Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New D2 ... and all new issues!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 08:22 PM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default My New D2 ... and all new issues!

Here is my new Disco I just picked up!
This is my first Land Rover.
2000 white/grey, Air suspension, pretty loaded.
192K miles
Lots of little things wrong that I will be addressing.

It had the most wonderful cush ride, and I immediately killed that by putting Nitto Ridge Grapplers on it. Spare no longer fits on the rear hatch.

Here are the issues I know about so far:
* Headlights are terrible. Poorly aimed and just dim! Can I buy super-zapper-new-bulbs?
* Stereo does not work. Did some research and it seems to be the amp(?) Ebay special on the way!
* No roof top tent (yet)
* Gear select indicator thing is broken and just floats loose on the console.
* Front skylight leaked a bit when the rain came today
* Bags deflate overnight (but not if left fully pumped up!)
* Brake pedal has sponge, but gets nicely firm on second pump (otherwise feels ok)
* Steering wheel leather is peeling off a bit
* Front driver seat leather is coming off (this seems like a common problem where the plastic retainer that holds the seat leather on is broken)

There's more, but I'm going to try and take it slow.
The good news:
* Has in-line thermostat mod (which I think removes some weird circulate mode and helps cooling?)
* Head Gaskets done by PO
* I love it.

I'm doing three things, then taking a massive overland road trip in it.
* Buy Tires
* Change Oil
* New battery
* monitor temp

The following 6 users liked this post by swissarmychainsaw:
greisinb (11-18-2020), jastutte (11-18-2020), nashvegas (11-18-2020), Richard Gallant (11-17-2020), Wheelspin (11-18-2020), whowa004 (11-18-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-17-2020, 08:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

Awesome truck and white/grey is a killer combo on these. Alpine-Snow-Rover.

For the spare / rear hatch, check out my post about it. I got the relo bracket from Atlantic British (Rover Bones) and it's super.

FWIW my brakes do the soft first pump, firmer second pump and everything is new. I notice this on just about every 99-02 including all 3 I've owned. The 2 different 03-04's I've had have NOT exhibited this symptom. The 03-04 apparently have a different PN for the front brake calipers, and a recalibrated SLABS ECU (later part numbers, 2 of them -most ppl would know this because the later SLABS eco from 03/04 supports CDL differently and works with the 04 CDL mechanism). I'm not sure of any other system differentiation.

I'd let all that ride but think about fixing the water leak soon enough this winter before you start losing ECU's on pass footwell, wiring issues and screw up the interior fusebox below the steering wheel...

Old 11-17-2020, 08:51 PM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Awesome truck and white/grey is a killer combo on these. Alpine-Snow-Rover.

For the spare / rear hatch, check out my post about it. I got the relo bracket from Atlantic British (Rover Bones) and it's super.

FWIW my brakes do the soft first pump, firmer second pump and everything is new. I notice this on just about every 99-02 including all 3 I've owned. The 2 different 03-04's I've had have NOT exhibited this symptom. The 03-04 apparently have a different PN for the front brake calipers, and a recalibrated SLABS ECU (later part numbers, 2 of them -most ppl would know this because the later SLABS eco from 03/04 supports CDL differently and works with the 04 CDL mechanism). I'm not sure of any other system differentiation.

I'd let all that ride but think about fixing the water leak soon enough this winter before you start losing ECU's on pass footwell, wiring issues and screw up the interior fusebox below the steering wheel...
Thanks for that! I just ordered the relocation kit.
Good to know the brakes are "normal".

Also: what is up with those lug nuts. Sheesh, covers?? really?

Yeah the most important thing is getting the radio working! Everything else we can ease into! Good news is, it's not quite the rainy season here yet, so I have a bit of time (if someone has a thread on fixing the skylight I'll take it!)

Here it is with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers I just put on, rides rough now. Sad.

Last edited by swissarmychainsaw; 11-17-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:29 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

"Also: what is up with those lug nuts. Sheesh, covers?? really?"

Add 27mm 1/2" drive socket and a 24" breaker bar to your list of tools to buy... And keep in the rear cubby.

Might want to check the function of the bottle jack if it has one.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:14 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Second the 27mm - not the imperial close enough! And a torque wrench, 103 lbs., no more.
Get used to telling mechanics "hand tools only". Doesn't take a minute with an air tool to send you off buying more.

Originally Posted by Dave03S
"Also: what is up with those lug nuts. Sheesh, covers?? really?"

Add 27mm 1/2" drive socket and a 24" breaker bar to your list of tools to buy... And keep in the rear cubby.

Might want to check the function of the bottle jack if it has one.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 892 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Doesn't take a minute with an air tool to send you off buying more.
Correction -- ... to send THE SHOP off buying more." If you told them to not use impact tools.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:49 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

Along with changing the engine oil, you should also change the fluids in both differentials, the transfer case, and the transmission. And grease the driveshafts (replacing the front one if it is not greasable).

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 07:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
Along with changing the engine oil, you should also change the fluids in both differentials, the transfer case, and the transmission. And grease the driveshafts (replacing the front one if it is not greasable).

definitely do al this before taking that trip.

replacing the transfer case can be expensive if it runs dry and locks up.

Edit: also, when changing fluids always make sure the fill plugs come out before draining any of the fluids.

Last edited by jastutte; 11-18-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

* Headlights are terrible. Poorly aimed and just dim! Can I buy super-zapper-new-bulbs?

The best solution for this that I have found is.
Get a new headlight harness with new relays that connects directly to the battery. This upgrades the wiring to the lights. Then toss in some Hella 100w bulbs (or your preferred brand 100w).
This made a huge difference, along with adjusting and aiming the headlights. Go ahead and buy new adjusters and sockets, because there is a chance when you start to move them they will break.

Check the front driveshaft, do that on your fluid change and with each oil change.

Drop the headliner, seal the drain tray for the sunroof and also seal under the top hard trim for it, water will come in under the trim between the roof.

Selector and steering wheel can be purchased off eBay or one of the forums used parts suppliers.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

You can just loosen rear bumper and it will drop just a hair and use the stock tire carrier...did it on the green d2 and it fits 265/75/16 just fine. Also check the tire pressure, sometimes shops really fill new tires up way to high imo. I put in a pair of Auxbeam LED headlights and have been very impressed. Best4x4 has been recommending them for a while now and they are good bang for your buck.

Quick Reply: My New D2 ... and all new issues!