Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Insurance claim

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It's really tough to say.

I've seen 04s sell for $3500. You would lose some money (since you spent $5000+), but save a lot of time and energy and have a newer truck.

Conversely, I have to think fixing it wouldn't be that hard. I would expect a bunch of wires chewed up in one area. That should be pretty easy.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I say fix it. You can pull the bumper and winch, but you have a new engine in that thing. The rodents couldn't have eaten the entire harness, and likely stopped munching once the insulation was gone. Regarding your concerns over someday selling the truck with a salvage title, with well over 200k on it that will be the least of any buyer's concerns.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Joe,
Please post a picture of the gnawed wires.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

first go back to your insurance and try and get them pay you for the accessory you have added, they dont have too unless you added extra insurance but most will.
Do not take anything off the truck untill you have come to an agreement, I sure it say that in thier estimate of TLC.
I would say get the price up to $4000 and walk away and dont look back.

If you go with a replacement harness i have a complete harness from taillights to headlights.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
first go back to your insurance and try and get them pay you for the accessory you have added, they dont have too unless you added extra insurance but most will.
After installing my bumper, winch, and lift I called my agent and asked about adding them. He said it wasn't needed. He said that anything bolted to the car was covered automatically. He said that if I added a huge sound system (his example, not mine) that it would be covered if the box was bolted down, but not if it was just sitting in the back.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm every state and every company has different rules, I sure the rules in Ma. & the rules & policies in Ak. are different in many ways.

For instance once we appraise a vehicle for damage we also tag the vehicle say that it has been photograghed and nothing can be removed without authorization of the insurance company.

Some require that the title be surendered within x amount of days to the registry to be labeled total loss some do not, they what until it is re-registered.
Some states allow a slavage title to be converted to a repaired title some do not.

It best to get the anwers from your company than from someone with a different policy , with a different company in a different state.

I can pretty much guarantee you if you put some $5000 foose wheels on your $500 78 buick regal, your insurance with tell you you need seperate coverage for the rims (bolted on or not).

Last edited by drowssap; 02-26-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Chewing - pix of speed control lever on John Deere. Tasty. Wire insulation is no match for the rodents.

Attached Thumbnails Need help with Insurance claim-p1120625.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
I'm every state and every company has different rules, I sure the rules in Ma. & the rules & policies in Ak. are different in many ways.
Yep. I wan't suggesting every state and every company are the same. I was just giving my experience with my insurance company that told me that I didn't have to do anything special.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm trying, but failing to post photos ... got to be doing something wrong here.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work for a insurance company here in alabama. I would tell you to take 74% of what they are going to total it for and keep the truck and it dosent salvage the title. i have done this for many of the older vehicles that ive had that i fixed up. again this is in alabama so it may be different but worth a shot. then take the money and buy a used harness and still have money left over

Quick Reply: Need help with Insurance claim