Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple Code Quandary

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple Code Quandary

Hmmm...where do I begin. Over the summer, I had MAF codes come up, so I installed a new Bosch sensor and had the codes cleared. Things have been fine - no check engine light - until a few days ago. My check engine light came on, and a couple of days later, my vehicled stalled at a stop light. It started right back up, however. This morning, I had a heck of a time starting it. I let it warm up, however it "sputtered" and had almost no power for a minute or so. I took it to Autozone to get the codes read.

Here's what they found:

P0734, P0733, P1172, P1175, P0174, P0171, P1300, P0305, P0307, P0102, P0300, P0301

Do I get a prize for the most codes thrown? A little advice would suffice, I guess.

Here's the background on my Discovery. It's an '01, with 97,000 miles. I had new plug wires and plugs installed about 20,000 miles ago, I guess. I "cheaped out" on the plug wires - they're middle-of-the-road from Autozone. They replaced the upper intake gasket at the same time. The plugs are Bosch Platinum Plus 4. Like I mentioned, I replaced the MAF sensor within the last 5,000 miles. Don't know if I got a dud or not, however. My air filter is almost new - STP, I believe.

Obviously, I've got some major issues here. Any advice on where to start would be greatly appreciated. If I'm missing any info you need, please let me know. Thanks...Steve

Old 01-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Multiple Code Quandary

Those all point right to the MAF. I would check the basics like: is the wiring okay (hard to check), is the plug seated okay or dirty, is the airbox top locked on nice and tight with no gaps (they have been know to bend and not seat correctly), does the air filter fit nice and tight, do you have any vacuum leaks? Swapping it out with one that works would be nice, you could take it too the dealer or shop with the right equipment to test it or swap one in for you. It probably has a 1 year warranty, you could try calling the place you got it and they may send you a new one.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Rock Crawling

A couple of those codes point to a vacuum leak, and that might be causing the misfire codes. I'd go over the intake with a fine tooth comb.There are ways to check with carb cleaner or smoke, and it's terrible to think, butthe intake gasket might be a culprit also.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:19 AM
6th Gear

Okay, so I checked things out last night, and the air filter "lid" had one of the tabs pinched in, which I'm guessing was causing a leak. I fixed it and didn't experience the problem on my way into work this morning. However, my check engine light is still on. I'll keep you posted...

Thanks for responding, jkid and DiscoJag

Old 01-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You need to go clear the codes again. Thoses clips if bent will cause all sorts of grief.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:09 PM
6th Gear

Okay, the problem was not solved by the filter snafu. It's at the shop, and they "believe" it's the fuel pump, although I won't get the final word until later tonight or tomorrow a.m.

Can anyone give me an idea what I can expect, cost-wise. And, is this something that can be tackled on my own?

Thanks...

Old 01-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can do the fuelpump yourself.
www.atlanticbritish.comto give you a idea of what it will cost you.
It will take you about a hour or so to repalce the fuelpump.
If you are getting mis fire codes then you need new plugs and wires.
A bad crank sensor will cause a no start problem but throw no codes.
That is a cheap fix, about $60 for the part.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: jacklantern

Okay, the problem was not solved by the filter snafu. It's at the shop, and they "believe" it's the fuel pump, although I won't get the final word until later tonight or tomorrow a.m.

Can anyone give me an idea what I can expect, cost-wise. And, is this something that can be tackled on my own?

Thanks...
Your mechanic is an idiot!!
A fuel pump will not throw lean codes.
If the codes you posted have been cleared since you installed a new MAF, then your MAF has shot craps again based on the 734 code as well as all the lean codes showing.
Do not replace your fuel pump.
Do you use a K&N type air filter? If so that could kill the MAF in a hearty beat.