com

ewsews.com

I've got some parts on the way for my '03 DII.

I'll have a thread written up as progress continues.

$2.03/gallon for propane here (120 octane)

$2.37/GGE for natgas, and going down. In some states (i.e. Utah), its about $1/gge.

Both DOMESTIC fuels, I might add......

And my F-350 will run veggie oil all day long. Towing 10K lbs. About $0.70/gallon for fuel, if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

I figure you can whine, bitch and moan about the status quo, or use your head, pick up a wrench and do something about it.

I went with option b....

Just my $0.02
So just curious.. what is your plan? convert to natural gas? Id like to see the progress...

Quick Reply: Mods to improve MPG?