Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice From Experts!!!!! =)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need Advice From Experts!!!!! =)

Hey All, I have recently (3 weeks ago) acquired my dream car. I have a 2003 Silver Discovery S with black interior, 16inch rims, and NO sunroofs (which is good since i'll be putting a rack). AND... the VIN is pass the range of the early 03 models with "oil pump" issue as stated on the TSB. She runs great and everything works. It's very clean inside, out, and underneath. I recently moved to St. Croix USVI and the Discovery should be here next tuesday or wed. There are NO Landrover dealers here but I see a lot of locals with some pretty wicked Jeeps...so i'm sure there are some ppl here who know plenty about 4x4's and off roading. (which I intend to do). It has 57k miles and thus far the only thing i have done was change the oil, oil filter, and topped off the radiator fluid level. I used to own VW's and have done A LOT of mechanical work to them so I'm pretty inclined but I have never worked on a trk like this before esp 4x4's.

I would like for some advice on what I should or should not do NOW to get the most out of my dream car. I've been reading up on some posts about the U Joints and drive shaft rebuilds but since I'm new to 4x4s I would like someone to explain exactly what this is all about, what I should do, and the best brands of the parts you guys recommend. I can do the search to find them myself, just give me names.

My Disco is completely stock..(for now) but here are some things I'd like to know more about:

1.Spark plugs
2.Plug Wires
3.Fluid checks and replenishing type/brand
4.What should I check every so often
5.What clunks or clanks or other noises I will here that will be normal but seem un normal to the newbie off roader (HDC pump, TC)
6.Safety Equipment I should have during my adventures.
7.Websites you all recommend
8.Brake pads to use when replacing
8.Tips on anything !!!

MANY THANKS!

Check my pic !!

Last edited by jycsalas; 09-29-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Advice From Experts!!!!! =)

Nice looking truck. I like those wheels.
1. Plugs-4418 Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs
2. Wires- 8mm Magncecor Ignition Wire Set
3. DexCool coolant (the orange stuff) I use 75W-90 gear oil in the diffs and t-case, Mobil 1 for motor oil and ATF.
4. Check your a/c drain pipes. They tend to clog with dirt and the water condensation makes the front carpets wet
5. If you use the HDC it can sound weird. I've only tested it once on a street behind my apt once.
6. top off amounts (at the very least) of fluids, recovery strap, jumper cables, any spares that are in ok condition, spare rotoflex, air filter etc.
7. This one, LRRForums, roverparts (AtlanticBritish), roverconnection, Rovertym (when you're ready for slider, HD bumpers)
8. keep stock unless you upgrade to high performance rotors toothen EBC pads
9. You MUST use premium fuel, get the front driveshaft re-built asap (should be the first thing you do)

There's a lot more but that should get you started. Don't be afraid to ask questions here.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is why you need to rebuild the front driveshaft...the double cardon joint at the back end of the shaft comes from the factory without any grease fittings. So when the joint finally fails from lack of lube it flys apart and because it is spinning at a high rate of speed and is heavy it will punch a fist sized hole into the side of the transmission. $7,000 repair. Its stupid but thats the way it is.
Flush the coolant every 3yrs or 45k, whichever is sooner. You have 57k, SO FLUSH IT!! DexCool is corrosive and cannot be mixed with any other coolant. When it goes bad it will eat your gaskets. Bad head gaskets are a common problem on DII's. DII's all came with DexCool.
Flush your brake fluid every 2yrs no matter the miles.
You MUST use either Magnecor or Land Rover spark plug wires. Anything else and you will be replacing them again in a month. It is a 5 hour job for someone who has never done it on a DII before. So save yourself alot of time and hassle.
Unless you do a complete flush you must use DexCool coolant.
Replace all your differental and transfer case fluids every 50,000 miles. Use full synthetic and you will get better MPG.
Full synthetic in the crankcase too. Change it every 5,000 miles.
You dont have a fuel filter, so dont worry about that.
You MUST use premium gas.
Replace your transmission fluid at the same time you do the rest of the driveline.
Jeep guys as a rule do not like Rover guys.
They both hate Hummer guys.
www.atlanticbritish.com, they also have tech tips.
www.discoweb.org, for their tech tips only.
Check the tire PSI in your spare every 6 months.
Check the oil, coolant and brake fluid once a week until you learn your truck.
Check the diff fluid, t-case and trans fluid every 6 months.
I really cant think of anything else right now.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Thanks for the QUICK response!!

I'll definitely be posting more questions!!!!

Thanks Again!