Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help finding a front of motor leak please

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need some help finding a front of motor leak please

The past few months I've noticed a very small drip of oil under the truck, more towards the driver's side and up front. Typically, it was a dime sized drop after a long week or so.
The past two weeks I put almost a 1000 miles on her with a few long trips I had to take. All highway driving, with the exception of two huge traffic jams where I sat for an hour each time.
The next morning after the last trip I noticed the coolant was a touch low. I topped it off with maybe a pint of coolant. The oil level remains unchanged. Noticed a few drips of coolant on the ground too.
So looked under the truck today, and noticed some coolant and oil running down the front of the engine. It looks like much more oil than it is in the pictures, I'm figuring as it is mixed down with coolant and such. I've noticed a bit in this area the last time I changed the oil, but now it looks like some coolant is making it run down more.
Any help would be helpful as I really can't see any area from the top or bottom where there could be the leak. My hunch is that these are two separate leaks around the same area, especially as the coolant just started. I washed down the area just now, and hopefully will help me pinpoint the source.
Other info:
2000, 125K, M1 10W40 high mileage. About 1.5 years / 15K ago: Head gaskets, timing, water pump, gaskets, radiator, some hoses and thermostat. Over the last 6 months or so since I had it: A few coolant hoses, rad flush, frequent oil changes to clear out gunk.
Here are the pics:

Old 08-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Yikes, I hope the oil leak isn't the front main seal. That could be some work but, worth doing if it does turn out to be that, because a blow out would be disastrous! Good Luck man!

Old 08-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Yikes, I hope the oil leak isn't the front main seal. That could be some work but, worth doing if it does turn out to be that, because a blow out would be disastrous! Good Luck man!
I'm just not sure. It really is not a bad leak for oil, more coolant and even that is not excessive. Pics really look worse than it is. I will see now that it is clean though. Maybe help me track it down. All the seals were done about 15K ago, as well as timing, etc. Don't think it would be that but just not sure.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
I'm just not sure. It really is not a bad leak for oil, more coolant and even that is not excessive. Pics really look worse than it is. I will see now that it is clean though. Maybe help me track it down. All the seals were done about 15K ago, as well as timing, etc. Don't think it would be that but just not sure.
Huh... Well keep us posted on what you find. I hope for your sake it's nothing major. Maybe you'll get luck and it will just be a simple, cheap gasket. (keep your fingers crossed!)

Old 08-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Huh... Well keep us posted on what you find. I hope for your sake it's nothing major. Maybe you'll get luck and it will just be a simple, cheap gasket. (keep your fingers crossed!)
I really need to inspect the hose that attaches there that goes to the thermostat too. I replaced that hose about 6 months ago, but it was a pain to tighten it. I'm hoping maybe that just needs to be adjusted. Everything else over that way is fairly new. Any idea on if the water pump bolts could be torqued down again? The pump is newer, so the gasket would be as well. Just wondering if I really heated her up sitting in traffic for an hour plus twice. Temp gauge never moved during that. I didn't have the AC on, and being overly cautious as I am I actually turned on the heat and blew it out the window (nice breeze with the roofs open and windows down so was not bad).

Old 08-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
I really need to inspect the hose that attaches there that goes to the thermostat too. I replaced that hose about 6 months ago, but it was a pain to tighten it. I'm hoping maybe that just needs to be adjusted. Everything else over that way is fairly new. Any idea on if the water pump bolts could be torqued down again? The pump is newer, so the gasket would be as well. Just wondering if I really heated her up sitting in traffic for an hour plus twice. Temp gauge never moved during that. I didn't have the AC on, and being overly cautious as I am I actually turned on the heat and blew it out the window (nice breeze with the roofs open and windows down so was not bad).
I think I have heard of the water pump bolts loosening off before. Somewhere on this forum I believe, you may want to try a search and see what you can come up with.
Also, I had a hose on my minivan that someone put on wrong and it was just barely hanging on. I kept loosing antifreeze but couldn't see where it was going. I finally found it when changing out the power-steering pump or the A/C compressor, I don't remember which. I was shocked that it never blew completely off as the hose was totally crooked and the clamp was only making contact with about half the hose! Ran it like that for about 2 years and only lost about a quart of coolant every 3 months or so. Maybe you just didn't quite get it in place, often times the last place you did something is the first place you should look.

Last edited by disc oh no; 08-27-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Maybe you just didn't quite get it in place, often times the last place you did something is the first place you should look.
I hope this is the case. Wouldn't be the first or last I botched a job. I don't think it is this as I have run it 8K or so without an issue. There was another hose I replaced that was a real pain too on top of the engine... have to check that too.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If nothing is obvious with just a visual inspection, your best bet is to do a pressure test. Then you'll probably be able to see it immediately.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO you look like oil may be leaking from front seal. It comes out as "clean" oil, then is "thrown" on to other items which become grime covered. because it keeps coming out that area is a little cleaner than other parts. Try wiping away all oil 360 degrees around the crank shaft pulley seal, then re-check in a few days. If you still need to confirm a leak, when area is clean and engine is cold you can put a finger full of RTV around the crank. Let it cure one day, then when cranked it will make a hair line split and instant temporary seal, which may not last very long, but can be used to diagonse that indeed leak has stopped or diminished.

Seal is about $3, but labor is something else. Spike had a good idea about getting that 185 pound torqued nut off, just lean cheater bar against ground and crank truck.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

185 ft/lbs??? What for? Is this the harmonic balancer (or crank pulley) nut you're refering to? Wow, how would you get that off without turning the motor over with the wrench?

Quick Reply: Need some help finding a front of motor leak please