Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need guidnce and recommendations for new suspension system

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I would think that extending the distance between the axle and the frame of this trailer would be super simple because.. WW2 Jeep.

Originally Posted by TRIARII
The trailer I have in mind is a M416 Military Jeep trailer. Gonna load it up with a full size spare wheel for the truck and a spare trailer wheel, 5 gallon propaine canister, water, tools, heavy telescope equipment etc. Wondering if these trailers can be lifted to be same level as a lifted truck or if they have any special hookups that compensate for height differences between truck and trailer all and while keeping the truck level while towing.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:29 PM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd need a lot more information and maybe some pics. But yes I'd probably be interested in beta testing. What is your experience with engineering or building of suspension components?
I'll get you some further info tomorrow. It's proven technology that's been around for a long time for those wanting additional height, except with added adjustability to the system. (And separate air ride bladders for ride quality). And as I mentioned, made in the UK (where proper LR parts come from).

If I havent posted some photos by mid afternoon tomorrow please remind me to. I think this may be exactly what you've been looking for.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 09:53 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The trailer I have in mind is a M416 Military Jeep trailer. Gonna load it up with a full size spare wheel for the truck and a spare trailer wheel, 5 gallon propaine canister, water, tools, heavy telescope equipment etc. Wondering if these trailers can be lifted to be same level as a lifted truck or if they have any special hookups that compensate for height differences between truck and trailer all and while keeping the truck level while towing.
Google "M416 spring-over axle flip". This is the easiest, most common, most cost effective way to get additional lift on an M416. There are hundreds of web references across multiple sources on this.

I have owned an M416 for going on seven years. It has the spring-over done and I run 35" mud terrains on it. My RTT is mounted on top and I carry a full size spare, along with the typical camping gear you'd have a on a long trip for a family. I mounted a HF trailer box in front of the tub, as seen in the pic you posted. I use the standard military pintle hitch. I tow it behind my '02 DII which has a decade old+ OME 2" lift with spring spacers. The truck is on 33" KM2's. Even with a full truck of people, ARB fridge and assorted gear in the back it does not sag in the rear under load with the M416 on it. Why? Because tongue weight. It's insanely crucial that you learn about tongue weight and learn how to properly address it when setting up and loading any trailer.

You are barking up the wrong tree with the notion that lift-height equals improved towing ability. In fact, it's generally an inverse relationship: The taller the lift the more issues you need to compensate for when towing.You don't have to take my word for it, but you'll find out the hard way if you fail to get it right. Improper trailer setup usually ends spectacularly.

Last edited by Vermonster909; 02-12-2018 at 09:58 PM.
TRIARII (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 09:45 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi

I like my standard TF shocks with my Swedish made springs but for offroading I would settle for gas EXTREME shocks with separate gas cylinders, yep, they are pricey but they do last better on offroading.

Extreme Racing Shox - Innovative Suspension Systems

Old 02-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I think it was the TF 2" lift kit though Lucky 8 informed me that it's actually a 3" lift. If that's true I definitely need a little extra so my truck does not bottom out on rocks and snow as quickly.
You are barking up the wrong tree with the notion that lift-height equals improved towing ability.
I believe...he wants the lift for off-roading and wants to know which off-roading spring system is best for doing both (towing, loading gear and off-roading). Maybe, there is no such animal...but I believe that's what he's after.

Brian.

TRIARII (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:21 AM
Pro Wrench

That is the worst website I have ever seen.

Hi

I like my standard TF shocks with my Swedish made springs but for offroading I would settle for gas EXTREME shocks with separate gas cylinders, yep, they are pricey but they do last better on offroading.

Extreme Racing Shox - Innovative Suspension Systems

Old 02-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
That is the worst website I have ever seen.
I think you have to use Netscape Navigator and have AOL 2.0 installed to properly see the sight.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 02-13-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Old 02-22-2018, 04:19 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I'd go with RTE springs and honestly the TF longer travel shocks. I have yet to have a pair of TF shocks let me down. Most of the people I've seen complain about TF shocks were running them on old saggy springs so the shocks were doomed from the moment they were installed. I've had OME shocks leak, and I had one set where the bushing fell to pieces 6 months later. I honestly prefer Bilstein 5100's, but I'm still looking into what longer travel shock 1-2inch longer vs OEM would be compatible with our D2's as Bilstein doesn't list a 5100 for our D2's.
These suggestions are great but fail to address my desire for a bit more lift. A solid 3.5 or 4 inch lift would be ideal before all my gear is loaded on. I won't be doing anymore crazy offroading or rock crawling with my new truck but I want the extra ground clearance for when I do hit the trails. Despite the 3 inch lift and tall skinny 235/85 16's my last D2 suffered some notable damage underneath when I bottomed out (exhaust, diff guards and rockers), sometimes it's unavoidable and I want to be prepared. I figure the weight of accessories, equipment, tools and a loaded m416 trailer is bound to take its toll on the suspension not to mention decrease my ground clearance.

I've heard good things about RTE coil springs. Never heard of TerraFirma long travel shocks though. What are the pros and cons to long travel shocks? Would fitting long travel shocks ever dislocat a coil spring?

Should I get springs and shocks that are rated for greater lift in the rear and lesser for the front? Example: 2.5 inch lift springs and shocks in the front and 3+ coils and shocks in the rear? Or should I look for a solid 3.5 inch system front and rear?

What other components might I need to replace in order to compensate a 3.5 suspension lift? I already have a extended lengths Tom Woods front drive shaft. Extended ss brake lines and a beefier steering damper as well. But what else?

Old 02-22-2018, 07:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I mean, for exactly what you're asking for you could get a set of Terrafirma heavy duty 3" rear springs for a D1 and then relocate your rear coils to the front. Then get the TF long travel shocks, or Fox if you're willing to drop the dough.

Then you can always get the rear D1 spring plates which will give you another half inch, but the D1 springs should sit around 3.5".

Quick Reply: Need guidnce and recommendations for new suspension system