Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my WATER PUMP bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

See page 04-10 Cooling System

Old 05-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Mudding

By the way, Jared, your post on what is needed and how to replace the timing cover gasket from back in January was extremely helpful. My old man and I did the job last weekend. The biggest pain was actually getting the new oil pump gears to align with the key on the crank when putting the timing cover back on. We actually prolapsed the middle gear through the front of the new seal on the first attempt. That was fun. But, in the end, no harm to the seal and we used the pulley to keep the gear from doing the same the next time. No leaks. Whew.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Mudding

I've been on this forum for years and have never posted a picture, so I don't really know how, but it's in Section 04-10 (page 73) in the General Data section.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my heater core hoses are flipped...

Will that cause problems?

Old 05-22-2014, 07:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Jared,
My dog told me to tell you he wanted his bone back....he can't type but he can talk....

Originally Posted by Jared9220
You are awesome! Never thought to check the "General Data" section. I had been all through the cooling and A/C sections multiple times I didn't think to check for a section hidden within another section.
Thank you very much for putting up with my lack of faith and showing me to the source of your knowledge. The fan comes on at 212. Here is the info for anyone in the future:Attachment 21197 You and Ralph are correct and I was wrong. Ouch that hurts to say.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphobell
Jared,
My dog told me to tell you he wanted his bone back....he can't type but he can talk....
I knew that was coming. Thanks Ralph

Old 05-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Technically I believe coolant can travel either way through the core.
It won't affect the general flow of the coolant?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by masterseung
It won't affect the general flow of the coolant?

Which hoses did you get backwards and why can't you just correct the error so they are on correctly? Are you just trying to avoid draining the cooling system again or am I missing something?

Last edited by Jared9220; 05-22-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Which hoses did you get backwards and why can't you just correct the error so they are on correctly? Are you just trying to avoid draining the cooling system again or am I missing something?

The work was done by previous owner, well his mechanic. I just bought this car, haven't driven it more than 200 miles..

I guess it wouldn't make a significant difference, just that it flows from bottom to top...

Yea just don't want to drain and fill again... and I am idling at 221 with a 180 MOTORAD soft spring.. 210 with the heater on.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Three Wheeling

I would go ahead and switch the hoses back to the correct way they should be. Since those hoses are so high up you won't lose to much fluid.

I would be concerned about the hoses being backwards because you are basically back flushing your heater core. It might dislodge some stuff and clog up your radiator or thermostat.

You should not be running that hot with a 180 thermostat. How are your temps while driving on the highway? You could have a bad fan clutch.

To answer your original question, yes you may have a bad water pump. or you could also have a clogged radiator. You can use an IR thermostat to check the radiator for hot and cold spots.
Thanks for your help,

Yea, I'm thinking the same thing...new radiator by previous owner.. but I guess it can be clogged? Water gushed out from top of radiator to bottom when I poured water through it tho..

also pressure tested and losing 1psi after about 10 min...

Quick Reply: Is my WATER PUMP bad?