Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help deciding which Rover is right for me

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 5280
Regarding the 04' Disco, are these plagued with the head gasket issues too? What is the cause of the failure? Any peculiarities to the head gasket replacement or would it be similar to any other modern V8?
Dexcool and also high engine temps to lower emissions are some causes for the higher headgasket failures on the D2.

It would actually be like replacing a head gasket on an OLD v8. It's a pushrod motor.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

On more question on the Disco, I don't think the 04' I'm going to look at today has the third row seats, is it possible to retrofit these to a 5 passenger model without too many modifications?
You'd want to find one at a salvage yard or on craigslist with the same color interior that you could park next to, and swap them, because there are a lot of trim pieces and brackets and stuff and you'd hate to miss something, because it would probably nickle and dime you to death if you had to order the missing parts from the dealer.

But yes, it can be swapped.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated!

I understand the issues with a RR Classic, but but not the P38. In my research it appears that the P38 does not have any more issues than a Disco?

Regarding the 04' Disco, are these plagued with the head gasket issues too? What is the cause of the failure? Any peculiarities to the head gasket replacement or would it be similar to any other modern V8?

On more question on the Disco, I don't think the 04' I'm going to look at today has the third row seats, is it possible to retrofit these to a 5 passenger model without too many modifications?
In short, yes the 04's are pretty much prone to head gasket failure as much as any other Disco, maybe a tad less. People claim it's Dex Cool blah blah blah when in reality it's the head bolts continue to stretch over time and cause external oil and coolant leaks as well as internally.

It really is quite an easy job considering it's a push rod motor and easier than other modern day vehicles. You don't have to worry about sealing a giant front cover along with a 20 foot long timing chain and overhead cams etc.

As other's have said, find a 7 seater from the get go.

Again, I really would recommend doing an oil pump and timing chain if you buy an 03/04. Just because the other person hasn't had a failure at 139k doesn't mean it hasn't already cracked and is on it's way out and MANY are glad they took the time to do it because the consequences are dire. It's just not worth the risk over $200 in parts and a Saturday's work.

Last edited by SolbergFanBoi; 12-27-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What!!!! P38? I have 210,000 on mine no problems up until now.. still not ideal tight for 3 seats in the back, you'll never get the carseat clicked in and leave enough space for the boosters. Go with the serII SE7 front facing seats. Im shopping one now for my clan...

Way late on this post you probably grabbed something by now.