Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Mechanic Said......

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012 | 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

ummm - the vehicle when traded in will end up at auction, and we'll have a new member shortly there after. And you can be sure that the dealer won't feel any pain on the transaction.

Old 02-04-2012 | 08:00 AM
|
Drifting
Wink I Agree

Yes I agree, the fluids were checked before leaving for the 4 hr. trip, but the hoses should have been checked also. Being proactive would have saved us a lot of money for sure. I am a full time student and my husband works, not that it is a excuse but it was a rush leave for the trip for my sons gradation (mid week) which limited us to time. Just life bit us I suppose. Leason learned.

Old 02-04-2012 | 08:01 AM
|
Drifting

Oh also I was told the truck is worth more in parts, Maybe I should sell the parts...

Old 02-04-2012 | 08:12 AM
|
Drifting
Lightbulb @ Savannahbuzz

Yes the dealership will feel no pain for sure, No matter what I look at though is going to be bought to my mechanic to check out before hand. When I bought the Rover, I bought it to someone who strickly worked on Rovers to check it out, they said it mechanically seemed sound. I somehow feel it was not checked out the way it should have been. The mechanic was down the road from the dealer I bought it from, just makes me wonder. This time I will bring the choice to my mechanic for a good inspection of the vehicle.

Old 02-04-2012 | 10:36 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jrover99
According to my husband they pulled the spark plug out on #6 (finally got the right #) and put a scope camera through there. My mechanic did not want to do any big job he has an auto repair business, but is not use to working on Rovers on a regular basis. I am looking to trade it in, I simply cannot afford to keep up with it. My son graduated from the Marines on 1/13 on the way there we blew a house that connects to the radiator, thermostat,resovoiur, heater core and water pump. That ended up costing us about $900. because the Land Rover dealer was 106 miles away and we had to be towed. The car was misfiring before the hose happened. The Rover does not run rough, it runs well it only was misfiring some mornings and it came and went lasted for a fraction of a second and then ran fine for the rest of the day. I just wanted to get it checked out with a mechanic now, cause we were planning on selling it, and had wanted to get the check engine light off and ready for selling. It cost me $200. today and my mechanic said if the light comes back on he will reset it before we go to the dealership. I will not sell it to anyone I would feel bad, let a dealership get it is my feeling.
If you want some more feed back/help, PM me your number and I'll call over the weekend and we can talk.

Old 02-04-2012 | 04:06 PM
|
Drifting
Unhappy Will I even be able to trade this Rover In??

Omg, the truck overheated on a local drive. Lucky for me there was a gas station that I pulled into. The hood smoked a little and I got a ride from there to work. My husband is on his way to the Rover right now, so I will keep you all updated. @ Disco Mike I emailed you privatley any input would be greatly appreciated. I just need to trade this thing in asap if I can.

Old 02-04-2012 | 04:34 PM
|
Drifting

Ok I have the truck again, the cap on the resovoir was not put on properly and was loose, hence the mechanic. My husband said one of the hoses was bubbling a little, and he put a new clamp and tightened it well. Boy is my mechanic's gonna hear it on Monday!!

Old 02-04-2012 | 05:57 PM
Team Owner

To buy yourself sometime buy a bottle of K-Seal and follow the directions.
It will stop the headgasket leak long enough for you to trade it in.
Use ONLY the K-Seal.

Old 02-04-2012 | 06:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jrover99
Yes I agree, the fluids were checked before leaving for the 4 hr. trip, but the hoses should have been checked also. Being proactive would have saved us a lot of money for sure. I am a full time student and my husband works, not that it is a excuse but it was a rush leave for the trip for my sons gradation (mid week) which limited us to time. Just life bit us I suppose. Leason learned.
But see, you knew the trip was coming up how long in advance? A month, maybe more?
Plenty of time to be proactive and prevent a breakdown.
Sorry to be a jerk, but 98% of all breakdowns are preventable no matter what machine it is, car, boat, semi...all preventable.

Old 02-04-2012 | 07:07 PM
Winching

Man, people have all kinds of troubles with these things I guess. I drive mine all over the country, high miles and all. Of course I say this after spending the morning swapping out exhaust gaskets only to find out the Y pipe is cracked at the flange. Now I'll be welding... lol. Still don't hate the truck, it's just an old high mileage 4x4 now.

Quick Reply: My Mechanic Said......