Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with the cigeratte lighter

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with the cigeratte lighter

Ok so I am new to owning a Land Rover. Someone told me that you can only plug in Land Rover approved accecories into the front cigeratte lighter. Is this true? If so where can I find some adapters to charge my iphone and what not. Also maybe something that I can plug usb's into so I can charge other things.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The manual does say that. It also says to plug higher power things into the aux power socket in rear. The wiring diagram shows a 20 amp fuse for the lighter, but the socket is rated 1 amp on the drawing. For the rear power port, the fuse is 25 amp, and the socket is rated at 20 amp, and the manual say 180 watts (12.8 amps at 14 volts). I can't say what size wire is used in both places. Wire size dictates how many amps you can run without overheating the wiring.

The iphone, GPS, and USB style low power devices will be fine. On long trips plug in a small inverter and plug strip to the rear one, and let everyone charge all their small electronics (keeps young people busy).

The "approved" Rover list includes the DD-1000WO (Diabolical Dealer $1000 work order) wifi receiver, it pulls in new check engine codes whenever you pass within wifi range of the dealeship. It is rumoured they have now linked it to satellite radio, to extend their control area to Rovers that have ventured too far away from the dealership. Unplug at night or park under a steel roof.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

" The "approved" Rover list includes the DD-1000WO (Diabolical Dealer $1000 work order) wifi receiver, it pulls in new check engine codes whenever you pass within wifi range of the dealeship. It is rumoured they have now linked it to satellite radio, to extend their control area to Rovers that have ventured too far away from the dealership. Unplug at night or park under a steel roof. "

ROFL!!!!

I love that.

I have noticed on my D1 that the lighter socket up front is shallow. It seems that most of the adapters that I have plugged in to it appear to only go about half way in. It is secure and nothing has ever fallen out of it but it's a little nerve wracking checking it all the time.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also double check to make sure the fuse is the right size. A PO of my Rover kept blowing the fuse by trying to pull too much power and so they put in a larger fuse. This ended up frying the wire to the cigarette lighter and caused me to have to run all new wire to power it.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Plug in anything you want, just make sure it does nto draw to much power.
British cars cig lighters are cigar lighters so they are bigger diameter than American cig lighters so your iPhone charger will wiggle and stop charging, I have mine turned so it cant do that.
Your TomTom will fit perfect though as that is a UK device.