Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with a wiring diagram.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Huh, didn't see that. That's so weird for two reasons. Reason one being that it lists glow plugs a few pages up, reason two being that I can not for the life of me find wires of those colors, insulated or otherwise.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

There are two different ECDs available in D2 area of Rave, TD5 is in the early one, V8 is in both.

Are you looking for the wires at the EMC, C0636? Do you have the connector off? Looks like a mess of wiring to sort through. Often in situations like that you need to disconnect every thing possible and remove/move stuff out of the way to access what you need to repair. Thought it was going to be easy didn't you? You might find working on the other end from below isn't so bad after all.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EMC Con.pdf (97.0 KB, 265 views)
Old 01-22-2016, 07:43 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, thought it would be easier than this.

I've got to admit, I was really hoping I could just splice into the wire in the engine bay, so I've just been picking through the wiring against the firewall and running over the transmission in my donor truck. It is an 04 however, and I've actually noticed some of the wiring colors are different between the 03 and the 04. For example, the idle control valve plug is completely different. That might be the case. I may just break down and run the wiring all the way from the inside tomorrow.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:25 PM
Pro Wrench

the idle control valve plug is completely different
See that but it appears the CKP should be the same on both. WM shows harness is clamped just above CKP, if so and you haven't removed that yet to pull harness up for access to sort though the wiring you're making things very difficult. You'll probably be better off staying on that side of the firewall for your repair.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:55 PM
Camel Trophy

Well I completely removed the harness from my '04 to pick through and find the wires. I'm not even really sure the CKP runs through the top harness because I might have... uh... accidentally intentionally cut it out while removing stuff a while back. And misplaced it. And now I don't know which harness it runs through. I've cut open all the shielded wires that run to that area though, and none of them match the colors that the diagram lists. Actually, the diagram lists them as Black/Yellow and Pink/Black and there is only one Pink/Black wire in the entire harness that I can find. It's mated with a White/Blue in a shielded wrap which leads me to believe it goes to one of the ignition coils, according to the wiring diagram that is only borderline trustworthy on the '04 harness.

I definitely would prefer to stay on the engine side of the firewall. I suppose I'll jump into my truck tomorrow and just start cutting open the shielded wires in the engine bay to see which set is correct. If none of them in the top harness are then it has to be one of them that run through the transmission tunnel which I fear may be the case, but hopefully not. If it is one of them from inside the trans tunnel then I'll have to run the new wires all the way from the inside. Bummer.

I don't suppose you (or anyone else) has any insight into which strand the CKP wiring runs through? None of the manuals, as far as I can see, state which direction the wires run.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:55 PM
Camel Trophy

Just remembered my other question. Anybody have any idea with the lock clip side of the plug facing you, wires on the top, any idea which colors go in which direction from left to right?

Old 01-23-2016, 12:15 AM
Pro Wrench

Just went out and looked again at that section of harness going to CKP. It probably breaks out of main harness near the coil plugs and rather buried. Good luck.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Harness.pdf (80.3 KB, 212 views)
Old 01-23-2016, 08:42 AM
Camel Trophy

Hey, the simple info that it is indeed in that main harness somewhere which is backed up by the PDF you posted (somehow I never saw that, despite digging in the big rave for two days). That alone is good info and I think I can see where it breaks off from the main harness.

It's 17 degrees, 5 degrees after wind chill, and snowy outside here in sunny Virginia. Time to go work.

Update: I got it rewired. I'm 100% positive I got it right, all soldered up, should be perfect. Added a couple gallons of gas just to be on the safe side. Cranked it a while, no cigar. Pulled a spark plug and laid it against the header, no spark. Any ideas would be extremely helpful. New CKP, new wiring, extra gas, no spark.

Last edited by Alex_M; 01-23-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Hey, the simple info that it is indeed in that main harness somewhere which is backed up by the PDF you posted (somehow I never saw that, despite digging in the big rave for two days). That alone is good info and I think I can see where it breaks off from the main harness.
Glad the helped.

Rather than digging through the Rave manuals it's usually easier and less time to do a word search such as "harness" within the opened PDF document. There are multiple ways to configure Acrobat for easier use.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:43 PM
Camel Trophy

Yea, I've not become very well acquainted with the large rave yet, only the workshop manual.

I am having some new issues now that I've finished rewiring and I've moves to a new thread. I'm truly stumped, for the first time in quite a while.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/new-ckp-extra-gas-new-ckp-wiring-no-spark-77422/

Quick Reply: Need some help with a wiring diagram.