Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POSSIBLE FUTUR 02-04 DISCOVER II Owner, what do I need to know! Experts inside!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POSSIBLE FUTUR 02-04 DISCOVER II Owner, what do I need to know! Experts inside!

Ok Im finally looking for another vehicle and being a past jeep owner(Grand Cherokee with a 3incher) I loved it but I was younger and now I dont really like the style. Im starting to love the DIS IIs more and more, especially the 03-04 front ends. The interiors are very clean and stylish and these trucks are going very cheap. My questions are

1. Engine wise Im noticing some have done head gaskets and others have had new motors, is this motor bad?
2. If I were to grab a 2001-02, what do I need to upgrade the front end to a 2004? Headlights, Bumper, Grille? Anything else? Header Panel?
3. I just googled it and it looks like I can do a 3inch for around 400 bucks plus the track bar, what tire clearance can I get? 31s?
4. Finally are the new 20 inch factory rims able to mount?

I appreciate any info you give.

PS, whats the best site to buy the mods for the D2s?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 AM

AJPTransport~

I just recently purchased an '04 Disco II back in October. So glad I found this forum. In my research (unfortunately after I bought it) I have found that there are three issues I would be concerned with. It all really matters how mechanically inclined you are as to how big of an issue these things are, and how many tools/space/convience to work on a vehicle you have.

The first big one, as you mentioned is the head gasket issue. Seems like the die hards are saying to just count on replacing it around the 75,000 mile mark, sometimes earlier. Most on here say it can be done at home for around $350, baring nothing else major needs replaced. I'm guessing a shop will hit you for around $1,500. I've only seen a few people say anything about a total engine replacement, but if my memory serves me right, I think they might be the earlier Disco II's??? I might not be right on that one. Bottom line, if the head gasket fails and you drive it to long, of course, the engine will probably get roached.

The second issue I read about a lot is drive shaft replacement. I'm not super mechanically savy when it comes to drive shafts, but the Disco II does have what it needs in it from the factory. You are supposed to have it moded/replaced with one that has greasable u-joints or you will be buying a new transmission for around $7,000. I hear the mod/new one with greaseable u-joints is really not all that bad, again, another $200??

Third issue is what they call "3 Amigos" and from my experience, its a gremlin of the Disco II. The ABS, BRAKE, and TC (traction control) lights all illuminate on occasion. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it doesnt. There are a few easy fixes for this, like changing rotors, and pads that are more dust free. Squealing brakes, and dusty pads are a typical cause of this, so new/better pads that arent dusty, and applying some stop squeak additive to the pads helps this out. Another cause is the anit-lock brake modulator. There are claims that there is a new modulator for $100, but it only fixes the prob about %20 of the time. The nearly %100 fix is around $800 for the part. Keep in mind, to be able to clear the ABS codes, you cant run it over to Auto Zone, apparently Land Rover has some kind of propritary code system (from an ABS stand point) and you have to go to a dealer to get it cleared for, guess again, around $100. I'm sure some shops are cheaper than others. You can get engine codes from Auto Zone if you get a check engine light. When I bought my Disco II, the very next night I was driving it the 3 Amigos popped up, and I've had them come and go.

This forum is a god send. Trust me, if you have a problem and post it on here, chances are someone on here has had the issue, got it fixed, and talked about it. You can download the enormous service manual for free online, which is killer. There are plenty of members on here that will even offer to call you and walk you through something if you are unsure. There is a really nice checklist of things to do for buying a used Disco II when you arent sure what the previous owner did (if anything) from a routine maintence stand point, or whenever the Disco reaches the 60,000 mile point. Its simply called the 60k maintence. Bottom line, my Disco reminds me of my Harley...tons of fun, and really cool. Stay up on the maintence religiously, don't buy cheap parts/fluids, and plan on everything not being cheap. A friggin' oil change, if not bought on sale, and you do it yourself, can run close to $50. One last note, based on everything I've learned, I wouldnt have a Disco II as my only source of transportation. Have a back up ride just in case.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Mudding

1. Engine wise Im noticing some have done head gaskets and others have had new motors, is this motor bad?

VITAL! Search for Oil pump problems on the 2003 model!!! There is a defect in a range of VINs during the 2003 model year that can be fatal to a Discovery Engine when the oil pump goes out. Even if you catch it in time, a new oil pump is expensive and living on borrowed time.

Besides that, you can have head gaskets go, especially if the Discovery doesn't get regular maintenance, including coolant flushes.

2. If I were to grab a 2001-02, what do I need to upgrade the front end to a 2004? Headlights, Bumper, Grille? Anything else? Header Panel?

It just doesn't work. Putting HID lights in a model without them is involved and won't be DOT legal.

3. I just googled it and it looks like I can do a 3inch for around 400 bucks plus the track bar, what tire clearance can I get? 31s?

I'm stock, I'll let others answer this.

4. Finally are the new 20 inch factory rims able to mount?

Please God please get 16's! The tire selection is so much better and the tires are far more functional for any offroad application.

Also, the 2004 model has a locking center differential installed. This isn't available in the 2002 or 2003. If you plan on going offroad it is a really nice option to have.

Last edited by Jawbox; 01-20-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

first read this thread https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328

as for the conversion there are kits you can buy or you can do it yourself. its quite expensive for the headlight assemblys for the 03/04 and there is some minor body work and trim replacement.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Drifting

You need to know......................HOW MUCH MONEY YOU HAVE IN THE BANK FOR REPAIRS!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my 01 in October with 92k. Already have about 30 hours of labor and about 600 in parts. Check all common spots for leaks - head gasket, throttle body heater plate, timing cover gasket, water pump gasket - drive shaft. Get your codes ran to see what it is throwing and go from there. If you are handy do the work yourself and save a ton. As for upgrades, the sky is the limit, or your wallet it is.

Good luck.