Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods to improve MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bdevr
Whoa whoa whoa... You really believe the democratic spin that this is an assault on women? Open your eyes man! Granted the dems are doing a great job of forcing the repubs to put thier foots in their mouths over this whole subject, but it is nowhere near what they are making it out to be. This is about the Obama admin FORCING a religous instition to provide something that conflicts with their beliefs. So, we let this one go. Fine. What else do we let them FORCE us into? Exercise some caution with what power you willingly hand over to a president (Dem or Rep). Let's all learn from the "patriot act" that was for our own protection....

On another note. Show me a woman who got knocked up and was forced to have a child that she didn't want SOLELY because she worked for a religous institution and had ABSOLUTELY NO access to birth control. If you find someone who fits that bill, then maybe I'll start believing in Eugenics. It's out there. There are a pile of other ways to get it. We have free will in this country. If you don't agree with an employers/schools policy move on to another employer/school...
I dont believe in seatbelts, I'm forced to wear one.
I dont believe in SRS, I'm forced to buy a car with them.
I dont think the no talking on a cell phone while driving should be illegal yet I'm forced to spend my money on a bluetooth headset.
I dont think prostitution should be illegal but it is.

If they want Gov. money they need to provide birth control coverage to those who want it.
If they dont want Gov. money then they dont have to provide birth control coverage.
If they dont like the job go somewhere else to work? Really? Thats your answer?
A mom has been unemployed for 3 years and the only job she can get is working for a Catholic Hospital and you want her to quit because she wants birth control and her employer does not offer it? Really?
If the Catholic Hospital does not want to offer birth control to its employees then it needs to stop taking Federal dollars.

As for the Patriot Act, what a joke that is, it needs to go!!
Talk about a total infringement on our rights, the Big O should not have renewed that one, same thing with the no protesting on Gov. land bill that he just signed, I'm pissed about that one too.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Back to slangs post -

IMHO the radiator fan is moving a whole lot of air under the hood now, and at 50 mph the wind is doing the same. Before chopping up the hood just for that purpose (not saying they don't look stylish) try operating with no hood to see if any engine temp or gross mpg improvement. Suspect not much, as the truck "system" is designed to keep engine in a certain temp range. You can also increase size of fan, go to alternate thermostat ratings, and achieve measurable drops in temp. I put on a bigger fan ($19 fan & clutch used Blazer) and dropped 6-10 F in summer at 100F. But then again I have a oldie, a rodded out radiator just hanging together, and a $6 used water pump, and at the moment a 180F stat. Your results could vary. Now at idle, yes, the heat will build up under the hood. Some guys that have to stay at idle for a long time will pop the hood slightly. Like cops working a wreck, etc.

And for the political deal, consider that many politicians are sworn in to their office with one hand on a religous text. Too bad they don't spend a lot of time reading it after they are in office....

Attached Thumbnails  Mods to improve MPG?-p1120262.jpg    Mods to improve MPG?-p1120268.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-10-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-So you listed off 4 things that you dislike the government forcing upon you (btw, I agree on all 4 counts) but this one you're ok with?
-Yes, I say if you don't like the core principles behind the company that you work for then move on. What's wrong with that?
-Oooorrrr, if you want birth control and to keep the job that you have get it somewhere else. It's not difficult at all. Millions of high school kids do it. Don't want mommy to know you're on the pill, there are a pile of options out there for you. So I'll have to assume that a registered nurse is at least as intelligent as a high schooler.
-Everyone thinks that they are entitled to having their cake and eating it too.
-And I fully agree that the church needs to get off the federal teet too.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah Sava....I followed you thru that fan clutch experience as well. Severe Duty fan. Trimmed metal fan.....that mod was good for me.

I still want to see that hood mod on someones D1. I doubt I would ever get there even if I wanted but you know how I like to cut and rivet metal.

I don't know why you guys bother with the politics. There's no use anyway. Pick an island and go. Bunch of creeps run things....all over the place.

The only thing I disagree with is the no talking on the cell phone thing.... Spike! Here they do make up with a dog on their lap on the phone while driving. Gotta stop these people somehow. In' 93 I had a great in car cell phone system that I could answer, talk handsfree with the cell phone in a handset. I just don't get why we all don't use those.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan

The only thing I disagree with is the no talking on the cell phone thing.... Spike! Here they do make up with a dog on their lap on the phone while driving. Gotta stop these people somehow. In' 93 I had a great in car cell phone system that I could answer, talk handsfree with the cell phone in a handset. I just don't get why we all don't use those.
I needed to clarify, I am a commercial driver, I am not allowed by law to use my cell phone while driving unless it is with a bluetooth headset, which I am fine with I have had a bluetooth headset for 6 years.
But non commercial drivers, i.e., everyday commuters, soccer moms, sales reps, etc. can drive with dogs on their laps, texting, holding their phone and eating a cheese burger all at 80mph while I, the guy who has driven OVER 1 million miles cant drive faster than 60mph or dial the phone?
And if I do and get caught it is a automatic $2,750 fine for me and another $11,000 fine for my company AND my phone is subject to search and seizure if I am pulled over so the DOT officer can check my call history to see if I made or received a phone call while driving?
But little Suzy who has had her licence for all of 6 months can?
Really?
I am fine with the law as long as it covers everyone.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bdevr
-So you listed off 4 things that you dislike the government forcing upon you (btw, I agree on all 4 counts) but this one you're ok with?
-Yes, I say if you don't like the core principles behind the company that you work for then move on. What's wrong with that?
-Oooorrrr, if you want birth control and to keep the job that you have get it somewhere else. It's not difficult at all. Millions of high school kids do it. Don't want mommy to know you're on the pill, there are a pile of options out there for you. So I'll have to assume that a registered nurse is at least as intelligent as a high schooler.
-Everyone thinks that they are entitled to having their cake and eating it too.
-And I fully agree that the church needs to get off the federal teet too.

True, they can get birth control else where, like Planned Parent Hood, oh, wait...they (the Republicans) are trying to defund Planned Parent Hood...where low income women go for their annual exam, and get birth control, and breast exams and other womens health needs that they cant afford because they dont have a job that offers affordable health insurance. (but yet there is no movement to take away womens rights?)
And when the Catholic Hospital that they work at offers affordable health insurance and they are supposed to give up the health care needs of their family because they dont agree with their employer?
I dont agree with everything my employer does either, but I still work there.
I really dont think any of us agree 100% with everything our employer does.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default yes, you are correct

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Back to slangs post -

IMHO the radiator fan is moving a whole lot of air under the hood now, and at 50 mph the wind is doing the same. Before chopping up the hood just for that purpose (not saying they don't look stylish) try operating with no hood to see if any engine temp or gross mpg improvement. Suspect not much, as the truck "system" is designed to keep engine in a certain temp range. You can also increase size of fan, go to alternate thermostat ratings, and achieve measurable drops in temp. I put on a bigger fan ($19 fan & clutch used Blazer) and dropped 6-10 F in summer at 100F. But then again I have a oldie, a rodded out radiator just hanging together, and a $6 used water pump, and at the moment a 180F stat. Your results could vary. Now at idle, yes, the heat will build up under the hood. Some guys that have to stay at idle for a long time will pop the hood slightly. Like cops working a wreck, etc.

And for the political deal, consider that many politicians are sworn in to their office with one hand on a religious text. Too bad they don't spend a lot of time reading it after they are in office....
You are right on all accounts. I live in miami though...a sh$t hole of all places that like today is 80 deg. and about 90 deg in the sun today. From May to November, its about 90 deg and 150 deg in the sun everyday of the week. I can get stuck in traffic for over a hour and a half....Trust me , i need them.. allot of people drive with the hood cracked or should i say not pushed all the way till it completely closed. When i use to live in the island's they use to drain there fan clutches and drill them and put a bolt all the way threw so they where running at full speed all the time. Worked pretty good actually...

Chris

Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vandev
You are right on all accounts. I live in miami though...a sh$t hole of all places that like today is 80 deg. and about 90 deg in the sun today. From May to November, its about 90 deg and 150 deg in the sun everyday of the week. I can get stuck in traffic for over a hour and a half....Trust me , i need them.. allot of people drive with the hood cracked or should i say not pushed all the way till it completely closed. When i use to live in the island's they use to drain there fan clutches and drill them and put a bolt all the way threw so they where running at full speed all the time. Worked pretty good actually...

Chris
What island?

Old 03-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The movement of which you speak is the "biblethumpers" trying to do away with abortion (not a subject that I will touch). This has NOTHING to do with "women's rights". There are plenty of other options besides planned parenthood to get birth control.
If you recall, I said if that if said woman likes/wants/needs to keep the job then get birth control elsewhere. If you (she/he) so strongly disagree with your employers fundamental beliefs, THEN maybe you should look into switching jobs rather than expecting the government to trash the Constitutionally protected right to freedom of religion. That is what my argument is about. This attack on women b.s is pure democratic spin in order to whip some people into a frenzy. If anyone were to look at things rationally for a split second they would see right through it.
Speaking of being rational. The way that the Obama admin bypassed the church altogether by forcing the Insurance companies to provide birth control to these women should have been a win/win/win. The simple fact is that both parties need something to cast stones over so this debate foolishly rages on.

Last edited by bdevr; 03-11-2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: acting like a jerk. sorry
Old 03-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I needed to clarify......I am fine with the law as long as it covers everyone.
Got ya Spike. Wouldn't that be proper!

Quick Reply: Mods to improve MPG?