Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Disco Will Not Start Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe some nice guy in the forum has a spare he could send you to see? Or do you know another disco owner nearby you could ask to swap out the bcu/ecu and see what happens? Beats buying one. I think you may need keys too.

Last edited by willrok13; 04-11-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You could get a matched pair BCU/ECU at the junkyard. My favorite yard has a 30 day no questions return policy. I don't own a Hawkeye, but perhaps some kind nearby member or indy shop has that or a more advanced tester that can talk to the BCU.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-11-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:37 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Why does taking out the engine and putting it back in lock down the BCM???

I would think - as long as no intelligent electronics was removed and exchanged - this Discovery II will not care.

Engine was removed. And, put back in.
Metal lump with sensors.

Why then are people thinking the vehicle is in lockdown?

This whole thread started as:

Hi guys,
I've got a 2000 Disco it has 170k on it and blew a head gasket. It ran good except for a misfiring cylinder. The gasket blew out the side so it sounded like a big exhaust leak. As I started tearing the engine down I broke (2) head bolts trying to loosen them. Some one had put some sort of sealent on the bolts. Long story short, I ended up pulling the engine and taking it to the machine shop. They were able to extract the 2 broken bolts for me and while they had it they disassembled and rebuilt the engine. I put the engine back in and got everything buttoned back up and now it will not start. It spins over fine but is not getting any fuel. The fuel pump is not coming on when I turn the key. There is no pressure (or fuel) at the fuel rail. I have checked the fuel inertia switch and the fuel pump fuse. There are no codes to read. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
Jason

Old 04-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Welding on engine may have erased program settings that link computer to body control unit

Old 04-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anyway to bypass the immobilizer/ BCU?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps, with correct computer from a dealer or advanced shop. See attached pages from RAVE that indicate program choices. There is also the EKA code, a generic is 1515, did you ever get dealer to reveal the code for your vehicle? How to use that code is on the second page.

There is also the Hawkeye, Hawkeye Diagnostic Tool for Land Rovers - D.A.P.
which can do some functions, but you'll want to call them with specifics. There are other Rover reading computers, prices move on up. Pretty soon you get past the price of towing and the dealer. Don't know if the shop can reprogram both units out of the truck, some guys in Australia have been in same pickle 700 miles from dealer....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 immobil.pdf (29.2 KB, 195 views)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

see Blackbox Solutions Ltd. -- Products Page - pehaps someone in your area has one (that works on other models of cars supported), so they would only need to add the software for Rover.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Found some info on the web for plug in device for the OBDII port, designed for locksmiths I guess, because it reads all kind of vehicles, can memorize new remotes, AND can read EKA code of the vehicle. So perhaps a local locksmith might be able to help. Tell him that you want him to read the EKA code from the OBDII port. Hell eith have the gear or he won't.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man this guy sounds like he's facing my logic tree. I was taught in welding class to remove the battery and sit it on the floor on any motor vehicle before turning on welder.
Contrafiddler (with sick puppy Rover)

Old 04-14-2012, 04:21 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Providing your electronics have survived the welding..
There should be a way to provide an unlock code via the key.
On my 2001 Discovery II - there is a metal tab that the owner left
in the owner's manual. Is this the key code?

Bought a Disco 2 and phoned original dealer and called local LR dealer to get the EKA code. They both gave me the same four digit code but its two letters and two numbers i.e A12B. I was expecting four numbers and the owners book only talks about a procedure with numbers. Any advice ? Have they given me the wrong codes ?
cheers

Youre code is 10-1-2-11 see this EKA code , but the sure way is to read it with tester cos it's changeable

well the code they gave me worked and a=10 b=11 and so on. took the code 1st time and after the obligatory wait I got in and started up fine , took the car for a 1/2 hour drive to make sure battery charged ok came back switched off. went to lock the car and nothing! wouldn't lock with the fob had to use the key. this makes me think its the receiver as I know both fobs were working no problems , unless anybody has any other ideas????
this is going to be a PIA as I will have to go thru this every time .
Andy

This guy must have an EKA decoder ring in his bag of tricks..

DISCOVERY 2 EKA (KAC) Code - IN MINUTES!

Looking for stuff for you..
Ok, this site is good

Land Rover EKA Code

and..

I am Googling..

Ok here is one:

This one is from the Workshop manual>

There are three configurations for emergency key access:
l EKA not active (no immobiliser fitted).
l EKA active.
l EKA with super locking on receiving good passive remobilisation exciter coil signal.

The code is recorded on the security information card and is entered as follows:
1 Using the key, turn the driver's door lock to the UNLOCK position and hold in this position for at least 5 seconds.
An audible warning is then emitted to indicate that the body control unit is ready to accept the code. Return the key to the centre position. It is now possible to use the key to enter the separate numerical values of the four digits that make up the EKA code.

Enter the first digit of the code. If the first digit is 4, turn the key to the UNLOCK position 4 times. Ensure the key is fully returned to the centre position after each turn of the key.

Enter the second digit of the code. If the second digit is 3, turn the key to the LOCK position 3 times. Ensure the key is fully returned to the centre position after each turn of the key.

Enter the third digit of the code. If the third digit is 2, turn the key to the UNLOCK position twice. Ensure the key is fully returned to the centre position after each turn of the key.

Enter the fourth digit of the code. If the fourth digit is 1, turn the key to the LOCK position once. Ensure the key is fully returned to the centre position after each turn of the key.

Finally, turn the key to the UNLOCK position and back to the centre position, a double bleep will indicate that the code has been entered correctly. A single bleep indicates that the code has been entered incorrectly.
Then, before opening the door, wait 5 minutes for the alarm and immobiliser to be de-activated. During the 5 minute wait for the alarm and immobiliser to be de-activated, the alarm indicator LED in the instrument pack continues to flash (one flash every 2 seconds).
DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR OR ATTEMPT TO ENTER THE CAR until the full delay period has elapsed.
When the 5 minute wait has elapsed, the alarm indicator LED stops flashing. Immediately open the door, insert the key in the ignition switch and turn the switch to position II. If the ignition switch is not turned to position II within 30 seconds of the end of the 5 minute wait, the engine is automatically immobilised again.

The EKA code will not be recognised if there is an interval of 10 seconds or more between key turns or if the key is held turned for 5 seconds or more during the procedure.
In some system configurations a successful EKA code entry is indicated by the audible warning device pulsing twice for a period of 50 ms on, 200 ms off. The theft deterrent LED is switched on for 1 second, all doors unlock, the alarm disarms and the vehicle is remobilised allowing the engine to start.
If an incorrect code is entered, an audible warning is emitted and the procedure must be repeated. Up to a maximum of 10 attempts to enter the code is possible. After 10 attempts, the BCU will not allow any further codes to be entered for a period of 10 minutes.

I just used 5 5 14 as an example.it is a four number sequence,
so if its 03 04 14 10, you turn the key 3 times unlock, 4 times lock, 14 times unlock and 10 times lock. then to the unlock position and hopefuly hear 2 beeps, one beep means that the code has not been accepted,if accepted you need to wait 5 minutes before opening the car while the alarm disarms, the dash light will flash very fast and the hazards may flash,you have 30 seconds to turn on the ignition and engine after this or the immobiliser comes on again.

Quick Reply: My Disco Will Not Start Please Help