Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Audio System

I'm considering a new in dash audio receiver. I have a 2004 Discovery Series II with the factory radio and CD changer. Currently, I have both an XM Roady and an iPOD...as you can guess, wires everywhere.

I'm considering a new audio unit that is satellite ready and ipod ready. This way with the XM receiver module and and a custom cable to the iPOD, I can clean up my center console.

My questions....when I'm done, I'd like my steering wheel controls to still function and I'd like to be able to keep using the 6 CD changer that is already installed.

Has anybody else upgraded their audio in similar fashion (Satellite ready / iPOD ready)? Any recommendations of units that fit the bill? I'd rather not place my self at the mercy of a Best Buy sales person!

Thanks....!

Old 11-25-2007, 06:05 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Audio System

I don't know what the '04 Disco II stereo is like compared to my '99 but I doubt the CD changer will be able to be kept. As far as the steering wheel controls I used an interface called SWI-ALP from PAC Audio when I had my 2004 F-150 and it worked great ... it is a programmable unit that connects to the factory wiring harness and plugs into the back of the head unit; with a little bit of easy configuration you can program the buttons. I also had tried a SWI-X previously which emulates the head unit's remote control but was not happy with the response.

Mark

Old 11-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your sole objective is to have a more integrated system, and not simply replace the head unit, you might try this angle. There are converters available that allow you to turn your CD changer input into an auxiliary input for your iPod/Roady. Some actually have the ability to control the iPod through the steering wheel or radio controls on your vehicle. And some of these converters even allow 2 aux inputs, if memory serves. The problem is, that would disable the CD changer you wish to keep. Theoretically, it would be quite easy to install a multipole A/B switch inline to allow you to switch between the CD changer and the auxiliary input converter. All of this is contingent on the auxiliary input converter you need being available for your Rover. They tend to be available for the most popular autos, but you never know until you research it. For example, the CD Changer for my D1 is made by Pioneer, so there may be a converter on the market designed that happens to work because a more popular vehicle uses the same unit or the same wiring and harness. A quality aftermarket audio store could help, as could the XM fan site and perhaps the Apple iPod support site.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I have an '04 as well and recently went through a similar decision making process. Some of the Alpine head units will work with your existing steering wheel controls through an adapter module, and some won't. The Crutchfield website will tell you which are compatible. I bought an Alpine with an iPod adapter and am quite happy.

This unit will work with the steering wheel controls (if you buy the additional adapter which Crutchfield also sells), supports the iPod, and is XM ready.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...5684&avf=N

This one also meets the requirements and has a nicer screen and easier iPod navigation.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...5684&avf=N

Dave

Old 11-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky.. i notice the Series 1 Discos can not support the dash controls if u buy an aftermarket cd-player (according to crutchfield) I hope someone proves me wrong on this

Old 11-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Guys! This was the kind of helpful advice I was hoping for. Particularly the pointer to the Alpine units at Crutchfield. In the heirarchy of things, keeping use of the 6 CD changer is not as important adding the satellite and iPOD ready states and maintaining steering wheel control. I don't use the CD changer to often anymore. But, I hate to give up anything.

Geotrash...when you did the install on the aftermarket Alpine, were you able to keep the factory CD changer?

Finally, never installed an audio unit, but I'm game. Were the instructions pretty clear? Or, is prior experience necessary? I guess shelling out $50 for an installer isn't crazy....but if it is not that difficult....

Old 11-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cyberbaker

Geotrash...when you did the install on the aftermarket Alpine, were you able to keep the factory CD changer?

Finally, never installed an audio unit, but I'm game. Were the instructions pretty clear? Or, is prior experience necessary? I guess shelling out $50 for an installer isn't crazy....but if it is not that difficult....
Glad to help.

I used to install this stuff myself but I'm traveling so much for work I have other stuff I need to usemy weekend time for these days. So I bought the unit online and then paid Car Toys to do the installation work. I think I paid $100, give or take. Crutchfield also offers a thing called the "InstallCard" you can buy with the gear for pre-paid installation of the equipment at something like 1500 shops around the country, so that may be a good way to go. If you want to save the cash though, the Crutchfield instructions are the best in the industry.

My '04 is an S so it didn't have the CD changer- just the in-dash CD player so I can't say for sure if you'll be able to useyours. My semi-educated guess is probably not.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did all this, and it's not cheap to do right. If you don't feel like dropping at least $5K don't start, really. The Disco electrical system is very noisy and the factory unit is properly matched and shielded, I ended up doing a full gutting and re-wire of the entire vehicle.