Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to disco 2 upgrades. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998disco2
No way guys you can never have enough power. I want to make my motor run more efficiently and as a good mechanic and a diesel performance enthusiast I know every stock motor can be made better. Quit holding back, nobody seriously knows where to start???? Its a 5 liter V8 platform there's horses to be unleashed. Also I'm not going down the road at 120+ but I want to be able to spin the **** out of the tires in a hole and who dosent want better gas mileage??? It can always be achieved and a motor can always be made better. The vehicle has been overhauled already by the previous owner as far as plugs wires etc go. Like I said CLEANEST around. So do y'all just not know what to do or should I just go ahead and rip it out and go with a 4bt cummins swap since y'all are no help??
Like Slabrat said... Good luck with that and let us know how it works out for ya.

Land Rovers are not going to be putting out a lot of power. If you want to spin the **** out of the tires, go ahead and try it. Then, you can start a thread on here about how to rebuild a transmission and engine and maybe get some help with that. I don't care how much of a "good mechanic and diesel performance enthusiast" you are, at 16 yrs old, you do not know nearly enough about Land Rovers. If you did, you would not have bought one with the expectations that you have.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Okay fellas so I just bought the CLEANEST disco 2 on the planet. Paint refinished and buffed, garage kept, one owner, 59,000 on the clock, new head liner all buttons, switches, latches, lights, *****, bells, whistles all work, new radiator new pads, new front hubs, arb bumper (with light washers) and winch, and safari snorkel. I'm pretty excited but god damn she's a turd. I need to know what I have to do to get more power out of it. Intake manifold maybe?? Are there anyways of programming these motors? It already has Gibson exhaust and headers. I guess I just need to know how to make my motor better and where to buy it. Give me everything you got from mild to wild. Many thanks!!!
Best sell it and buy a Porsche or Ferrari if you need that kind of performance 'cos the LR is not the right machine.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:16 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

You want to spin the tires? 340 HP

Try this... After you install let us know how it goes.

Land Rover 5.0HO

Old 09-18-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by abran
You want to spin the tires? 340 HP

Try this... After you install let us know how it goes.

Land Rover 5.0HO

There is always the option of the RR 5.0 litre V8 supercharged engine which does 0-60 in 5.0 seconds but I wouldn't give much for the longevity of the drive/transmission train. or the fuel consumption

Old 09-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Is the supercharged V8 a direct bolt in with existing engine management?

Old 09-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

The vehicle has been overhauled already by the previous owner as far as plugs wires etc go. Like I said CLEANEST around.
Well, if it's got new plugs and wires....

Maybe you're driving it wrong, if it isn't spinning the wheels.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

No way guys you can never have enough power. I want to make my motor run more efficiently and as a good mechanic and a diesel performance enthusiast I know every stock motor can be made better. Quit holding back, nobody seriously knows where to start???? Its a 5 liter V8 platform there's horses to be unleashed. Also I'm not going down the road at 120+ but I want to be able to spin the **** out of the tires in a hole and who dosent want better gas mileage??? It can always be achieved and a motor can always be made better. The vehicle has been overhauled already by the previous owner as far as plugs wires etc go. Like I said CLEANEST around. So do y'all just not know what to do or should I just go ahead and rip it out and go with a 4bt cummins swap since y'all are no help??
That's the problem, this is already the improved version. It started out as a 1960s Buick 3.5 V8 and was bored and stroked to what it is now. Youre not going to get much more.

You can do a cam. The cam shift will cost you about 500 plus shipping from the UK and that will get you about 30 hp and torque. Some Rhoads bleed down lifters will help. Ford Mustang injectors. A port and polish, but thats pretty expensive too. Custom intake with a K&N pod filter. This is what im doing to mine right now, but the fact of the matter is that you're not going to build it to 300 hp at the wheels.

And jeez, quit being a little *** hole. Everyone here has way more experience than you with these trucks. ****ing respect that.

Last edited by Alex_M; 09-20-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

TVR used a 5 litre version of the Rover V8 in some of their cars. It's likely to be as reliable as a politician's promise, though.

Rover V8 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-23-2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by abran
Is the supercharged V8 a direct bolt in with existing engine management?

I don't honestly know as it's an RR engine and wasn't fitted to the Disco. I can't imagine it's a direct replacement without it's own ECU's particularly as it's a supercharged version and not a turbo. It would take some research as everything is doable.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Moss
TVR used a 5 litre version of the Rover V8 in some of their cars. It's likely to be as reliable as a politician's promise, though.

Rover V8 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You're casting aspersions on those honest upright citizens of our democratic society are you

The TVR was also very light by comparison and relatively low revving as well. I am not sure about it's engine capabilities and issues if there were many.

Quick Reply: New to disco 2 upgrades. Any suggestions?