Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my roof rails the cause of the wind noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 07:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NickAdams
I almost forgot: just a couple of weeks ago, I removed the A pillar trim on the right side, just to have a look. When I re-installed it, I left the three plastic trim buttons out. On the first trip, the wind noise howl was so extreme (at 25 miles per hour!) that I pulled over and popped them back in. Noise gone!
You removed your A-pillar trim and reinstalled them without them breaking? From what I understand that is almost impossible! Good job!

I broke mine upon re-install, the crack in the trim is making some wind noise for sure, just too cheap to replace them right now....

Old 06-12-2016, 03:46 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
Roof Rails shouldn't cause much wind noise, but if you have cross bars attached to them they can be noisy.
X1 ................. I don't have roof rails or cross rails but cross rails are known to be noisy. Bearing in mind the D2 is 'as aero-dynamic as a house brick' so any extraneous roof rails, wing mirror caravan add ons will create additional wind noise even bicycles on the rear door doesn't help any noises. It's best to keep everything inside where possible.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meat
I occasionally take a 3 hours trip to visit my girlfriend's family and the wind noise on the highway has almost driven me crazy. I have always assumed it was the drivers side rear door seal since I can feel some air coming in from around the window but I finally attempted to temporarily solve the issue by thoroughly taping up the frame but it made no difference. (I had already attempted to loosen and adjust them) Are the pre-03 roof rails the culprit?? Are the 03-04 any better?

Did you tape the door frame or around the window itself?
I had the weather stripping slide down on one the windows on my back doors, it made lots of noise as well as I could feel a draft driving down the road. To fix it, I had to open the window, then pull up on the rubber in the track.
Much quieter and no more draft.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy2Rover
You removed your A-pillar trim and reinstalled them without them breaking?
Sure did. Two weeks later, the glass guy broke one. New part on order.

The following users liked this post:
Andy2Rover (06-15-2016)