Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to disco 2 upgrades. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 05:14 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

If you feel you must get a D2 and can't use a TD5 for conformity reasons then don't worry about the bolt on goodies until after you sort out the essential basics first. All the bolt on bits are useless when you're broken down at the side of the road or on the back of the AAA tow truck

Check the threads on here as many of these guys talk good sense based upon experience and will point you in the right direction.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:46 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a noob out!!!!!

Okay fellas so I just bought the CLEANEST disco 2 on the planet. Paint refinished and buffed, garage kept, one owner, 59,000 on the clock, new head liner all buttons, switches, latches, lights, *****, bells, whistles all work, new radiator new pads, new front hubs, arb bumper (with light washers) and winch, and safari snorkel. I'm pretty excited but god damn she's a turd. I need to know what I have to do to get more power out of it. Intake manifold maybe?? Are there anyways of programming these motors? It already has Gibson exhaust and headers. I guess I just need to know how to make my motor better and where to buy it. Give me everything you got from mild to wild. Many thanks!!!

Old 09-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998disco2
Okay fellas so I just bought the CLEANEST disco 2 on the planet. Paint refinished and buffed, garage kept, one owner, 59,000 on the clock, new head liner all buttons, switches, latches, lights, *****, bells, whistles all work, new radiator new pads, new front hubs, arb bumper (with light washers) and winch, and safari snorkel. I'm pretty excited but god damn she's a turd. I need to know what I have to do to get more power out of it. Intake manifold maybe?? Are there anyways of programming these motors? It already has Gibson exhaust and headers. I guess I just need to know how to make my motor better and where to buy it. Give me everything you got from mild to wild. Many thanks!!!
Welcome! I would suggest you might try creating your own thread to keep on message. Either in this forum or I think there is an engine subforum also.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LRlax11
I've had my discovery for about two years now and was looking for maybe a lift kit, new wheels and tires to start with. I've got kind of a tight budget being only in high school, but I was hoping for some help on here and to be guided in the right direction as for what to buy and where to buy it. Thanks!
Luck8 is a good place to start looking for lift kits. TerraFirma lift kit is a nice kit and is a nice price. OME is a little bit more heavy duty and stiffer on the road. Stick with a 2" lift. If you go above that, you'll have to start changing out a lot of other, more expensive, parts to make it work.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a Rover, not a Corvette. These are gas guzzlin', heavy trucks that take some time to get moving.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:50 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mattmo78
It's a Rover, not a Corvette. These are gas guzzlin', heavy trucks that take some time to get moving.
Exactly - at about 100bhp/ton and the aerodynamics if a 5 star hotel they are never going to be really fast or economical.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:34 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll never get the power (speed) you want out of it, if you're comparing to other vehicles. A Disco, may not have been right choice for you.

All that being said, I just got an '01 with 56k on the clock. One of my first thoughts was; "wow does this thing seem like a dog." It's 13 years old and only has 56k on it.....it hasn't been driven much, sat a while, and/or only on shot trips. Motor flush, new plugs & wires, good injector cleaner are all in order for these low mileage trucks.

I would suggest you find a shop that does BG service/products. BG 44k in a tank of fuel and have them do the 2 part induction cleaning. I just did this on mine and it made a very noticeable difference. While not fast, it feels like my previous Discos and that's fine with me.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:23 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Traitor .................. but you are undoubtedly right. The D2 is not for a novice on a budget, they are old, old technology, invariably 10 years long in the tooth with circa 100K miles or more and often owned and used as a 'shopping trolley' by some who failed in the basic maintenance etc. The LR3 or 4 is different technology with some of the good bits from the D2 and omitting many of the bad bits. You'll need to be even more of a computer whizz kid though. I run a 2009 RRS (diesel of course) and is as different to the D2 as chalk and cheese and less problematic.
it's an 04 SE7 with roughly 92k on it. (it was a hand me down from my dad) I recently put a new fuel pump in and there has been other work done to it but I would have to ask my dad on it..

Old 09-18-2014, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear

No way guys you can never have enough power. I want to make my motor run more efficiently and as a good mechanic and a diesel performance enthusiast I know every stock motor can be made better. Quit holding back, nobody seriously knows where to start???? Its a 5 liter V8 platform there's horses to be unleashed. Also I'm not going down the road at 120+ but I want to be able to spin the **** out of the tires in a hole and who dosent want better gas mileage??? It can always be achieved and a motor can always be made better. The vehicle has been overhauled already by the previous owner as far as plugs wires etc go. Like I said CLEANEST around. So do y'all just not know what to do or should I just go ahead and rip it out and go with a 4bt cummins swap since y'all are no help??

Old 09-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way guys you can never have enough power. I want to make my motor run more efficiently and as a good mechanic and a diesel performance enthusiast I know every stock motor can be made better. Quit holding back, nobody seriously knows where to start???? Its a 5 liter V8 platform there's horses to be unleashed. Also I'm not going down the road at 120+ but I want to be able to spin the **** out of the tires in a hole and who dosent want better gas mileage??? It can always be achieved and a motor can always be made better. The vehicle has been overhauled already by the previous owner as far as plugs wires etc go. Like I said CLEANEST around. So do y'all just not know what to do or should I just go ahead and rip it out and go with a 4bt cummins swap since y'all are no help??
Wow didn't see that coming. Since you already know all this maybe you can help us.
You really should have listened to what these guys are telling you. They are trying to help or were trying. Probably not now
Let us know how the Cummins works out for you..

Quick Reply: New to disco 2 upgrades. Any suggestions?