Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ABS Diagnostic Tool - ABS Amigo

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha, Mike. I need to identify what is causing my 3 amigos for sure, but if I'm purchasing a device, I want to figure out what I'm really getting. It seems the Nanocom unit may read and clear fault codes other than the 3 amigos so it may be a better overall value for the long term. So, if this unit only deals with the 3 amigos, I want to seriously consider other devices if they cost just a little bit more.

And yeah, my brake light is driving me nuts.

Thanks.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Let me know what you buy, if you do?
Make sure to check your brake fluid level cause that and the e-brake switch are the 2 reasons that light can come on.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also like to know your experience if you purchase the Nano. I am a bit concerend about its avaliability. I am also concerend about how rugged it is. I had a couple of prototypes with LCD screens and they are inexpensive but are very delicate and extremely sensitive to temperature. So in the end, I dumped the LCD screen designs. I am also not so crazy about the button design that they choose on the front pannel.

I also do not believe that the Nano actually works for the Discovery 2. I have seen specifications that state only for the TD5 and that Discovery 2 operation is planned for the future. I then have found documents that claim the Discovery 2 firmware is released but does not work so well; http://www.lro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19820

The ABS amigo works great and is avaliable right now. No fuss, it is dropped in the mail within 12 hours of purchase.

Last edited by Malafax_Dand; 03-05-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Malafax_Dand
I would also like to know your experience if you purchase the Nano. I am a bit concerend about its avaliability. I am also concerend about how rugged it is. I had a couple of prototypes with LCD screens and they are inexpensive but are very delicate and extremely sensitive to temperature. So in the end, I dumped the LCD screen designs. I am also not so crazy about the button design that they choose on the front pannel.

I also do not believe that the Nano actually works for the Discovery 2. I have seen specifications that state only for the TD5 and that Discovery 2 operation is planned for the future. I then have found documents that claim the Discovery 2 firmware is released but does not work so well; http://www.lro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19820

The ABS amigo works great and is avaliable right now. No fuss, it is dropped in the mail within 12 hours of purchase.
Trust me 110% it DEF works . I have tested the ABS systems, looked at all the body modules and reconfigured my BCU settings, enabled Heated Front screens for friends, Disabled the SLS for those that have converted to coils etc etc etc.

I cannot understand the LCD / Temp issue, if your tool (what ever it is) is in the car with you, then it will be at that temperature, so I doubt its an issue unless you drive around with it at -10 in your car lol.

I have no doubt your "Amigo" is very good, its just very limited for the cost imo. If you only ever want to have the ABS faults kept away, then maybe its the tool for "you"

Any diagnostic tool no matter how well its built should be looked after as a precise bit of equipment, so although a degree of ruggedness is a good thing, I dont think its "that" important tbh. I have heard no issues ref Nanocom "falling to bits" and that link was a very early firmware issue, its been updated several times since then. Any electrical device / computer will have issues in its early days, thats just part of lifes on going improvement process.

I think most of the "issues" with any diagnostic tool is to do with the vehicle side, not the tools as they are just so fussy in how they communicate. Heard of similar issues with Autologic as well.

Its all down to personal choice in the end

Old 03-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Mudding

(Thanks, Mike. I checked the fluid level and am in the process of checking the float switch and hand brake switch.)

As for the ABS Amigo...it sure seems slick. I'll have to make that decision after I get my new EBC rotors and pads and then try to diagnose the amigos. So, Malafax, what kind of warranty/guarantee do you offer on that thing?

Thanks.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
4wd Low

All units are guaranteed to be free manufacturing defects. If the unit breaks or seems to be malfunctioning, I will replace it up to a year after purchase.

I fully support my products and usually go above and beyond and help owners out long after the tool has done its job. I try to make sure that not only is the fault cleared, but that the owner gets the problem repaired as quickly and inexpensively as possible. I will always answer your emails.

I realize that the ABS amigo is just the first step in fixing the ABS system on the Disco. So I also want to be a part of the information chain in getting your Disco fixed as best as possible.

For example, with the Range Rover Electronic Air Suspension tool that I sell, I do not consider my part done unitl we get the owner back up and running and spending as little time and money on parts and repairs. I am always avaliable to answer questions about what certain fault codes mean and how/where to get parts.

I am a Land Rover owner just like you and I know how much it can ruin your day to get a sudden barrage of warning lights on the dash. I will not leave you hanging if you need my help.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

SOME THOUGHTS and JUST MY OPINION...

I don't have ACE, nor SLS. I don't have heated seats and have no other goodies. As far as I know, The only thing I would ever need a testbook/Autologic or similar will be for my ABS Ecu and/or Airbag (SRS) system for my Discovery. I don't have a desire/need to reconfigure my BCU.

In my situation, and especially my location, the ABS-Amigo is ideal for me. Then along with a generic OBDII Code reader tackle anything else. I would be set. I also work, on the side, on other people's cars so having an all in one tool like the scangauge works great for myself and "customers". We don't have parts stores that read/scan/clear codes for free if at all... lol

For those of you with ACE and or SLS, I can understand your indecision on buying a device such as the ABS-Amigo that only works the ABS.

The TD5-Nanocom or Bearmach Hawkeye would maybe work best for you guys with those other systems. If I had ACE/SLS I would probably get one of those...but fortunately, or unfortunately, i dont have ACE/SLS.

At the end, it depends on how close you are to a dealer, how often you "wheel", how mechanical you are, and how much $ you can spend for these devices running a cost/benefit analysis on each one.

As of now, urban panzer is the only one who can give us imput on the Nanocom while "Malafax_Dand" and Disco Mike for the ABS-Amigo.

I doubt anyone in the US has the nanocom as Dap-inc hasn't brought in any.

Either way, all of you have to contact Dap-inc.com to inquire about these as he is a distributor for both the Nanocom and Hawkeye devices.

Or directly from another distributor from abroad. I contacted Nanocom and they don't have anything to do with the selling of the device, they referred me to their distributors.

This was their reply:

"We only build and develope the Nanocoms, the distribution is fully managed by bearmach, www.bearmach.com , you can find it to all bearmach dealers and some internet shop that sell bearmach parts." Feb 20, 2008

Old 03-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Default Three amigos and a new tool

seems like an awful lot of time went into creating a device that solves may be 95 percent of discovery headaches.....I must have looked at 50 disco's before i bought mine...all but one had the three amigos...service shop told me 800-1500 to fix...i bought the one that did not have the three amigos (3700). yes maybe 50 more than I would like to spend...but I look at it as a tool in the box....may be I can turn off a few and get some of my money back....just put in an order. i will get back to everyone soon. Thanks again disco mike for the heads up....

Old 03-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Overlanding

I got one of Storey's ABS Amigos and I can tell you that it is, indeed, VERY easy to use. As Geico would say, so easy a caveman could do it. I'll post the scan results below as example. Now that I know to focus on a "022:ECU Gnd or Reference Gnd fault," I believe I'll end up saving time and money versus easter egging it. Now I just need to find out what a "022:ECU Gnd or Reference Gnd fault" is!! :^D

Also, I will admit initially thinking that the ABS Amigo was too much, but then it occured to me that I almost didn't buy my new-to-me DII because of the 3 Amigos and the CEL. Well, a couple of tanks of premium, each with Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant, some Seafoam and MAF cleaning... I've been CEL free for a week or two now. So, I'm left with my intermittent trio of friends to deal with. Resolving a very common DII issue and addressing something that was almost a deal breaker with a sub-$200 tool? You know, in the end, it's worth it to me. I'll add a OBDII reader someday (my local Napa has a free loaner--yay!), but for now this is all I need.

Gabe

Here's what I got for my intermittent trio of friends:
--------------------------------------------------------------
|* ABS Amigo Box V1 RSW Solutions LLC Copyright 2008. *|
|* Land Rover Reset Tools *|
|* *|
|* *|
|* Prototype Version V1 *|
|* *|
--------------------------------------------------------------
1.--Current Faults---->
Active Faults: