Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new Toy..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default will try

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
X2 on hilltoppers. Have you changed the fluid to a heavier weight and checked for shavings? could just be an output shaft bearing..

Also re-build the front shaft..

will try this weekend when i am doing my 60,000 service...i guess i need more beer...

Will let you know when i try, Thanks Chris

Old 03-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
X2 on hilltoppers. Have you changed the fluid to a heavier weight and checked for shavings? could just be an output shaft bearing..

Also re-build the front shaft..

How would i know it is the output shaft bearing? it only makes the noise when i coast or my foot leaves the gas and driving over 20 miles an hour... I have seen a few how to's on this bearing replacement and is in my skill set. I have also seen complete bearing and seal rebuild kits for around $300.00. Would also consider rebuilding ...let me know..

Thanks Chris

Old 03-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

did you find shavings?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default tomorrow

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
did you find shavings?

will drain tomorrow in the morning..will post results..

Thanks chris

Old 03-27-2010, 10:19 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

did you try changing the fluid in the transfer case with the correct fluid or just throw a part at it cause it seemed the right idea at the time.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default bearing... i think

well i did about half of my 60,000 service today. Mobil one syn 10/40 high milage and a mobil one filter, engine flush,air filter and made a big difference . Very quiet. I also drained the transfer case to see whats up. They could of moved that filler about a bit to the left... what a royal pain in the *** that was... Anyway, only got about 1 quart out so it was low. Had a piece of metal about 1 cm long and about 2 mills wide . not a lot of grindings at all just a little dust. Maybe the bearing or worse a gear. I filled up with heavy weight 85/140 oil and took it for a drive. the same noise. I have a transfer case that should be here monday and am having them swaped out. When i get this one out i will open it up to see where the chip came from. if it is bearing i get a rebuild kit and have it rebuilt. i guess it will be up for sale. I also noticed i have green antifreeze and not dex. Should i flush and switch to dex or stay with the green? Next week drive shaft rebuild and change out front and rear diffs oil. I have a shake at 65 so i will be going over suspension next week. I also have a ticking i heard with the bonnet open. the rave says its from the SAI purge valve. Its on the drivers side of the engine. Is that sound normal? Anyway, love the truck...

Thanks Chris

Last edited by vandev; 03-27-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Update...

Well, i took it to the transmission guy yesterday to change out the transfercase. Picked up today and is running great and quiet. Checked high and low ..both working great. He told me that someone had had the transfer case out before and that my tranny had been replaced before. It all makes sense now. when i went to test drive before buying, I notice the transfer case making noise. I look under and see that the cross member missing and that the bolts have been cut off. At the same time i take a look at the drive shaft as i am going to rebuild and notice it looks new...i didnt think much of it till he told me about the transmission being replaced today when i went to pick it up. Bingo....Drive shaft failure takes out tranny and screws up transfer case and cross member...mystery solved....

Now that it is quiet i found 2 other things i need to fix. I must have a exhaust leak as when i accelerate it sounds like a soft knocking as if it where deisel or a stuck valve or lifter. Does not make the sound at idel or crusing. Its very quiet and no ticking except that SAI valve on the drivers side that ticks like crazy. I put my head down under and notice a pully is makeing a very faint ringing sound. When i had a ex rover service manager take a quick look at it he said the same after taking a very long screwdriver and touching parts of the engine in the front with it running and putting the other end of the screwdriver to his ear. It sounds like the crank pully at the bottom but i could be wrong. I will be going over all my exhaust manifold bolts and the one that connects to the cats tomorrow and see if that helps. the tranny guys said my back one was leaking and fixed that after installing my new transfer case. Anyway, thats the latest..

Thanks Chris

Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to check that front pulley bolt & make sure it's tight.

Cool, you people are going to talk me right into a DII!

luck,greg

Old 03-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Smile go for it

Originally Posted by greg409
You might want to check that front pulley bolt & make sure it's tight.

Cool, you people are going to talk me right into a DII!

luck,greg

Get one , i love the way the dII drives and looks. I got my daughter a 2000...gues who the mechanic is??? DUH...My 95 rover is still running ...300,000.00 miles will be parting out next week...she was great... 9 years and 200,000.00 mile i put on her...tough to kill i will tell you that...

chris

Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does your front driveshaft have grease fittings on it? If not, get ready to replace or re-build it. Just because it is new doesn't mean it will last. The double cardan is right by the cat and the grease will dry out.

As for the ticking, if that shaft went, odds are something is loose. The exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking, so don't rule that out.

Glad you got her going quietly. You may want to go through your old case. I am sure there are a few people with 03's that would buy it.

Quick Reply: My new Toy..