Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 350 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jnice
hi, I did not use the stock ECU since I am using a Holley Truck Avenger carburetor on my 350. It's good for angles up to 35-45 degrees and not choking out like a regular street carb.

I realize some of you live in states with strict emissions rules, so depending on where you live, you may need to use a chevy fuel injection intake, and a new aftermarket ECU box, which can be programmed to your states specs, and also have another setting for your off road fun. These ECU boxes can be purchased at summitracing.com

The springs in the front & rear are rovertymes. I was worried with the heavier motor I'd have sag, but as you can see, I still have a nice clearance in the front, in fact it was hardly noticeable without an engine vs with a chevy set in it. But if you have different springs I'd be cautious.

I used the stock fuel pump, but with carbs you need a fuel regulator to tone down the pressure. They can also be bought at summitracing, I got a Mallory brand.

The stock gauges I did not try to mess around with, after market gauges are much better. I used some from my local autoparts store.

My drivetrain is untouched, well except for the greasable drive shafts, but then I had them before the conversion.

http://advanceadapters.com
http://summitracing.com

Nice, you may start saving for in upgraded drivetrain, (axles, driveshafts, etc.)

luck,greg

Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh I'm sure I will need to upgrade them eventually. I'm just waiting until it's absolutely necessary

Old 04-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Mudding

If I remember correctly, the Land Rover engine is based on the Buick 215(?). Would the Buick 350 (or any other GM motor) bolt up to the LR bell housing? RS

Old 04-23-2010, 01:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

There is a lot of room in there, for some reason I thought a 350 would be tight but that does not seem to be the case. I am glad you did this, it sucks to read opinions of this swap by people who have never attempted it. I hope you have pissed off a few purists!

Old 04-23-2010, 06:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've got the starting point if anybody interested

Interesting conversion. I've got the starting point here in Beaufort SC for this if anybody is interested. 1994 Disco I. Great frame, not rust (oil leaks took care of that plus southern car) , never bent (some minor fender benders in the past etc.) 250,000 mi and still runs fine. Alternator seems to be acting up or I'd not hesitate to drive it to deliver. Body solid with one "cut" in the aluminum on right rear quarter panel where I lost sight of a small utility trailer and jack-knifed it and cut it like a can-opener. CDL shifts fine Hi to Lo and Locked/Unlocked. ABS and SRS light on but brakes work fine and I'm not sure I'd want the ABS system activated for off road use anyway.

If anybody is interested send me a pm and I'll send pictures and we can discuss. I'd do the conversion myself but I have another 2003 Disco II and may consider doing it on that if the oil pump ever gives up the ghost. I've got an oil pressure guage installed and it has 130,000 miles and pressure at idle with Mobile 1 synthetic 10W-30 is still 12 to 14 psi so maybe it is one of the few in the vin range with the pins accidentally machined correctly (lol).

Anyway - if anyone is interested with send me a pm.

Smokey
Beaufort SC

Old 04-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like a great conversion, keep us updated on the machine. I would have loved to swap in a GM v8 when I did my swap, but i wasnt really sure what to do to make it work.

You mentioned you had to change the factory gauge package. Does the AC and other accessories still work as normal?

Old 04-23-2010, 03:46 PM
3rd Gear

Very cool. Makes me want to try it when my engine craps out.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DiscoWest
It looks like a great conversion, keep us updated on the machine. I would have loved to swap in a GM v8 when I did my swap, but i wasnt really sure what to do to make it work.

You mentioned you had to change the factory gauge package. Does the AC and other accessories still work as normal?
Well if you wanted to use the Rover accessories you would have to fashion a custom bracket kit. I think thats more work than its worth. Chevy accessory components are cheap, 1/2 the cost of land rover accessories. A good Sanden 508 A/C compressor will work just fine. its a single wire switch and you just need a A/C shop to plumb it and charge it for you.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jnice
Well if you wanted to use the Rover accessories you would have to fashion a custom bracket kit. I think thats more work than its worth. Chevy accessory components are cheap, 1/2 the cost of land rover accessories. A good Sanden 508 A/C compressor will work just fine. its a single wire switch and you just need a A/C shop to plumb it and charge it for you.
Wish I would have talked with you before doing my engine swap!

Old 07-23-2016, 03:02 PM
1st Gear
Default 350 swap

do you know if on a 04 discovery2 will the automatic transmission still shift with a chevy engine and no computer controls just carburator

Quick Reply: my 350 conversion