Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My luck ran dry...as is my wallet

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down My luck ran dry...as is my wallet

I got stuck in traffic near the Ohio State campus today. They're doing all kinds of stupid construction, and I got wedged into one lane with all kinds of potholes and craters, and giant holes in the road. No problem. Well, it wasn't a problem until I hit a particularly large one which jarred the whole truck pretty bad...and triggered a flashing ECM. The exact same problem as before, and the exact same symptoms. So there is something physically loose or broken in my ECM.

While I can genuinely say I'm not surprised, I am a little disappointed. That being said, I had a couple of questions.

When I took it to the shop, and they gave me the quote for the ECM, there were three things on the list.

The ECM of course - $1700
Labor - $89.95
Programming the ECM - $99.95

That raises a question in my head: Why do they need to program the ECM? I figured it's a plug and play thing.

But that raises an even bigger question in my head:If I were to get my hands on a used ECM (for much cheaper than $1700), would it need to be programmed?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I would make sure the connector on the ECM is plugged in tight before you lay out money for an ECM. I could be wrong but since the problem went away after they unplugged the connector and plugged it back in then the problem came back when you hit a hole I think it's a loose connection rather than a problem in the ECM. Take a long zip and wrap it around the ECM and connector to keep pressure and see if that makes any difference. I really don't think you have a major problem.

Of course, what do I know? LOL

Old 04-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by AK Rover
I would make sure the connector on the ECM is plugged in tight before you lay out money for an ECM. I could be wrong but since the problem went away after they unplugged the connector and plugged it back in then the problem came back when you hit a hole I think it's a loose connection rather than a problem in the ECM. Take a long zip and wrap it around the ECM and connector to keep pressure and see if that makes any difference. I really don't think you have a major problem.

Of course, what do I know? LOL
That's a good idea AK...

Is the ECM the silver thing that is mounted on the passenger side inside the truck?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by tornado_735
That's a good idea AK...

Is the ECM the silver thing that is mounted on the passenger side inside the truck?
You know what I should do is call the city, and tell them that the road broke my truck, and have them fix it LOL!

Old 04-24-2009, 05:44 PM
TReK

Do you have the RAVE manual? If not click on the link in my signature and download it. It is a life saver.

Yes, the ECM is on the passenger side, more than likely behind the glove box. It's hard to tell exactly from the picture in RAVE.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 PM
TReK

This may help a little more. This was copied from RAVE

The engine control module (ECM) is located on the RH side A post below the face panel inside the vehicle. It has a
cast aluminium case and is mounted on a bracket. The ECM has 5 independent connectors totalling 134 pins.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by AK Rover
This may help a little more. This was copied from RAVE

The engine control module (ECM) is located on the RH side A post below the face panel inside the vehicle. It has a
cast aluminium case and is mounted on a bracket. The ECM has 5 independent connectors totalling 134 pins.
I did have a disc but I don't know where it is. I clicked to download it and it opened in firefox. Found the fuel injector connector.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude come on. if you had to replace an ECU every time you hit a bump in an actual roadway i don't think they would use the damn things for a camel trophy event. With a rover and any other car for that matter start really small. I learned really fast that most people are so quick to tell you to replace all of this goofy **** on your car and half the time it's something that takes one hour and five bucks to fix.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by khuds308
Dude come on. if you had to replace an ECU every time you hit a bump in an actual roadway i don't think they would use the damn things for a camel trophy event. With a rover and any other car for that matter start really small. I learned really fast that most people are so quick to tell you to replace all of this goofy **** on your car and half the time it's something that takes one hour and five bucks to fix.
Yo, check my new thread...

Last edited by tornado_735; 04-25-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: not annoyed anymore.