General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help! Multiple engine codes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! Multiple engine codes.

Hi folks,
Gosh I feel like a busy body as I've had my Land Rover two weeks and already posted questions twice here. But, you guys would be the folks to ask and you have no idea how grateful I am for any assistance. I always help folks out myself in areas that I am knowledgable, but I know nothing about Land Rovers. I did get a service manual on disc which has been very helpful. Last week I drove my 2000 Land Rover Discovery (the first I've really driven it since buying it) to the service station for state inspection. It drove fine and ran smoothly. On the way home it got hot and shut off. I realized the coolant was gone and the water pump was bad/leaking. Yesterday I replaced the water pump, but when I started it, it sounded like a diesel (it's not a diesel). Misfire and loud valve train knock. It doesn't sound good. The new water pump is good & doesn't leak. I plugged in an Actron Pocket Scan and got 7 codes. I looked them up in the service manual, but don't know where to begin as far as repairs. Several of the codes wouldn't really affect engine performance. The codes were: P0116, P0300, P0306, P0307, P1300, P1536 & P1590. Random misfire, excess emissions, catalyst damaging level of misfire & engine coolant temp circuit/range performance problem (did my water pump replacement have something to do with this?). Could one thing cause all these codes? Any suggestions as where to look to fix this mess?? Thanks again. I am very grateful for ANY assistance!!

Old 03-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to worry more about the damage caused when you over heated the engine. Did you have any coolant in the oil?
I would be real concerned about a sleeve, any and all bearing. Might want to start by pulling all the plugs and turn the engine over listening for metal noises.
Let us know what you find.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Overlanding

Oil looks fine. No metal noise. It only went maybe a mile before it got hot and shut off. I just bought this thing. I hope it's not DOA!! If it is, I'll be walking as i have no more money to buy another and certainly can't sell a block of iron for much!!

Matt B.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If the engine died from over heating, you could be in trouble.
Do as I suggested and pull the plugs and turn the engine over, listening for noise.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Overlanding

No noise,
What about all the codes? Thanks!

Matt B.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Overlanding

Just a note on the Land Rover, I did not try to restart it when I saw the water pump leaking and realized the problem at the stop light. I had it towed home. While replacing the water pump I did clean the engine (I hate dirty engines) with foamy engine cleaner/degreaser and hosed it down. I am hoping the engine codes and mis-fire, engine knocking is due to me wetting something down and not due to the overheating because of the water pump. I'd hate to think my engine is dead on a car I just bought!! Yikes!!

Matt B.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Overlanding

Well, it's dead. I appreciate all the help/advice from Disco Mike & others. My experience with Land Rovers has been short lived. Inside of two weeks, I bought a 2000 Land Rover Discovery, drove it home 4 miles. Parked it. Replaced front bumper cover, wiper blades, bulbs ect. Drove to state inspection station, got it inspected. On the way home, water pump craps out, engine overheats. Dead engine. I now own a 4,000 lb block of scrap iron. End of story. Anybody want to buy a Land Rover. I drove it 10 miles!! I have no more money.

Matt B.