Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my WATER PUMP bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:57 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

GMB water pump.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Once it arrives, send it back! GMB- the worst pump on the planet. Had 1 leak bad with less than 1K miles on a 98 Disco. JUNK.

Someone above mentioned the AB pump and that's what I went with. It's an AIRTEX, 3 years with no issues. Your choice.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover
GMB water pump.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Once it arrives, send it back! GMB- the worst pump on the planet. Had 1 leak bad with less than 1K miles on a 98 Disco. JUNK.

Someone above mentioned the AB pump and that's what I went with. It's an AIRTEX, 3 years with no issues. Your choice.
Freaking A!!!!

I'm thinking of putting my old water pump back in.... really doesn't look like anything is wrong with it, the impellers look fine and there is no play, solid, no weird noises from the bearings etc.... can it still be faulty and causing problems?

Old 05-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Got the GMB pump... the new gasket that came with it broke into two pieces as I picked it up... also there is a nick on the mounting surface. Gonna return this and thinking of just going to Oreilly's or Autozone and getting the lifetime warranty one for $169..

Old 05-28-2014, 03:48 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Glad you didn't mount it!! I don't know what brand the Auto Box stores carry, but PLEASE don't buy a REMAN.

Just pull the trigger on the Airtex with the brass impeller. Check local or be done with it and call AB....

Rover Water Pump (STC4378) Replacement Fits Discovery, Range Rover & Defender Vehicles

Don't know how old they are, but consider a new belt and fan clutch too.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah, returning the GMB water pump. Went to Autozone and picked up their lifetime warranty water pump.

I wanted to put the old one back in, but upon close inspection, I can tell the bearings are worn so I just went ahead and replaced it.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by masterseung

Yeah, returning the GMB water pump. Went to Autozone and picked up their lifetime warranty water pump.

I wanted to put the old one back in, but upon close inspection, I can tell the bearings are worn so I just went ahead and replaced it.
Glad to hear to finally went and replaced the old pump. Have you noticed any difference in the Temps yet?

I still recommend getting the Real LR gray 180 soft spring when you get a chance. I ran the motorad for over a year and it works better than the stock but I still had temps over 200, (194-204). Now with the LR 180, I run between 186-194 all the time. Money well spent in my opinion.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Jared9220
Glad to hear to finally went and replaced the old pump. Have you noticed any difference in the Temps yet?

I still recommend getting the Real LR gray 180 soft spring when you get a chance. I ran the motorad for over a year and it works better than the stock but I still had temps over 200, (194-204). Now with the LR 180, I run between 186-194 all the time. Money well spent in my opinion.
Thanks, I haven't been able to drive it much but last night was idling at 203F.

Today, drove for a bit and idled at 208.

Then I bled system again and went back in to go for a drive and the SES light was on.

Checked the codes and p0300, p0303, p0305, p1300 and p1319...

Am I ever gonna get to drive this thing?

Old 05-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by masterseung
Thanks, I haven't been able to drive it much but last night was idling at 203F.

Today, drove for a bit and idled at 208.

Then I bled system again and went back in to go for a drive and the SES light was on.

Checked the codes and p0300, p0303, p0305, p1300 and p1319...

Am I ever gonna get to drive this thing?
How long have you owned it? It took me 2 months after I bought it to get it road worthy and another 6 months to clear all the ABS and SES lights off the dash. If these trucks will teach you anything it's Mechanics and Patience.

These codes just popped up so I bet they have something to do with what you just removed to install the new pump.

P0303- #3 misfire
P0305- #5 misfire
P0300 -multiple cylinder misfire (because of the above^ codes)
P1319- Misfire detected with low fuel level

1) are you sure are not low or empty?

2) Did you remove the spark plugs wires?
Check wire #3 & #5 to make sure you did not switch them. Make sure they are pushed on the plug all the way. Feel the wire boot where it connects to the plug and make sure it isn't broke or cracked. (I had 8mm kingsborne wires with 50k on them and the wire inside the boot broke one day when I tried to remove the wires to change the plugs)

3) turn off the lights or wait until it;s dark and start the truck and look under the hood around the spark plugs to see if you see any arcing from the wires or boots.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Three Wheeling

How long have you owned it? It took me 2 months after I bought it to get it road worthy and another 6 months to clear all the ABS and SES lights off the dash. If these trucks will teach you anything it's Mechanics and Patience.

These codes just popped up so I bet they have something to do with what you just removed to install the new pump.

P0303- #3 misfire
P0305- #5 misfire

Check wire #3 & #5 to make sure you did not switch them. Make sure they are pushed on the plug all the way. Feel the wire boot where it connects to the plug and make sure it isn't broke or cracked. (I had 8mm kingsborne wires with 50k on them and the wire inside the boot broke on day when I tried to remove the wires to change the plugs)

3) turn off the lights or wait until it;s dark and start the truck and look under the hood around the spark plugs to see if you see any arcing from the wires or boots.
sigh just bought it on Cinco de Mayo!

Haven't done any repairs but more maintenance, Oil changed like couple days ago to Rotella 15w/40, changed water pump, tstat, checked radiator, changed diff fluids, tranny fluid and transfer case.

Will check on the spark plugs and wiring and report back..

Thanks for your help

Old 05-31-2014, 04:12 AM
Three Wheeling

P0303- #3 misfire
P0305- #5 misfire

Check wire #3 & #5 to make sure you did not switch them. Make sure they are pushed on the plug all the way. Feel the wire boot where it connects to the plug and make sure it isn't broke or cracked. (I had 8mm kingsborne wires with 50k on them and the wire inside the boot broke one day when I tried to remove the wires to change the plugs)

I was a bit low on gas and had the front on ramps. I was low but it wasn't on empty, the light wasn't on.

I did not remove spark plug wires. I checked the wires and the spark plugs and noticed that spark plugs #3 and #5 seemed a bit wet.

I am losing coolant (currently just water). I don't see any leaks but I am having to refill about a half inch in the morning.

Last edited by masterseung; 06-21-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Is my WATER PUMP bad?