Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to disco 2 upgrades. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to disco 2 upgrades. Any suggestions?

I've had my discovery for about two years now and was looking for maybe a lift kit, new wheels and tires to start with. I've got kind of a tight budget being only in high school, but I was hoping for some help on here and to be guided in the right direction as for what to buy and where to buy it. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First upgrade should be an ultragauge

Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by driftology
I was just about to order one (havnt even found my disco yet!) what mounting bracket would be recommended?

Does the horizontal surface mount stick to the dash well enough?

Anyone got any pics of theirs in place?

UltraGauge Mounting Page

Old 09-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a pic of where mine is attached. I just used 3M double sided tape

Attached Thumbnails New to disco 2 upgrades. Any suggestions?-image-1437614879.jpg   New to disco 2 upgrades. Any suggestions?-image-86583489.jpg  
Old 09-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by driftology
Sorry for sounding naïve but what exactly is an ultragauge..?

Old 09-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LRlax11
Sorry for sounding naïve but what exactly is an ultragauge..?
Google Ultraguage. Read all about it. One of the most important things we use it for is coolant temp but it also has many other valuable gauges

Last edited by RicketyTick; 09-17-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LRlax11
I've had my discovery for about two years now and was looking for maybe a lift kit, new wheels and tires to start with. I've got kind of a tight budget being only in high school, but I was hoping for some help on here and to be guided in the right direction as for what to buy and where to buy it. Thanks!
An UltraGuage is definitely a smart initial investment. But there are plenty of other things you need to take a look at before worrying about the toys like a lift, wheels, or tires. First of all, what year is the Disco? How many miles? What kind of basic maintenance has been done over the years? Does it have the original front drive shaft? How about plugs and wires? Do you plan on going off-road at all or are you just looking at building something that looks more aggressive? These are temperamental trucks that need a lot of attention. I'd strongly encourage you to take a look at the major service sticky on the forum and work through those. Then you tackle the fun stuff. Just my .02.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You definitely want to do some research on this forum to make sure your truck is solid before you start tricking it out but that said, new springs and shocks are a good place to start. You can probably find some deals through craigs list or even through this forum (and others) on some used aftermarket springs. Spacers will get you up in the air as well for less money.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:30 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Best upgrade in my opinion is to sell your D2 and get an LR3.

LR3 prices are falling fast and will meet the D2 high end prices soon for a 2004 D2.

Get rid of the wonky D2 engine and wacked WABCO braking system with all the shuttle valve and Amigo problems and just upgrade to an LR3.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jfall
Best upgrade in my opinion is to sell your D2 and get an LR3.

LR3 prices are falling fast and will meet the D2 high end prices soon for a 2004 D2.

Get rid of the wonky D2 engine and wacked WABCO braking system with all the shuttle valve and Amigo problems and just upgrade to an LR3.
Traitor .................. but you are undoubtedly right. The D2 is not for a novice on a budget, they are old, old technology, invariably 10 years long in the tooth with circa 100K miles or more and often owned and used as a 'shopping trolley' by some who failed in the basic maintenance etc. The LR3 or 4 is different technology with some of the good bits from the D2 and omitting many of the bad bits. You'll need to be even more of a computer whizz kid though. I run a 2009 RRS (diesel of course) and is as different to the D2 as chalk and cheese and less problematic.

Quick Reply: New to disco 2 upgrades. Any suggestions?