Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My disco 2 will only move in reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012 | 10:24 AM
|
5th Gear
Unhappy My disco 2 will only move in reverse?

Greetings everyone, my wife and I are new here and have been reading and learning much about our 2000 disco 2. I am haveing an issue and was needing some advice. We only recently bought or disco a few months back, about 2 weeks ago the tranny oil temp light will come on after about 10 min or 10-15 miles of driving. From reading the forums i see that i most likely need to check my oil cooler and was about to take it to the shop and have that done... well last nite on my way to work i was turning down the drive to our parking lot and lost all my gears? my truck will only go in reverse now and when i put it into any other gear it is as if its in neutral? A few weeks ago i had the transmission drained ( not flushed ) and filled.. and refilled the 2nd time to be sure it was topped off, transfer case has been refilled and rear diff. as well (had to replace left rear wheel baring!) my wife is at her wits end with the disco as we just purchased it a short while ago. I am still standing behind it as i believe it will be a good vehicle, any help as to what might be going on with the transmission would be very very much appriciated.

Old 08-02-2012 | 10:28 AM
Baja

sound like you may be low on fluid again, is the truck running when you check your fluid.

Old 08-02-2012 | 10:29 AM
Administrator

Next time you get a warning light act on it ASAP.
Now, do you have a check engine light on, if so, what is the fault code?

Old 08-02-2012 | 10:49 AM
|
5th Gear

My check engine light did not come on at first, when i went to leave work this morning i checked and it is now on, as for the codes it will be a day or 2 before i can get it towed to the shop to have them read what codes are being put out. I am unfortunatly in my busy season at deere working 3rd and on 12 hr shifts so will not be able to get the tow arranged for a day or 2 when i get paid.

Old 08-02-2012 | 11:16 AM
Administrator

What type of shop are you having look at it?
Don't just send it to any shop or all they will do is replace the tranny as apposed to fixing it.
Let us know what they find and even more importantly, their estimate , how much for parts and labor.

Old 08-02-2012 | 11:38 AM
|
5th Gear

Will do mike, the repair shop is run by a friend of mine and his dad, and they are willing to help me anyway they can without doing unexpected or blind repairs. Unfortunatly the nearst landrover dealer is 2 hr away from me, i am slightly mechanically inclined but any major repairs ill be having my friend help me as he has a lift and the tools at his dads shop. Gotta sleep now when i find oout more ill post it till then i will check back in the morning when i get off work.

Old 08-02-2012 | 12:48 PM
Administrator

Good. If you need a tranny, let me know, don't just go order one, could pay way to much.
Also, have them inspect your front drive shaft to verify you have 1 grease fitting on each of the 3 u-joints, if not it will need to be replaced or rebuilt.

Old 08-02-2012 | 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

If your are workong at Deere, you are more than slightly mechanically inclined. Just by osmosis.

Old 08-02-2012 | 07:19 PM
5th Gear

I have a disco 2 in costa rica and the tranny would have a hard time going into reverse. Getting parts in that country is crazy and my husband and I are going down in a month or so so I was wanting to take parts to fix it. Should I take a whole tranny or can I just get what is most likely to need replaced? Please give me feedback on what you would do in this case... thanks Chrystal

Old 08-02-2012 | 08:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chrystalortiz
I have a disco 2 in costa rica and the tranny would have a hard time going into reverse. Getting parts in that country is crazy and my husband and I are going down in a month or so so I was wanting to take parts to fix it. Should I take a whole tranny or can I just get what is most likely to need replaced? Please give me feedback on what you would do in this case... thanks Chrystal

Take a whole trans with you.
98% of the time if a auto trans will not go into reverse it is a clogged filter.