Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 350 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 350 conversion

Took me a 3 months, most of which was waiting on the importation of the adapter. But I finally got it done about a month ago. I posted pics in the gallery here.

If anyone has questions, I'd be happy to answer them, with first hand experience.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/members/jnice-10766-albums-98-disco-chevy-350-282/

Old 04-22-2010, 12:27 PM
4th Gear

The pictures look great. How does it drive? Makes me think about doing the same swap...

Old 04-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Drifting

it drives like an off road truck, but thats because of my lifts and big tires. You know the extra power is nice though, but it's not that huge of a difference. I have not tried towing a heavy load or mud bogs yet, but I have a feeling it will do well.

I took the plunge because my motor was toast, and rebuilding or buying a new LR engine is very costly, possibly more so than the cost to convert. But if I had just 2-3" lift and 30" tires, I'd probably stick with a LR motor. But with my setup the LR engine was way too much of a dog.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope this isn't rude... I'm not asking for your salary or anything like that lol, but how much did the conversion cost?

How is your gas mileage now? better, same, less??

Thank you,

Old 04-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Drifting

well the adapter plate and crank adapter is ~$900 and the motor mounts are ~$200 from advanced adapters, and they import them from Marksw4d in Australia.

The chevy engine, well, you can spend as much or as little as you like on that.

My gas mileage is about the same, about 12mpg sometimes less now since I lay into it more lol.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was wondering about an engine conversion on a DI. I know where there id a 95 without the engine. But the longer time goes by, the more goodies he is getting rid of.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Mudding

Me likey. The motor is the only thing that is worse than the reliability on the discos...but it seems like you solved that problem.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very cool conversion man!

looks great, i was talking to a buddy of mine on the phone lastnight about conversions on Discos!!

Regards,

Old 04-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Mudding
Thumbs up

This will save more Disco's from a early grave.

I have a few questions.
Did you need to use the stock ECU for anything?
Did you need a ECU setup for the 350?
What springs are you using in the front?
Is the stock fuel pump still in use?
Were you able to keep the stock gages in use? (temp, rpm,)
Lastly is the drive train still stock?

This is looking to be a very good post, could you post links to the
parts suppliers?

Thank You for the Great Info.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Drifting

hi, I did not use the stock ECU since I am using a Holley Truck Avenger carburetor on my 350. It's good for angles up to 35-45 degrees and not choking out like a regular street carb.

I realize some of you live in states with strict emissions rules, so depending on where you live, you may need to use a chevy fuel injection intake, and a new aftermarket ECU box, which can be programmed to your states specs, and also have another setting for your off road fun. These ECU boxes can be purchased at summitracing.com

The springs in the front & rear are rovertymes. I was worried with the heavier motor I'd have sag, but as you can see, I still have a nice clearance in the front, in fact it was hardly noticeable without an engine vs with a chevy set in it. But if you have different springs I'd be cautious.

I used the stock fuel pump, but with carbs you need a fuel regulator to tone down the pressure. They can also be bought at summitracing, I got a Mallory brand.

The stock gauges I did not try to mess around with, after market gauges are much better. I used some from my local autoparts store.

My drivetrain is untouched, well except for the greasable drive shafts, but then I had them before the conversion.

http://advanceadapters.com
http://summitracing.com

Quick Reply: my 350 conversion