Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice regarding major repairs on 03 disco

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice regarding major repairs on 03 disco

Ive had the disco for about a year now. It started a slight tick about 5 months ago. Had the oil pressure checked and the numers werent great. At cold idle it is approx 18-22 psi. At cold 2000 it is 40 psi. At hot idle it is 8 psi maybe 7psi. No oil pressure light at all. It turns off almost instantly after it cycles on. At hot 2000 it is approx 35-38 psi. When cruising on the highway it is at approx 38 -40 at 2500. I use rotella 15w40. The tick has gotten worse and now has a rattle to it. The tick used to go away at about 1500 rpm but now i can still hear it on acceleration up to about 3000. when cruising no tick. I have confirmed that it is not the exhaust. My question is i want to get this fixed but cannot afford a new block. he truck does fall in the vin range of the bad blocks. I am thinking about replacing the main bearings and rod bearings, .10 over and getting the crank resurfaced, new oil pump gears, head gasket, and all seals along the way. I really love this truck and want to get it fixed but not sure if it is possible with this block. Any advice is appreciated
Thanks
John

Old 01-11-2011, 03:30 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would stop driving it and replace oil pump before putting money into rebuild.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks nite train. I very rarely drive it. My wife is a stay at home mom so she dosent go out much unless its an emergency, and then she knows to watch the guage. I would like to do all at once and am thinking of just pulling the motor and refreshing the seals and gaskets. Do the camshafts come with the bearings on or are they seperate? I know that a machine shop needs to do it if your replacing just the bearings but not sure if you buy the whole cam if it can be just installed. Thanks guys. Im thinking about doing the camshaft (and bearings), rod and main bearings, oil pump, head gaskets and all seals and gaskets along the way while its out. Thanks guys. Keep the advice coming please.
John

Old 01-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Is the tick/knock there when the engine is cold? If so, was it originally? I had a similar story to you. It did not knock when cold, but it would show up when hot. Eventually it was there all the time. I replaced the engine with an '04 out of a wreck (which now needs to be replaced), and have not torn down the original engine to find the problem. Mine had progressed to a very loud knock, but I always had great oil pressure. My suspicion is that it was caused by a slipped cylinder liner that wouldn't cause problems until the block became hot. Some day, I'll take it apart and look, just haven't done so yet. If that's your problem (hopefully not), then none of the repairs you're planning will help. I've heard an awful lot of people say if the problem is cylinder related, get another motor and move on.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Three Wheeling

The tick used to only be heard when warm but now is there all of the time. I really hope its not a slipped liner. It dosent seem like it is (fingers crossed). On start up its awful now almost like a rattle. Then goes to a normal tick and goes away at about 3000 rpms.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think everyone here with an '03/'04 4.6 needs to read this...

http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/2...-failures.html

Old 01-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Three Wheeling

yeah ive read that one before. good read and good info

Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Three Wheeling

So how hard are these motors to pull out? Will I need sny special tools to do the repairs that im thinking about doing? camshaft and bearings, camshaft thrust plate, rod and main bearings, oil pump gears, timing chain kit, and all seals that i run into. I wish i could pull the motor and inspect it before i order any parts but i would like to replace all of this anyways. I wish that i could tell if the liner slipped but i dont know if i would be able to tell anyways. Ive done work on smaller motors and but never a v8. Just hope im not getting in over my head with this one but cannot afford labor charges. someone that has done this please chime in

Old 01-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Pulling the engine isn't that difficult (don't get me wrong - it's a pain. But it's not that hard), especially since it sounds like you have some mechanical experience. Oil pump and timing chain aren't tough. I can't advise regarding any of the bearings b/c I haven't gone that far.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

John, send me your number, I think you and I should talk.