Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New D2 ... and all new issues!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 12:12 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts
Old 11-19-2020, 03:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by swissarmychainsaw
Is there a sticky for the PCV improvement?
@Best4x4 has the best guide, available here:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...install-92942/

Old 11-20-2020, 07:45 PM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok folks, tomorrow is the shakedown run, here's what I've done so far after a trip to the auto parts store, and my new best friend who is parting out a Disco!
  • Change Oil (it IMMEDIATELY started leaking out)
  • Changed front diff fluid
  • Change Transfer Case Fluid (OMG what a messy job)
  • Bought a new head unit and installed it (orig. amp works!)
  • Bought a stock jack
  • Bought new Red top battery and installed it
  • Bought and installed battery hold down
  • Rover Floor mats!
  • Cargo area Mat!
  • Non-Matching cup holders
  • Atlantic British Oversized Spare Tire adapter (this was the fastest option for me, and it installed fast)
Ordered but not arrived
  • UltraGauge
  • RotoFlex - one Rover and one cheapo. I read that post about the guy blowing his up on the trail, I figure I'll carry a spare and make a friend for life one day.
The fluids were relatively clean and did not seem that old. I was going to change the trans but decided not to.
Drive shafts look stock, I think there was one zirc fitting on the front one only. So that's something to do in the future.

I think that's it. I just realized I bought this thing on Saturday, and one week later, I'm going "overlanding" for the weekend!
What could go wrong?

Old 11-27-2020, 11:28 AM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is what I learned from my trip (8 hours to Death Valley, 4 days off roading, 8 hours back).
  1. Working Cruise Control would make that trip much easier.
  2. Center Diff Lock is a must. I damaged some trip pieces b/c I could not crawl over an obstacle. Might even add rear locker.
  3. I want more suspension. Lots of time was spent on washboard and having shocks that could handle that would be awesome.
  4. Also rear shocks are played out. Hitting a couple surprise whoops launched the rear of the Disco.
  5. Because of these, I'm considering a lift, though it did great at stock height.
  6. Three Amigos Showed up (thankfully after the rock step-ups at Steele Pass) - Left front brake started squealing (going to clean that and see if there is a change).
  7. SLS is terrific. Loaded down, it still has a nice plush ride. Haha maybe that's actually why!
  8. My new stereo ate the tape adapter so there were no tunes outside static-remote-radio. (this is a bigger problem than it sounds when you're on a 5 day trip with an 11 year old who is keen on listening to a 'book on tape'.
All in, I'm pretty happy with my Disco. Having bought it only a week before the trip, I'm not complaining.
I need to get a scanner and education myself on the Tres Amigos, we can't be losing traction control on a trip like this now, can we?

The following 2 users liked this post by swissarmychainsaw:
nashvegas (11-28-2020), whowa004 (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 11:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

Depending on the fault the TC will still work with the Amigos on. A CDL is a fantastic upgrade. I also have a rear air locker which I fully recommend if spending a lot of time off pavement. Just piece of mind that with the CDL and the locker I'll have plenty of traction with no electronic aids. I'd recommend stainless brake lines regardless of what you decide to do suspension wise.

Looks like a fantastic trip!