Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New D2 ... and all new issues!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 10:20 AM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
Along with changing the engine oil, you should also change the fluids in both differentials, the transfer case, and the transmission. And grease the driveshafts (replacing the front one if it is not greasable).
Good call, can you guys recommend fluids I can get at a local auto parts place for this (in the US).
My Rave says:
Automatic Gearbox:
Use Texamatic 9226, ATF Dexron 11D or Dexron 111 for refill and topping-up

Transfer box
Use Texaco Multi-Gear 75W/90R or oil meeting specification API GL5.

Front and rear axles
Use Texaco Multi-Gear 75W/90R.

Does the rear diff have LSD? If so does it need the LSD additive?

Last edited by swissarmychainsaw; 11-18-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

I'm looking to switch my 2002 non-SLS Disco to SLS... if you decide to remove the air suspension, let me know? haha

Old 11-18-2020, 11:58 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Brandon318
I'm looking to switch my 2002 non-SLS Disco to SLS... if you decide to remove the air suspension, let me know? haha
Just buy one more!!!

Old 11-18-2020, 12:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by swissarmychainsaw
Just buy one more!!!
There's an empty lot across the street from our house here in Monterey, and I've been wondering what it'd look like owning that to park all the discos that need adopting from Craiglist haha. I'm sure neighbors would be thrilled.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

Congrats on your purchase! Some stream on consciousness thoughts/suggestions:
  • No LSD. Lots of people recommend 85W-140 for the diffs/transfer box. Most of the transfer cases leak like sieves so I'd imagine your fluid level is probably low. If the PO hasn't already, consider upgrading from the cheap plastic fill plugs on your differentials to these cheap brass ones. There are a bunch of sellers on eBay so you might be able to find em cheaper but heres a link for illustrative purposes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-...wAAOSwARZXjQlB
  • Note the procedure for the transmission - needs to be topped off while the engine is running. There's a thread in the stickies.
  • For headlights, I recommend these bulbs (at the suggestion of Best4x4) - they're super bright and whiter without being blue.
    Amazon Amazon
  • Knock out the PCV mod - it's a 5 minute job on the pre-facelift trucks and it'll fix most valve cover oil leaks that you may have (or prevent them).
  • The lug nuts are trash but as others mentioned, be careful with them because replacements are weirdly expensive.
  • Mine also had a gross peeling steering wheel, which I replaced with a $200 used part from eBay. The later models came with a single-color steering wheel leather wrap, instead of the brown/black one on the earlier trucks, and the later version appears to hold up much better.
  • Ensure your front driveshaft is greasable and if it is, grease it. I didn't know the history of mine and threw in a new one for like $150 from Lucky8.
  • Check the flexible hose leading from the airbox to the front fender. If stock, they can just disintegrate.
  • I recommend picking up an Ultragauge for monitoring engine temps - mine is mounted to the left of the instrument cluster above the air vent using the horizontal mount. The gauge on the dash cannot be relied upon to indicate an overheat condition (until it's too late)
  • Once your stereo is working, if you'd like to maintain the factory appearance while adding some modern features, you can pick up a bluetooth receiver that will plug into the back of the stereo unit from GROM Audio. It replaces the factory 6 disk CD changer under the passenger seat, and comes with a microphone. It's nice because you can take phone calls over the speakers, and the steering wheel controls will work to change tracks.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Congratulations! My thoughts on some of your concerns that others may not have already hit upon.
Here are the issues I know about so far:
* Stereo does not work. Did some research and it seems to be the amp(?) Ebay special on the way!
- Check your speakers as well, my cargo door subs were totally rotted out,.

* No roof top tent (yet)
-I have a RTT- it looks awesome on the D2 (and we use it alot!), consider getting a small collapsible step stool and keeping it in the back, it makes setup and take down way easier. You may also want to consider a rear cargo ladder, I use that all the time to climb up and fasten the last few straps. Plus I like being able to tell people that I use it on a regular basis! There's nothing better than having it set up and opening the top zipper and just towering over everything else, my kid loves it! Consider your mounting options carefully, the nice thing about the D2 is that it has a roof gutter so van ladder racks actually mount to it pretty easily. Mine is mounted to both the factory roof rack (I have the full length bars) but they were still flexing pretty good with the whole family up there so I also braced it with a cheap van ladder rack and it's rock solid now.
* Gear select indicator thing is broken and just floats loose on the console.
-The tabs have a tendency to break off but it doesn't actually effect the functionality, mine was like this too but luckily I was able to find a replacement at the junk yard.

* Front skylight leaked a bit when the rain came today
-Fix this immediately before rain water leaks down on in the inside where the computers are (behind the glove box). Mine drained down the seatbelt on to my wife, which did not endear her to the Land Rover (at first, she loves it now). I "fixed" it by getting a sheet of automotive vinyl from amazon and covering the whole thing up, both on the front and back. I don't miss the sunroofs at all, especially because they are blocked by the roof rack/RTT anyway.
* Brake pedal has sponge, but gets nicely firm on second pump (otherwise feels ok)
-Pretty normal, the brakes aren't super great, give them a good bleed and that will help a little.

* Front driver seat leather is coming off (this seems like a common problem where the plastic retainer that holds the seat leather on is broken)
-I broke that same plastic clip while doing some work, I used 3M Dual Lock to repair it and it seems to be holding up, it's like a super heavy duty velcro.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:03 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Get a credit card that offers good points or money back, comes in handy when owning a disco

Old 11-19-2020, 10:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Get a credit card that offers good points or money back, comes in handy when owning a disco
This is true that there will be maintenance items and repairs needed, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how affordably most parts can be acquired.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:39 AM
Mudding

I may be working out of order here, but the Amplifier came in the mail, and this showed up.
Now I'm what, several fluid changes away from road-trip worthiness?

The following 3 users liked this post by swissarmychainsaw:
boston4 (11-19-2020), greisinb (11-19-2020), whowa004 (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 11:57 AM
Mudding

Is there a sticky for the PCV improvement?

Quick Reply: My New D2 ... and all new issues!