Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need suggestions regarding repairs

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you do mostly city driving, or hwy driving? Give us a split between the 2. With 70,000 miles on a 2003, I'd be very surprised if your rotors were shot. Very likely that you just need pads (and potentially to have them turned and resurfaced) When the truck is cold, stick your finger between the spokes of the front wheels and rub your finger over the brake rotor surface (the shiny silver disc that you can see behind the wheel). Tell us if it is smooth, or it has ripples, or gouges in it. It should b smooth like glass. We can instruct you what to check next after you report what you feel. If you can change a tire, you can replace your brake pads. After you do so, you'll never be able to stomach taking your car (any car) in for brake pads in the future. It's that easy. Sorry we didn't help diagnose the coolant leak before you took it in. You could of fix that as well. So the point is, ask us. We are eager to assist. What you have remaining is all likely well within your abilities. So we'll look forward to your report on the brake rotor inspection. If they feel like glass, we'll instruct you on the next step....

Old 02-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LRDiscGirl
Hi. I'm new to the board, but it seems very informative. I own a 2003 Discovery (70K)and need some repairs. In the past if I have had a problem, I just took it to my local dealership for repair. It was always expensive, but I had a good job and just paid for the convenience. Unfortunately I was laid off from my job last year and money is now very tight. Here are my problems and I was hoping to get some advice as to how to save some money on the repairs:

Tires - it seems I can get Nitto NT 420s from Discount Tire Direct on the internet for $528 with free shipping. Will a local tire place put them on for a small charge?

No Heat/Waterfall sound behind dashboard - I have read on here that I probably have a leak in the water cooling system. How much should that cost to fix? Is it something I could fix myself? (I have no tools and no experience

Headlight - burned out. Do I have to replace the entire thing or just a bulb? How much should that cost?

Service Engine Light - I think it is my oxygen sensor. Cost?

Brakes - Front and Back

Windshield wipers - one isn't working. One of my coworkers fixed it one time, but it's acting up again.

As you can see, I've got a mess right now. How do I find a local mechanic that is knowledgeable of LRs, but will be reasonable on repairs? Is it possible to buy the parts myself at a better price and have them installed?

I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but I just don't know much about cars. I truly appreciate any help or suggestions anyone has to offer.
E-Mail me your tele number and I will be glad to walk you thru your questions as well as any up coming maintance.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:53 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
E-Mail me your tele number and I will be glad to walk you thru your questions as well as any up coming maintance.
i like mikes process for getting girls numbers hahahahahahah