Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco owner in MN. Hello.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 04:04 AM
BMW
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Disco owner in MN. Hello.

Figured I would post up a thread here and talk about my new member of the family.

Its a 2000 Disco, its a light metallic green with a hint of grey to it. Has the caramel color interior I believe with all the options. Over all very clean for its age. It looks to be something that was kept clean, not just cleaned to sell.

I history is a bit unclear, it was at a small dealer on consignment. I never met the owner, and have no maintenance records other than in the manual it has service stamps from the dealership up to 45k miles. It has 138K now. There is also a recent Tires plus service sticker which led me to find out via tires plus that it had been at 137k for for a synthetic blend oil change, and also had i think* a "throttle body heater" replaced due to the vehicle overheating. It has not overheated even a bit since i bought it.

That is about all I know of its history, but it sure is clean. The interior is flawless other than one button on the radio broke and was clued, and slight wear and tear on drivers seat, not even close to rips though. The only thing I found to be wrong is the rear sunroof just makes an awful noise and doesn't open.

Mechanically, after bringing it to tires plus, there are a few minor things. There is a nipple thingy in the coolant hose right on top of the radiator, which leaks coolan out of the nipple which has nothing attached to it. Very strange to me. There also seems to be slight coolant leak that is dripping onto the most front passenger side sway bar mount. I think its sway var anyways, weirdest sway bar assembly I have every seen. The valve cover gasket is leaking a bit of oil, not much though, and a small power steering leak, none of which has left any drips after being parked in the same spot overnight for 2 days.

Everything else checked out quite good. Suspension is nice and tight, drives strait etc. It looks like the PO just replaced all the hoses, plugs, wires etc. Engine bay look amazing for its age, but doesn't seem like it was quickly scrubbed just to sell it.

As far as how it drives, there is a slight whine that sounds like a pulley or power steering pump that increases with RPM's but isn't very loud at this point. It also makes a quite, short, weird little "ppshhht" sound every 30 seconds or so.

Also, it has coil springs and the ride feels very stable and stiff. I don't know if it came like that or if it has been converted.

All lights on the dash flash and go off as they should when you start the vehicle.

Price paid for your curiosity: $2,300.

Considering i came in WAY under what i was ok with spending i can afford to put some money into making it perfect. I really want a rack on top too.

Thanks for reading my super long post. Feel free to let me know if you have an idea of what any of the things my disco is doing could be.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:23 AM
Overlanding

Check out the "Major Service" sticky at the top of the forum list...there are things you will want to do.

If your gaskets are leaking, you'll want to change them..especially the head gasket.

If you're leaking coolant at all, then bad things are definitely on the horizon if you don't correct that.

I'd actually worry about anything that is leaking or shows sign of leakage around the area...have them looked at.

You got this at a great price which really does afford you the opportunity to fix some things without breaking the bank...good for you!!!!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:34 AM
BMW
Drifting

Originally Posted by Docrithim
Check out the "Major Service" sticky at the top of the forum list...there are things you will want to do.

If your gaskets are leaking, you'll want to change them..especially the head gasket.

If you're leaking coolant at all, then bad things are definitely on the horizon if you don't correct that.

I'd actually worry about anything that is leaking or shows sign of leakage around the area...have them looked at.

You got this at a great price which really does afford you the opportunity to fix some things without breaking the bank...good for you!!!!
Thanks, I did not intend on have Tires plus actually work on it, but my good friend is service manager and he let me pull it in and me and him went over it pretty good. The local Land rover place that's not a dealer is called Expedition Autowerks, in St. Louis Park, MN. I am taking it there next week to have it gone through by hopefully land rover experts and if anything needs to be done they will do it. I usually work on my own cars, and have only owned older BMW's and Audi's and have done clutches myself on 2 of my cars so I am prepared to deal with a temperamental European car that you hate sometimes, but no other kind of truck can give you the same satisfaction.

Also I was deciding between a disco and range rover, and alot of people don't like discos for some reason and always would say to get a range rover, but i just love something about the Discovery's, not sure what it is yet but they are really unique, and very sexy IMO.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

"Throttle Body Heater" was most likely gasket replacement on same. It will leak coolant, but is not the head gasket.

Oil leak valve covers - snug up bolts with 8mm 12 point deepwell "necked down" socket - each oil change.

whine - a Rover wife who wants the house to get some attention - uh, remove sepantine belt and check pulleys for roughness.

If noise is psst being made at idle, perhaps exhaust leak. If moving, anything that sounds like a "chirp" is cause for major alarm - the front prop shaft makes that noise just before tearing loose and impaling the transmission. Shafts need to be rebuilt and have zerk fittings, grease every oil change. You'll see write up in tech sticky section of the 1 part of the formum (covers both models which are somewhat similar).

Coolant leak - nothing should be leaking - see Land Rover Discovery II Cooling & Heating Parts Available from RoversNorth.com for parts layout.

Please download the factory set of tech manuals (workshop, electrical, owners, body repair, etc.) called the RAVE, free link below.

If possible borrow data reading scanner to verify running temperature, gauge cannot and should not be trusted as a precise indicator.

See https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...rollers-43323/ for a source of sunroof repair parts.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-21-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 AM
BMW
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
"Throttle Body Heater" was most likely gasket replacement on same. It will leak coolant, but is not the head gasket.

Oil leak valve covers - snug up bolts with 8mm 12 point deepwell "necked down" socket - each oil change.

whine - a Rover wife who wants the house to get some attention - uh, remove sepantine belt and check pulleys for roughness.

If noise is psst being made at idle, perhaps exhaust leak. If moving, anything that sounds like a "chirp" is cause for major alarm - the front prop shaft makes that noise just before tearing loose and impaling the transmission. Shafts need to be rebuilt and have zerk fittings, grease every oil change. You'll see write up in tech sticky section of the 1 part of the formum (covers both models which are somewhat similar).

Coolant leak - nothing should be leaking - see Land Rover Discovery II Cooling & Heating Parts Available from RoversNorth.com for parts layout.

Please download the factory set of tech manuals (workshop, electrical, owners, body repair, etc.) called the RAVE, free link below.

If possible borrow data reading scanner to verify running temperature, gauge cannot and should not be trusted as a precise indicator.

See https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...rollers-43323/ for a source of sunroof repair parts.
Great info to know. I the noise is definitely not an exhaust leak, also nothing in the drive train like shafts or anything. It sounds like a hydraulic psst like maybe something with the power steering. you can hear it faintly when in the car and outside when standing in front of it. I only can notice it when the car is stopped and idling.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Winching

Going to take a stab and a couple of the options you might have. Is it a 7 seater? and look at your power steering reservoir, does it have 2 caps?

Sounds like an ACE system and the whine you probably hear is the pump. The little air burst you are hearing is probably the SLS adjusting.

As for the leaking cap in the hose, replace it with the updated hose that has the bleeder in the T instead of the hose. It's a known weak point and prone to leaks. Updated hose assy is available from many online vendors.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

welcome to the board,

As far as you truck being converted from SLS to coils, quite possible; on your dash in the cluster that has the rear defogger switch is there a button with a picture of a truck with an up and down arrow? if so you truck is equipt with SLS (self leveling suspension) now peek into either rear wheel well if you see a coil spring it have been converted. Oh if it is a 7 passanger 2000 then it had SLS a lot of people find it easier to convert to coil rather than fix the SLS but it results in a stiff ride when not loaded down.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by photocrimes
Going to take a stab and a couple of the options you might have. Is it a 7 seater? and look at your power steering reservoir, does it have 2 caps?
X2

I still have SLS on mine and it does this all the time. Whenever we get out of the truck my kids always say, "Daddy, your car tooted".

It may well be the compressor letting out the air for the SLS. The compressor is located right under the drivers seat underneath the car in a black box. It also won't run while the drivers door is open. Easiest way to know if you have (or had) SLS is look in the back. Do you have 7 seats? If yes, it's probably the SLS.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:24 PM
BMW
Drifting

Thanks guys, I do not have the se7, no rear jump seats. I believe it is an SE model. There are coils on the truck, but I'm not sure if it was converted or factory. There is no button anywhere on the car that has up or down arrows for adjusting the air ride so i think it came factory with coil springs. Either way I like the way it rides, and i am happy that I don't have to worry about the air suspension going bad.

As far as the psst noise, since it can't be air ride, what else do you suppose it is? I would not be surprised if the whine and the psst noise are related. It does kind of feel like you can feel the psst noise in the steering wheel. Could it have something to do with the strange sway bar assembly on the front? It has a hydrolic shock and a bunch of bars going back and forth. It looked as though this system somehow ran off power steering fluid but I'm not sure.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 PM
BMW
Drifting

Originally Posted by photocrimes

Sounds like an ACE system and the whine you probably hear is the pump. The little air burst you are hearing is probably the SLS adjusting.

As for the leaking cap in the hose, replace it with the updated hose that has the bleeder in the T instead of the hose. It's a known weak point and prone to leaks. Updated hose assy is available from many online vendors.
Thanks, I will be replacing that hose ASAP. Also, what is the ACE system?

Quick Reply: New Disco owner in MN. Hello.