Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO HG LEAK!!! WALLET = HAPPY!!!! But oil question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile NO HG LEAK!!! WALLET = HAPPY!!!! But oil question

So I've had a coolant/oil leak for a while now that I've been needing to get addressed. I finally manned up and took the car in to my mechanic and got back the greatest news I could have wanted!....my gaskets are fine and the coolant leak was coming from a heater hose near the back of the engine (so freaking happy about this!)....but here's the weird thing, my mechanic told me that I didn't have an oil leak. He suggested that I stop using synthetic all together, and get this....start using Castrol 20/50 or something similar in the summer and 10/40 in the winter. His reasoning was that LR engines haven't really been changed since the 60s so they are "antiques" and do better off the syn stuff. In his defense, he's a British car mechanic and specializes in LRs and odd cars, so I trust that he's knowledgable. But as soon as he said that, I was extremely interested to hear what all the locals here have to say. I'm gonna try it out regardless, but I always respect the info I get on here, so thoughts on this?

Joseph

Old 05-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea my mechanic says they are recommended by Land Rover to use 20w-50.
I've been using that all year round because it doesn't get too cold in NC, plus I'm paranoid about leaks.

However plenty of guys here use synthetic oil and don't have issues. But keep in mind that most people here that give advice are on top of the cars all the time and take care of them like nobody's business. Mainly I'm referring to Spike, DiscoMike, Bundu and a few others.

If you're still using dexcool now would be a good time to switch to Prestone or Peak.

Glad to hear about your good news.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 05-06-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Banned

That story about the synthetic is BS. Stick to your 10W40 if your engine is happy or maybe go to 15W40, but don't go to 20W50 - not at your miles for your 2004.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Bundu
That story about the synthetic is BS. Stick to your 10W40 if your engine is happy or maybe go to 15W40, but don't go to 20W50 - not at your miles for your 2004.

Why not at my mileage? If I am leaking oil, then I feel like I need to try something. All my gaskets seem to be fine as of yesterday, so I am just thinking this may or may not be a solution.

It doesn't get too hot or cold in Knoxville Tn either.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just switched to Mobil 1 10w30 high mileage. I swear it runs cooler, is quieter, and even the valve covers are still holding back the oil.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are only two reasons NOT to use synthetic:

#1 is if you have leakage and have to add oil between changes, the synthetic is obviously more expensive.

#2 is if you just really love doing oil changes because with non-synthetic you get to do twice as many of them.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I may get hell for this one, but I use synthetic 5W 30.I have so far put 2500 miles with this oil in and she seems to run better.I do have a oil leak whear the tranz and engine meet, I have to tighten the bolts up once and a while and the lrak stops.I am newer to Land Rovers, I do lots of resurch, the oil has all ways been a hot topic, I have family in England that are into Land Rovers and they use the 5w 30 oil with out any probs.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:52 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Your are a fool to let something like a coolant leak be put on the back burner, till you could get it checked. May be I should say you are a lucky fool, but still a fool, got any idea of wheat a head gasket, or worse yet a new engine caused by overheating, costs, $2000 to $8000.
What else have you neglected, have you done your major service which needs to be done every 30,000 miles?
As for the oil, go to Rotella's 15W/40 synthetic and something like a Mobil One-301 filter.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jpluncford21
So I've had a coolant/oil leak for a while now that I've been needing to get addressed. I finally manned up and took the car in to my mechanic and got back the greatest news I could have wanted!....my gaskets are fine and the coolant leak was coming from a heater hose near the back of the engine (so freaking happy about this!)....but here's the weird thing, my mechanic told me that I didn't have an oil leak. He suggested that I stop using synthetic all together, and get this....start using Castrol 20/50 or something similar in the summer and 10/40 in the winter. His reasoning was that LR engines haven't really been changed since the 60s so they are "antiques" and do better off the syn stuff. In his defense, he's a British car mechanic and specializes in LRs and odd cars, so I trust that he's knowledgable. But as soon as he said that, I was extremely interested to hear what all the locals here have to say. I'm gonna try it out regardless, but I always respect the info I get on here, so thoughts on this?

Joseph
Your mechaninc is correct except that you can use full syn if you want, however I wouldnt.
I use Rotella, 5w-40 in the winter (it gets cold here) and HD-30 in the summer.
I change my oil every 5,000 miles.
Living in Knoxville you could use 20w-50 all year.
Here is a flow chart with the temps that the various weights of oil flow when cold and how well they protect when hot.
http://www.carbibles.com/images/saerates.jpg
If you can find it Castrol Syntec comes in 20w-50, I used to use it in my 2001 Montero, from its very first oil change to the last one I did 100k later and the inside of the engine was as clean at 100k as it was the day I brought it home with 61 miles on it.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Your are a fool to let something like a coolant leak be put on the back burner, till you could get it checked. May be I should say you are a lucky fool, but still a fool, got any idea of wheat a head gasket, or worse yet a new engine caused by overheating, costs, $2000 to $8000.
What else have you neglected, have you done your major service which needs to be done every 30,000 miles?
As for the oil, go to Rotella's 15W/40 synthetic and something like a Mobil One-301 filter.
We're not going to argue about this. We're not even going to address it again, but: Mike you have been a big help to me concerning my truck and am extremely impressed at your willingness to make yourself available with the community here. But there are very few people in this world I will let call me a fool, especially people who basically amount to being perfect strangers. A car is a car, and I have done what I have felt needed to be done thus far concerning maintenance. 60k service etc. I have a child on the way and you'll excuse me for considering doctors visits, baby food, and diapers to be more important than a coolant leak. I understand your concern about the cost of a new HG, engine, etc. But I am an adult and am very well aware of the costs. When I hit the lottery I will surely make sure that I have everything fixed and gold plated, and I'll even send you the reciepts if you want, but until then please take into consideration that people's priorities are different in life and keep the name calling to yourself.

Now, I've looked and can find the Castrol 20w50 here, so I think I'm gonna try it out just to see what happens. I change my oil every 3k to 3500 using syn anyway so I'm already used to the frequency. I was just curious what Bundu meant by not using that weight at my mileage. Thanks for the constructive advice guys. Spike, that's a great link. Def useful!

Quick Reply: NO HG LEAK!!! WALLET = HAPPY!!!! But oil question