Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral warning alarm never turns off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 06:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Neutral warning alarm never turns off.

I purchased this 2001 disco Dec 2020, I haven't done much to it since I bought it. That will be changing shortly. This weekend I took it out and put the CDL in low. As I moved the transfer case lever towards me from 2 high to 4 high then forward into 4 low the gear symbol on the dash lit up and the alarm sound continued even though I had it in four low. I have read on this forum and other forums where perhaps the gear linkage throw isn't enough to trip the neutral sensor? Or the actual solenoid is bad? Or burnt or frayed wires? When I first test drove this vehicle we put it into four low and It didn't happen then. Also I took a pretty steep hill and once I got to the top and drove around a little bit it came out of gear. Not sure if this is indicative of anything in particular.

I crawled underneath this morning and couldn't see any frayed wires? But I did take a picture of what looks like to be a solenoid at the back of the case? I honestly can't see anything up on top when I'm underneath the vehicle. Please see the attached picture.

Even though I searched pretty extensively I don't see any resolution from others? Any help is appreciated. If you have a schematic with writing so I know what I'm looking at that would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance,

Hugh in LA

Old 11-30-2021, 07:21 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

I believe that's a temperature sensor.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
I believe that's a temperature sensor.
Ok. I did find some info that might be relevant? If the cdl linkage is rarely used it can be more difficult to engage in 4 hi & low, folks recommend pulling the center console and pb blasting the linkage. That's my next step.