Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with my new 99 Disco I

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:08 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help with my new 99 Disco I

I just bought my first Land Rover and noticed a few problems with it when I got it home.
1- play in the steering wheel. I noticed this on several older Discos as I was shopping. Is there an easy fix.
2- It tends to run hot when idleing for a while. I had a jeep wrangler that did this and after replacing the thermostat and the water pump, I found it was the fan clutch. Any advice so I'm not replacing the entire cooling system?
3- its a slow starter. I have to hold the key for a few seconds to get it to turn over... normal or needs work????

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but with parts being more expensive than I'm used to, I don't want to rebuild everything trying to fix something. I'm just not super familiar to what's normal and what's not on the Disco.

Other than that, I love it! I've dreamed of having one for years. My wife and I argue over who gets to drive it every morning.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: need help with my new 99 Disco I

I would grab a buddy and have him turn the steering wheel while your underneath it checkingfor play.
Running hot at idle would suggest a bad fan clutch.You should be able to rotate it by hand fairly easily. Feel to see it has roughness upon rotating it and check for excessive up down play. How many miles are on it? Replacing the thermostat is a cheap and easy fix, that can provide additional peace of mind even if that's not the cause.
Slow starting could just be do to dirty plugs and carbon build up in the injection system. I'd get a bottle of seafoam and dump it in the gas tank. You'll want to do this anyway so start there and we'll see how it goes.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:50 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. I had the samething it was the arm coming off the power steering pump,
I had a wheel alinement and that arm relpaced at a Land Rover Dealer for $175.

2. the fan clutch maybe it, they will go out , I would change the thermostat also.

3. Maybe a starter needing a rebuild , check the CCA on the battery first.
if I understood the (slow starter).

Old 07-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mdoty

I just bought my first Land Rover and noticed a few problems with it when I got it home.
1- play in the steering wheel. I noticed this on several older Discos as I was shopping. Is there an easy fix.
Yeah I noticed several Disco I'sthat had LOTS of play in the steering when I was shopping for mine also. Part of the reason I got mine was because it was the 1st one with tight steering &appeared well maintained. (stuff was well greased)I'm just wondering how long it will be before mine gets sloppy as it seems to be common, and what is the most popular cause? I noticed that I have a P/S fluid leak on my arm coming from the steering box, maybe mine will fail there also as mentioned by Landzu? Is actually the only leak my Disco has so I'm pretty happy with that LOL!

Old 07-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you don't find the fixes, send me your tele number and a good time for me to call you.
Mike