Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My mechanic burned my disco.. omg

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Wow.
I need to go take some Tums.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is really too bad, do you have anything showing the condition before the fire? That may help if there is litigation. I have liability only on mine too, I might rethink that now! I would definitely try to buy it back, now that there is nothing to lose, you could probably make a really awesome off road vehicle. I would scrap all the wiring I could. these things have way too much computer.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Bottom line:

You should be out zero money for this situation. You brought your vehicle to a mechanic to have the engine overhauled and your mechanic is accountable for making you whole and ensuring that you are not out any money. That means that you should consider yourself as owning a Discovery in need of an engine overhaul. Ethically, you should only expect to be compensated for the value of the same. If you're able to pay off your note at the end of this, consider yourself lucky.

1.) Start by filing a claim with your mechanic's insurance company for the fire damage and see what they do. I'm 99.9% sure they'll total it, especially because the engine work will need to be finished before it's driveable. I suspect that they will not consider the engine condition and will simply assess the value of a 2003 Discovery as if it were running fine.
2.) Technically, you would still owe the mechanic the value of any work completed to that point because the insurance company will be reimbursing you for the value of a running Discovery, which you did not have.
3.) Push the mechanic to not charge you a dime for his work so far because he caused you considerable inconvenience, but consider reimbursing him for the cost of any parts he's actually incurred.

At the end of the day, you did not have a running/driveable vehicle when you brought it to the mechanic and so in my opinion, you should consider that fact ethically and not try to get more back than you started with. I also believe that ethically the mechanic should expect nothing for his time in working on it so far but should expect payment for any parts he's put into the engine. So that's a reasonable baseline. Now, if that mechanic goes out of his way to make you completely whole and you end up being able to keep the insurance proceeds entirely, tell who it is because that's one shop I would do business with.

Dave

Old 09-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Can someone help me out so I can see the pics too?

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller...Bueller...

drink the kool-aid, man...

drink the kool-aid

Old 09-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Rock Crawling

honestly it seems to me as though he connected the battery backwards. or touched a ground to the positive.

sickening...

sorry about your loss...

Old 09-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Winching

whoa boys hold up.

i paid cash for this truck 4 months ago.

its a cheap care and i've had problems with it since i bought it. the engine was rebuilt once already 2 months ago by my mechanic. the engine had a tick nothing else... the engine still had a tick before the fire. i could have drivin it anywhere i wanted to, not very long but still the car ran fine.

HE BURNT MY TRUCK........ on his property, under his supervision, on his time...i'm sorry buy i'm not paying a dime or losing anything.

if they dont total the truck i'll sue him, not it small claims.

6900 for the truck and 6200 for the shoty engine rebuilds by his workmen ship that caused the fire!!! anything less wont cover my losses.

if they total it, i'll sell the new engine thats sitting next to the truck clean what i can and sell off the parts ( front end. etc)

Old 09-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.HAD YOU had full coverage they would have given you full replacement value.

Not on this planet,we're talking adout insurance companies.

Insurance companies will tell you not to have full coverage on vehicles over 8 years old.

Last edited by Eurotrash; 09-21-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:19 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn, sorry to hear about your rover. I do not have full coverage either. I know I'm taking a risk but it's not my only vehicle and I just hate making the insurance companies rich.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Winching

this guys insurance company will pay...i'll be sueing him if they dont

Old 09-21-2009, 06:36 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 03discoman
this guys insurance company will pay...i'll be sueing him if they dont
I dont even see why your insurance company even comes into play, so I think thats your best move. He pays or you sue. Hopefully you wont have to sue, but if you do you'll win that case hands down.

Quick Reply: My mechanic burned my disco.. omg