Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My nipples fell off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Charlie, do you have a micrometer to measure the diameter you need? I have only massaged my nipples to remove the buildup in years past, and have yet to become as masochistic as you and completely pull them off... so I am only assuming you are looking for a hose with a certain outside diameter (OD) to force up inside? Or are you looking for a hose of a certain inside diameter (ID) to fit over something?

When I read you just left a pretty good parts store, I was going to recommend when going to a parts store: Always look for the guy whose shirt is dirty, needs a shave, looks like he might have slept on a shelf in the store the night before, and appears to be perpetually disgruntled....then make a bet he can't find what you need... then I realised I was describing myself. I am that guy.

Get me measurements, and I will find a suitable hose.
Haha that's a great way to put it. It sort of irks me when I can't go rummage through all of their stuff. Isn't that why traditional retail stores went the way of the albatross??

Anyway, I shockingly do not have a micrometer. But I will rummage my own stuff in the morning and find something suitable to measure it with. At this point I can only say it I smaller than my thumb and larger than my nostril, if that helps. About a half inch, but I'll get a better measurement.

By the way after removing the nipples the water from my AC drains so freely you could fill a cup with it. Now to get it away from all of my metal...

Old 08-19-2015, 05:21 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The other alternative is to use bendable soft copper tubing (similar to microbore used on central heating systems) as it is in a 'hottish' area and zip tie it away from the exhaust pipe and cats with alloy zip ties (they used alloy zip ties on early Lambretta scooters and are still available online ............... now I'm showing my age )

Measure the OD of the nipples and look for a similar OD soft copper tube.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Looked for them, couldn't find them. Hoping the video's help…
A flashlight is a must, unless you have a lift to raise the Disco.

The easiest way I suggest to find them, is to lay under the truck, with your head even with the bell housing, and your feet around the rear diff.

To spot the passenger's side nipple look between the double cardan joint and the transmission. Look but don't touch, otherwise you'll get a face full of water.

The driver's side (on my disco) was slightly obscured by the XYZ switch, as well as one of the wires that run to an O2 sensor. It's easiest to spot between the transmission and exhaust pipe.

I searched for a long time before finding mine, because I wasn't using a flashlight.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Camel Trophy

Oh. I could have given better location directions... good job Moose. I could have also mentioned that my truck is raised (lift and tires, I mean) and i'm skinny so sliding to the right spot is easier. Wasn't thinking...

Old 08-19-2015, 02:42 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Thank you Charlie V!!!
Without the video I would not have found them (and a flashlight).
Actually the inside shot was most helpful, that way I knew where I was looking.
I jammed a coat hanger up them, ducked while the water was pouring out — didn't even need a shower. I feel much better about them now. I think I'll just make a habit of poking at them whenever I'm under there in the future.
Truck is now open, in the sun and jammed full of fans.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:09 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Thank you Charlie V!!!
Without the video I would not have found them (and a flashlight).
Actually the inside shot was most helpful, that way I knew where I was looking.
I jammed a coat hanger up them, ducked while the water was pouring out — didn't even need a shower. I feel much better about them now. I think I'll just make a habit of poking at them whenever I'm under there in the future.
Truck is now open, in the sun and jammed full of fans.
My pleasure.

Another option is to snip the ends of the plugs (this was suggested to me by the auto parts guy and he took his pocket knife out to do just that, so I snatched up my stuff and scurried out). I don't see the point in that, though... I'd rather have them unsnipped in case I ever want to ford water. It would have to be to the top of my tires (or close) before it would be an issue, snipped or just removed, and the chances of me driving in water that deep are pretty close to zero. That would actually be pretty close to my airbox, vertically, and I'm not risking anything like that.

The pictures you saw of the inside show how high the water would have to be to pour in... pretty high (at least on mine).

Old 08-20-2015, 06:48 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I have found my solution, it's the small bore plastic tube used for garden sprinkler/dripper systems and by gently heating it you can bend it to a permanent shape and also by heating it you can refit the rubber nipples into the lowest end and using couple of zip ties and job done.