Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Rover is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 08:24 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Originally Posted by Extinct

How do you know it is running during cranking?

If you look at this photo you can see the schrader valve for the injectors http://files1.kyozou.com/pictures/_2...6/21545056.jpg

There is a valve with a green cap on it that is the vapor purge line, that won't have any fuel in it.

If you have not downloaded the Rave manual, you need to. You can see more diagrams there.

All the big autoparts stores will read codes for free - Advance, O'reilly, AZ

You can pull an injector out of the manifold or get a spare and plug it in to to wiring plug - you can see the injector squirting.

Yes, below water pump and above crank pulley

Not sure of that, search the archives. You can buy a code reader off of Amazon for $5, search for a Elm 327 OBD2 bluetooth reader - you can download the free torque app for Android (buy an old Android phone off of ebay). You need to get the codes read. Based on the symptoms you are reporting I suspect a bad crank or cam sensor - assuming there is fuel pressure. They control the injectors. I will reiterate however, if you squirt fuel down the throttle body and there is spark, it will at least pop. Reconsider my advice on the ECU - using used parts off of ebay is like testing for free - you can always resell them.
Okay I have fuel pressure at the rail, I was a idiot and checking the purge sensor Schrader valve.
Looking into the Cam Position sensor, looks like one of the wires has cracked through the coating but not sure yet if the wire itself is okay, working on that issue.
found a parts truck same year D2 that still has all electronics wondering if I change the ECU do I have to have to remap it or do anything else?
One more question, I borrowed a code reader and the only stored coed it had was P1668 which I believe is alarm related, It read I/M monitors like Misfire OK Fuel system OK, Comp Component OK, Catalyst component OK, Emission stuff, Does the Reader you recommend read anymore that that?
Thanks for the help.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,403 Likes on 1,003 Posts

[QUOTE=Darin Green;626028]Okay I have fuel pressure at the rail, I was a idiot and checking the purge sensor Schrader valve.
Looking into the Cam Position sensor, looks like one of the wires has cracked through the coating but not sure yet if the wire itself is okay, working on that issue.

Originally Posted by Darin Green
found a parts truck same year D2 that still has all electronics wondering if I change the ECU do I have to have to remap it or do anything else?
You need to change ECU and BCU as a set, also recommend inst cluster so it does not blink the mileage at you.

One more question, I borrowed a code reader and the only stored coed it had was P1668 which I believe is alarm related,
Sounds like you have a bad IDM in the interior fusebox or you made a change to the fusebox, ECU, or BCU and it did not sync. You might want to read this thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...o-start-64776/

You could also disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, turn the key on, turn key off, reconnect battery, see if she starts.

It read I/M monitors like Misfire OK Fuel system OK, Comp Component OK, Catalyst component OK, Emission stuff, Does the Reader you recommend read anymore that that?
Thanks for the help.
It allows you to see real time 02 sensor, maf sensor, ECT sensor, etc.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:21 PM
4wd Low

My rover is no longer dead
I found a part donor and purchased ECU/BCU gauge cluster and interior and exterior fuse blocks.
Changed out the interior block first and she fired right up couldn't be happier.
Just want to thank everybody for the input especially Extinct, couldn't have figured it out without your help
Thanks
Darin

Old 11-19-2017, 05:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Good news. Did you have a lot of water damage to the inner fuse box or loose/cruddy connections?

Glad to hear you are up and running again...another rover avoids the crusher.

Brian.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:13 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Good news. Did you have a lot of water damage to the inner fuse box or loose/cruddy connections?

Glad to hear you are up and running again...another rover avoids the crusher.

Brian.
No water damage that I know of and the connections were clean, No idea but she's running good now.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Sometimes the internal relays can take a dump. Rare but it has happened before. Normally it's from water damage/corrosion. Glad you're up & running.