Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multifunction Controls on Steering wheel stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 02:43 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multifunction Controls on Steering wheel stopped working

Hi Guys
Wondering if anyone can help with this problem.
At the weekend i changed the power steering box, once it was all back together the steering wheel functions ie: Volume control, horn, cruise control all stopped working. I have done some investigating, a little blindly if honest, but cant find the answer.
I have a theory that when we was trying to reconnect the steering wheel linkage to the power steering box there was allot of pulling and banging trying to get it reconnected. it took three attempts to get it connected so the steering wheel was straight, and i was wondering that i might have confused the ecu to thinking that the car had hit something, which in turn has caused the SRS light to come on and stay on. From what i have read there is talk of a pin in the steering wheel housing that may of popped out and needs to be reset.
Has anyone got any ideas or help.
thanks

Old 09-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You didn't confuse the ECU.
My guess is you damaged some of the switches/connections under the steering wheel.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:18 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks Mike.
i have spoken with my local garage after your reply and he advised me that there is a circuit board under the steering wheels, and he thinks that i have broken this during the process of changing the power steering box. He is going to plug my car into the machine which will verify this. Fingers Crossed. Thanks for your help i will let you know how it goes
Cheers
Shane

Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tiger1983
Thanks Mike.
i have spoken with my local garage after your reply and he advised me that there is a circuit board under the steering wheels, and he thinks that i have broken this during the process of changing the power steering box. He is going to plug my car into the machine which will verify this. Fingers Crossed. Thanks for your help i will let you know how it goes
Cheers
Shane

Did you hav any luck av had the same problem please help

Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The rotary coupler can be damaged by moving certain parts when working on steering issues. Please read these three pages from the RAVE. Always a good idea to review the shop manual.

For the radio controls, reading with an ohm meter across the gray with red and the gray with black wires should show "open" if no buttons pressed. When pressed, the resistance will be between 0 and 3600 ohms, depending on what was pressed.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 rotary coupler warning.pdf (809.5 KB, 661 views)
D2 rotary coupler warning 2.pdf (860.2 KB, 481 views)
d2 rotary coupler remove.pdf (782.7 KB, 478 views)