Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple issues, need some tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple issues, need some tips

Got a few lingering issues that I wanted to ask the collective. 2004 Disco with 70,000 miles

Issue #1: Starting first thing in the morning the battery light flickers once it starts and runs. There is no rythm to flicker, just very intermitent, and inconsistent. It eventually stops. I've noticed that it is mostly when its cold outside when this happens

What done/checked: The battery and altenator have both been replaced in the last year to nine months. I double checked terminals on the battery, and all wiring from battery to alternator. Grounds all look good too.

Issue #2: Sounds like I have a chipmunk squeaking when the HVAC fan is on. Its mostly when running the fan at the lowest (slowest) settings. The Higher/faster the fan setting, the squeaking goes away. It started with just the lowest setting, now seems to have progressed to the first three settings. The only time this really goes away is when the HVAC is off, or the fan setting is at the highest or second highest.

What done/checked: Haven't really dug into this one yet. I did notice that going over bumps or rough spots in the road will make the chirping go away momentarily. Is there a way to lube the fan or is it a matter of time before the whole thing needs replaced?

Issue #3: When running at idle and parked, it sounds like I have a couple of aluminum cans rattling in a bag. Its pretty loud when standing outside the vehicle. I've noticed my milage has tanked some also. I also have a misfire engine code.

What done/checked: I've gently tapped around on the exhaust, bottom end, etc with a rubber mallet under the vehicle but can't seem to really reproduce the issue. Its definetly coming from under the vehicle and not anything directly under the hood. My gut is saying the Cats might be shot, but at 70k already? I attempted to get a video with my cellphone but the rattle is VERY exaggerated on the recording. MAG wires and new plugs are coming soon, so hopefully the misfire code goes away.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

1. Connectors on back of alternator. You might also check with a voltmeter to see what the voltage is doing while this is going on. If alternator was replaced with non-oem, or a rebuilt one, then the brushes are about to fail. Hope you kept the receipt.

2. AC fan can be removed and some report success with lubrication with thin oil, like 3In1. Pricey new, cheap at junk yard.

3. Remove belt to eliminate anything that rotates. Could be a heat shield vibrating (under side). Does noise continue in neutral, does it go away when parked and revved up slightly? You can use a long screw driver or stick to put to your ear and suspect items, the listening stick helps locate a noise.