Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help (again)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy need help (again)

ok guys, just in time for the trans temp light to get fixed (thank you guys for all your help on that, hubs was so impressed!!), i broke a u-joint. had a little too much fun out in the woods. oops. but thats not what this is about. before that, i noticed a chirping noise coming from the front of the car. i can hear it with the windows up. my disco has 115,000 miles, and i haven't gotten the tires off to check brakes or bearings but i'm doing that tomorrow since the disco is useless until i get the u-joint replaced. any ideas on what the chirping noise might be? i can't figure out any rhyme or reason to the chirp, it does is sometimes on acceleration, sometimes when i'm coasting, but never when i'm braking. so....i'm stumped. i appreciate the suggestions!!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

May have been the U joint in the front propeller shaft, you must consider yourself very lucky. Normally when that part goes, it is at roadway speed and it also damages the transmission. There is a listing in our technical section of the Discovery 1 part of the formum that covers rebuilding the prop shaft. Rock of the Marne!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

And here is the link to how to rebuild that shaft. Propshaft Rebuild - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Parts are cheap, but will need a good vise or bearing press.

Rock of the Marne!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I bet you're right SavannahBuzz, U-joints chirp just before they break, if you're lucky! Sometimes they just go BANG!!! And then you get to go purchase a new transmission!!! Tons O' Fun!!! Sounds like you got REALLY LUCKY! Don't forget to buy some lottery tickets tonight, you may just be on a roll...

Old 09-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So, if you are not very mechanical, don't try and rebuild the shaft, let someone who has done them before cause a double cardon is a bugger to build with no experiences and without the proper tools.
At your mileage, you should plan on replacing all 4 u-joints, Nepco 1-0005 as well as the centering ball. Make sure that you grease them at least twice a year along with the 2 slip shafts or you will have another failure.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

3rd ID has a lot of guys and gals that might not be certified on domestic vehicles, but they do a heck of a job with those M1A1's, Bradleys, real Hummers, and Apache's. But Mike is right, this is not a good DIY project for the patio and a couple of hammers. And the closest dealership is in Hilton Head.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whoa...thanks guys! thats scary. i usually have freakishly bad luck with cars (my last one caught on fire, the one before that imploded), so i'm glad the trend didn't continue. we'll take a look at the bearings just to make sure they're stilll good. and don't worry, hubs is doing this one

@SavannahBuzz Top of the Rock!!