Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More driveshaft woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
I immediately thought of grease. Did you grease it before you installed it? If it's grinding, it may already be toast.

You mentioned that it was fine when you started out for the first 100 mile trip, then started getting worse. Sounds like it might have been dry and then cooked, then wore out inside. OR, maybe one of the bolts came loose.

All bolts were still tight, just removed it again this afternoon.

Drove it local for 100 miles all under 55mph.

The vibes started when I went above 60. Very noticeable above 70 and started slow increase in intensity. Once warmed up (20 miles) vibes down as low as 40.

Will know more tomorrow,

Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shop had some shafts ready to go on exchange or they would rebuild mine for the same price. Same guarantee 6 months.

So I did the exchange. That shaft is the one that had the vibrations.

Called yesterday and the tech found the shaft I had dropped off (I put paint marks on for orientation on reinstall). He said he would rebuild that one and balance it, be ready next morning.

After some more talking, the shaft he sold me was a new, imported shaft. I think it was made in eastern Europe, not China. When I examined it closely (with my glasses this time) I saw one of the U-joints had was only 50% or less supported in the carden joint. Most of the needle bearing cup was outside the support area.

The shop tech claimed to have sold over 100 of these shafts in the last several years, and mine was the first to give trouble.

Got my original shaft back today with new joints. "Rebuilt". Not the U-joints I would have liked to see in it, and am going on their word they replaced the center pivot bearing.

I put my rebuilt shaft back in (I am very quick about it with my recent experience), and took it over to the highway first thing. It will hold 80+ with no unusual vibration , just like before. I consider it back in service,but will watch the shaft like a hawk now.

In retrospect, I should have bought one of the medium duty shafts recommended by Disco Mike, but I took another local members suggestion and tried to save some money (very tight for me these days).

The driveshaft shop is Drive Line Service of Atlanta, and I will refrain from doing any future business with them.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

If I were in your position, I'd be a bit perturbed too.